1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teacher's teacher

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear All,
    Have posted the editted version below pl.
    cheers,
    rrg

1 person likes this.

2. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Teacher's teacher

Every year on Teacher's Day, 5th Sept, I make it a point to devote some quality time in thinking about each & everyone of my School & College teachers- from primary classes onwards - individually and thank them whole-heartedly for their contributions in shaping me up into and making me whatever I am today. Their contribution, not only in my education but also in imbibing me with values in life, have been immense. I do this annual exercise out of gratitude and as a form of prayer - heart to heart, soul to soul. Majority of them are no more alive in this world but each & every one of them is living hale & healthy, as I used to know them during my student days, in my heart. This exercise gives me enormous happiness and peace of mind.

In this post, let me reminisce one of the incidents that left an indelible impression in my mind.

Back ground : Our school was over a century old. Generations from many familes passed out from this institution. Also, quite a few old students returned to this school as teachers. Many a times, one's class teacher would turn out to be a classmate of his father or uncles or worser still, father's class teacher &/or grand father's contemporary. It was normal for such a student to be addressed as someone's son/ grandson/ nephew etc. In those cases, alongwith the student's performance, his forefather's curricular as well as extra-curricular 'colourful achievements' - real and imaginary, would be compared openly for the merriment of the class collective, save the embarrassed student involved. Normally, such 'leg-pullings' of the ancestors would be in good humour, without malice. Even the seniors at home, if reported back, would laugh away such recollections. Never did I come across any such 'affected' parent turning up at the school to complain. Also, the involved students accepted them as a part of their legacy and learnt to laugh with others. Perhaps, many of them got to know their father 'better' through such reminiscences of their class teachers. :)

We had one such class-mate Swaminathan whose father, Mahadevan, was our teacher's schoolmate. Swami, an average student, was a playful character and upto some mischief always. This irritated the teacher no ends. As he was not attentive in the class, the teacher punished him a few times by sending him out of the class. As Swami's mischiefs did not abate even then the teacher lost his temper shouting,
    "Aren't you son of 'makku' (idiot) Mahadevan? What else can I expect from you?".
    Also, from then on the teacher started singling Swami out for questioning in the lessons being taught. Invariably it would all end up as "makku Maha's son could only be 'Maha makku' (grand idiot). What else?"
    Soon Swami & his father became the butt of our class-mate's jokes. Being the class leader, I tried my best to dissuade the boys using such taunts. But, when the teacher himself was insensitive, would any boy listen?

I suggested Swami telling his father to come & meet the teacher to sort things out. But, he was too scared to involve his dad as he feared that it could only make things worse. He felt that if only he could manage to get through that year, the problem would get solved by itself. But, the stress he was going through was perceptible.

He started slipping down in his studies to much below average. He was literally scared to even attend the particular teacher's sessions. I could sense that he was more affected at his father being rediculed by even his own class-mates due to the teacher's behaviour. As the class leader and friend of Swami, I wanted to help him out. First, I went to the teacher's house and explained to him the mental state of Swami. I pleaded with him to talk encouragingly and bring Swami out of his depression. The teacher brushed me aside saying that he knew better how to bring the best out of his students.

I had no other go but to approach our school's Head Master without anyone knowing about it. He listened patiently and assured to do whatever he could to help Swami out. It transpired from the HM that both Swami's father and our current class teacher were his students in high school.

Next day, both myself & the teacher were summoned to the HM's room. Swami was already there, trembling. If only my teacher came to know of my role in Swami matter I also was sure to be 'Swamified' by him. I stood in front of HM shivering and did not dare to look at my teacher.

The HM was cool and did not give away any sign of my meeting him the previous day. He mentioned that he noticed Swami loitering in the school's play ground during the class hours and asked of me as to how as a class leader I did not report his absence to the teacher and try to get him back to the class? I did not know what to reply and mumbled something incoherantly. Then he looked at our teacher and asked asto how Swami was in his studies.

Initially when sunmmoned suddenly by the HM, the teacher also perhaps had his own apprehensions. But on seeing it was a 'chappa' matter on Swami, he was back in form.
    "Sir, you know this boy, Swami, is 'makku' Mahdevan's son and is living upto his family's reputation. His father was also your student in high school. We were in the same class if you remember. If the father was a makku, his off-spring is a 'maha makku' Sir. I tried my level best to bring his level up but noticed he was a bad influence on other boys in the class. That is why, I did not take much cognizance of his absence from class room."

"I remember Mahadevan well. I also remember that he was much better a student than what you were", replied HM. The teacher did not expect such a snub and was shocked. I did not know what to do and looked straight ahead. Swami showed mixed emotions - scared to be the subject of discussion but trying to cry & smile noiselessly at the same time, at the turn of events. All that he could do was to end up having a serious of coughs for which HM sent him out for drinking water.

HM now looked at the teacher squarely in his face and said, "I know you were shocked at my comments. There is nothing wrong in a teacher pulling up a student. But, why bring in his dad's name? His father may be a friend of yours. But, that doesn't give you a right to redicule him to his child. Have you ever thought of Swami's feelings when you talked loosely about his father? Please remember for a son, his father is "the first & foremost hero" irrespective of his personal traits and accomplishments. As a teacher, you can not do a greater disservice to a pupil more than deriding his father, more so in front of his own class mates. If you were genuinely interested in Swami, you could have spoken to Mahadevan himself directly. Afterall he was your class- mate and both have the best interest of the child in mind. Instead, what you had done was unpardonable. What else do you expect of a child in his position? He could not take his father being rediculed any more and was literally avoiding you. Now my request to you is to pay more attention to Swami during the rest of this year and ensure his improvement. Please note that I will rate your performance as a teacher, at the end of the year, by the level of improvement I find in Swami. I hope you understand". Our teacher kept nodding his head silently. He was visibly shaken.

By now, Swami had returned after drinking water. The HM looked at both of us and said, "Like I said one's father is the first hero for a child but his teacher is not far behind. They are the ones who lay foundation for your future achievements. You boys will understand import of these words much later in your lives. Never redicule or talk ill of your teachers. Even what was discussed here should not be discussed with anybody else in your class. That will belittle your teacher. Please forget whatever happened so far and move ahead. Swami, I will be personally monitoring your progress from now on. Please keep you mischiefs out and focus on your studies. You all can go now".

We disbursed. Our teacher hugged Swami outside and said he never meant to hurt him. Swami also cried and apologised for his behaviour all along. Therafter their relationship improved. Needless to say, Swami became much better a student and was one of the top five in the class by the end of the year.

This incident took place in 1965, but had stayed in my mind ever since.

Come 2005.One day, I heard our PR Head shouting at one of our drivers, a Filipino. Normally, I have found Filipinos very sincere & hard working. The driver had abstained that day without prior intimation, as he had gone to attend a death in his family. He had turned up in the afternoon to explain about his absense for the day. He had come with his son, a 10 year old. But, our PR Head, also an Indian, would not listen to his pleadings and went on & on, shouting at him badly. Such firings were not new to the driver but that it was taking place in front of his son was something very difficult for him to digest. He was literally in tears and so was his son. Finally, his embarrassment got the better of him and he offered to put in his papers. The other employees who were witnessing the scene were very upset at the way the mangement had behaved.This was when the issue was brought to my notice.

I called the PR Head and listened to what he had to say.
    I remembered the words of my HM and told the PR guy,"My friend. This person may be a driver working under you, for all you care. But, remember, for his son he is a hero, irrespective of his position or traits. So are you to your son. Would you like it if I had shouted at you in front of your son, however valid the reasons for my doing so be? As a PR man you should know better not to humiliate a parent in front of his/her off-spring. You could have called the driver alone to your cabin and given him a piece of your mind. But by doing so in front of his son you have only ended up embarrassing him. Look at the child. His whole world is shattered looking at his 'favourite hero' being reduced to nothing. Please appolgise to the driver personally."

I then called the driver with his son to my room. I appreciated the driver for his sincerity & dedication and said the management is proud to have such people in our organisation. I appologised for my PR Head's intemperance but reminded the driver of the necessity to keep the office informed of his absence, in time. By the time they left my room, I could see that both the father and son were smiling happily.Next day, I sent a small gift, along with some toffees, to the boy through his father.

Not only the driver was grateful for the understanding shown by the management but the entire work force, predominantly non-Indian, appreciated our action. Needless to mention the entire team stood as one behind us, whenever the situation so demanded.

I mentally thanked my HM. Even today, whenever I think about him, I bow my head in reverence and utter a silent prayer for his soul to RIP- really a Teacher's Teacher.

Anbudan,

10 people like this.
  3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir ,
    WOW wonderful incident , well narrated. It is an eye opener to many people who always held their nose on high and fail to notice the little things around us.
    Actually these little things only will make a person a hero in real life.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  4. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks VaniVyas for your FB.
    I wanted to share this incident as a mark of respect to my teachers.
    pleased to note you liked it.
    cheers,
    rrg

5. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

A fantastic anecdote, Rrg Sir. Very glad to read this. Thanks. -rgs

6. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Good Narration.You have also made me think about my teachers.

7. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear rgsrinivasan,
    Thanks for your FB & appreciation.
    Pleased to know you enjoyed reading it.
    Cheers,
    rrg

8. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Harini,
    Nice to know you liked the narration. Thanks for letting me know.
    I posted the anecdote as a small gesture of gratitude to the teachers - who were, are & will be the main architects of our society.
    cheers,
    rrg

9. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

very nicely narrated. a good teacher can have a profoundly positive influence on young children. i have always felt that teaching should be more than a vocation. we remember such guides (they did more than just teach subjects) long after our educational years.

10. kalpavriksham

kalpavriksham Gold IL'ite

appappa
    neththila adichamadhiri irundhadhu

your gesture to the driver is supposed to be the basic quality in all the humanbeings,
    but ynfortunately and sadly we are all
    "tyrants at heart
    Polished at surface"

excellent narration sir

pranams

1 person likes this.