1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Taxi service madaaam?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

[justify]The people were very professional. They line you up, buckle you up, tug and lug making sure everything is in place, put a hard hat on, bring the family together, take a family picture and off they send you. No explanations, no questions entertained. I felt as if I was getting ready for a war zone but kept my fears to myself. The sheer professionalism of the guys is what made me that nervous. I have questions - I want to know if my kids will be alone or with a guide? I know for certain that I will not be able to do with my kids. I want to know why it takes an hour for something like this? Come on someone answer me. I know no one has heard me even though I am screaming in my mind. They fit you in a van and you are suddenly with a group of people, all shapes and sizes and some newly married ones giggling with excitement. All I can think of is wait till you have kids as I look at them and to all those older people in the group all I can think of saying is "So easy for you! You must have had a full life!" You see we were the only couple with kids. This is what happens when you take them out of school for a vacation! Finally we reach the destination and we walk for several minutes which actually calms me down as I get engrossed in the nature around me including those white nosed coatis running around well walking around like they fear nothing.

Before I realize we have reached our destination and I am climbing up the stairs to get to, well to a landing on a tree where we are given instructions. Finally I get a chance to ask if someone will accompany my kids and I get a nod and a firm yes while everyone else thinks I am stupid to ask such a question. The whole activity after all depends on gravity and my kids are too light to carry themselves. I sighed in relief or so I thought then. The relief did not last long as I saw my kids disappear with some strangers on the first zip line. I brave the feeling and reach the second zip line and the realization dawns on me that there are at least 11 more to go including the "Tarzan jump" they spoke about and encouraged anyone who wants to skip to simply do that! Now that answered "Why an hour?" part of the question! Little did I know we were going to be on so many lines. I was prepared mentally for a line, a very long one even between just two trees!

As I get on to my line, my eyes are searching for my kids and I see them no where - we are after all in a group of some 15 people on some lines between trees that work on complete mechanics of a pulley, weight and the line itself. Actually seeing that beautiful tarantula that I have only read about just before climbing up to that tree does not ease the unnerving feeling! The tension builds up in me and before I realize I am on the line again and the "we told you so" that they briefly mentioned in the introduction happens. Not knowing how it happened, I find myself swirling in circles on the line while hanging bang in the middle of some deep forest and before I realize what is happening, my right hand which was at the back of the pulley is in front of the pulley which was still going forward, thanks to that weight (mine) and gravity and all I can see is something chipping off and flying in to the air. I know it is from my hand because I am too close to it and then there is that throbbing pain. As I come to a some what of a stop begin to wonder about how to reach the other tree which looked errr soooo far away I hear a loud, "don't worry madaaam". I watch one of the guys come down from the other end like a monkey, grab my feet with his and both of us monkey out our way to the next tree walking with our hands!

Well, I am shivering and my swollen index finger is throbbing and is unprotected by the heavy glove that has been ripped off earlier by the pulley. The guy looks at me and says "Don't worry, your kids are safe and madaaam we are always ready for situations like this. We have taxi service" I look at my husband asking him to be right behind the kids and with shivering legs standing at some 300 feet high, with some what of a regret ask for the taxi service. The guy radios and I am made to wait while the rest of the group zips by. Finally I see another guide come through the line and heave a sigh of relief. He smiles back takes all belts and buckles and buckles me back up to the pulley quickly assuring me that he will be right behind me as we zip through together! That my friends is the taxi service you get when you are stuck high on a zip line in a forest at God knows what height!

One would think 13 zip lines would take the fear out of a person but the truth is all the lines are different, in the height and the distance part and you never know what kind of a line you are getting into! To put the fear out of you that I might have managed to put into you about zip lining, let me hasten to assure you that it is really not that dangerous, the guys who handle the whole thing are way too professional and when you take taxi service, unlike the brave single zipliners (read my DH and others), you actually get to see the hanging bridges, water falls and enjoy zipping through the forest either inside or over all that canopy of the forest, for our last zip line was over 1km long and some 500mts above the ground and on this line it was mandatory we go in pairs! And yes, I did zip through some of the shorter lines by myself again after the mishap and only took taxi service for the really long ones - honest truth. And as for that tarzan jump, it was too much fun and was my favorite part of the whole thing! Getting pushed off from a height of 10mts hanging on to a rope and dangling back forth like tarzan, how can it be anything else but fun! And finally remember my kids did it and had a ball of a time too!
    [/justify]

16 people like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

LOL Sabitha, sounds like you really live an exciting life. Sounds good fun. How is your index finger btw? I am perfectly content to sit and read about this. Don't think I am cut out for so much adventure after all! :-D

1 person likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Just a little black line left to remind me but am sure will disappear in a day or two! Ah well, we all need some excitement one way or the other don't we?

1 person likes this.
  4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

:bowdown Sabi..:shaking:I am such a chicken when it comes to these things..
    DH and kiddos do it ..I am in charge of the camera :) Someone has to click u see !

2 people like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Just to give you the motivation JAG, there are professional photographers taking pictures and then not to scare you, you see you need to get through one line at least to get to the next tree for those lovely pictures. Now now don't drop the dutiful cameraman role that quickly. We all need those pics :)

Seriously I was more terrified for my kids than myself, considering my DD is just 6!

2 people like this.
  6. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

As we freeze in this Arctic winter you seem to be enjoying the forests and the rivers and that is enough to cause me some envy...

Wow that is one brave family! But honestly I have also thought of ziplining but am too scared of heights but reading your post I think I might just try it sometime in the near future. It does motivate me a little...

3 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Well, we are back to reality Arch! You certainly must zipline - I liked it and I wish I didn't have that mishap but then when you fear for children it is a different story! I thought I had a fear for heights too, well it stems from a fall from first floor as a child but after doing a couple of insane activities, I am getting better! My 6 year old motivated a few of them there...so hope to hear your story!

PS: I had shared my experience of heights and my fear long ago here http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...fear-heights-little-too-long.html#post1991526

3 people like this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabitha,

Sounds very adventurous and exciting!!! Reading itself is making me dizzy! But not for people like me who did not go on a single ride when visited Disneyland. Even when children were going I was nervous for them, though they enjoyed a lot.

Syamala

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

I am not surprised at all that you went for ziplining as your mind must be thrilled to see the nature from a bird's eye view. Perhaps, you would have become obsessed with the nature in that condition. The little worry about the children and the need for taxi service are to keep you focused on your family so that you don't dissolve like sugar in the water, when you see so much nature from that altitude.

I feel bad for the pain you have to endure. I am glad you and family had a great time, despite your throbbing pain.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabita,

HAHA. i echo sacthi' s sentiments. Glad u had a great time, and hope ur finger is well now