Tamilians in Vadodara

Discussion in 'Western India' started by abikeerthu, Sep 5, 2011.

1. abikeerthu

abikeerthu New IL'ite

Hi

We are planning to relocate to Vadodara next academic year. We stay in chennai and we are tamilians. I hv two kids in 7th and 3rd std. Please tell me abt school edu in Vadodara. My kids study hindi as 2nd language but could not speak Hindi. Will it be difficult for them to manage in School? Im totally confused taking a decision. Please help. Also suggest some good cbse schools in vadodara. ​

[​IMG]

2. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Hi abikeerthu,
    you can jolly well shift to vadodara / Baroda. There are many tamilians and you have a malayali store near the rly stn and bus stand where you get all south indian things. You have a Madras cafe also close by.

There are many CBSE schools and getting admission is a real problem. all the schools start the interview and application forms by December itself for the April session. So you better decide on the location and think of the schools. Since your children know Hindi there is no problem in getting admission or in communication. What about your Hindi fluency. A majority of Gujaratis are quite familiar with Hindi thanks to Hindi soap serials.

All CBSE school kids speak fluent English here. There will be many Tamilian and Malayali teachers in schools. Decide on the locality soon where you are going to stay , rented apartments and independent houses are quite cheap when compared to Chennai.
    The climate may not be suitable to those who have lived near sea -coast, here winter and summer are extremes so be prepared to experience the biting cold and chill in winter.
    When you shift take the wet grinder with you.

Some of the items which are costly may be tamarind no good quality available. All milagay podis done at the flour mill by mixing the ready made ingredients .

Hope to get more queries from you regarding your shifting to Baroda.

3. abikeerthu

abikeerthu New IL'ite

Dear Mathangi

Thanks a lot for your prompt response in detail.

My husband has a job near Alkapuri. He rented a single room through broker. The rent seems to be on higher side. Is it possible to get a rented 2 BHK apartment without the help of broker? Also I heard that Bright school is good. Do you have any idea about that school. How is DPS. Excuse me for troubling you with lot of questions?

BTW you stay in Baroda or Bangalore?

4. mathangikkumar

Dear abikeerthu
    I live in Bangalore but I spent 20 yrs in ANAND near Baroda 1983 to 2003 , at present my daughter lives there, so I know about baroda. Moreover I worked as Teacher in a reputed CBSE school in Anand. You can go for NEW ERA, BHAVANS, NAVRACHNA [sama road ],and worst comes KVs in baroda. CBSE schools are more and only thing is you need to be there at the right time to get admission.

Alka puri area is quite costly for rental houses or flats. After being in madras, it will not be a problem to mange distance in Baroda as you may get schools within the range of 10 -12 km distance in ten minutes .

Where is your husband working, as you can gain entry in KV school as per their priority.

In which class are your kids studying?

Sharpen thier Hindi language skills so that they compete with the kids there. You also keep brushing up , all Gujjus are good in understanding hindi , so you can easily converse. All gujjus are very polite and in hospitality they are number one. Honest and non interfering helpful people.
    check online Times classified for rentals. without brokers.

1 person likes this.
  5. abikeerthu

abikeerthu New IL'ite

Dear Madam

Noted down the schools you have mentioned. Navrachna seems to be costly from their website. KV is ruled out as my husband works for a private IT firm.

My kids are in 7th Std (boy) and 3rd std (girl) now.

My son does well in all subjects except Hindi. As he is born and brought up in chennai, he finds Hindi difficult. Kids don't know spoken Hindi. I did my schooling till 10th std in a town in AP Border close to Maharashtra, so I can speak Hindi fluently. My only concern is about education. Other things I can manage.

Thank you once again for the inputs. Now I have some picture of Vadodara.

Regards

6. ninacook

ninacook New IL'ite

i have 2 Tamil friends who lives in baroda last 18 years in alkapuri.

7. mvinodini

mvinodini New IL'ite

Dear all,

Our organisation located at Chhani Jakat Naka, Baroda, Gujarat is looking out for Data Entry analysts having Tamil reading knowledge and basic computer knowledge. Anyone interested can contact me. This is a shift based job i.e. 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. & 2:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Salary is Rs.4100/-. Age below 45 years.

Thanks,
    Vinodini

8. mathangikkumar

dear abikeerthu
    try CYGNUS World school, admissions have started , my gr. daughter has got admission in nursery.
    you can check thro website.

9. abikeerthu

abikeerthu New IL'ite

Dear Mathangi Mam,

Our kids got admission in New Era School last week.

Thanks for remembering.

Regards

10. ahilakaran

ahilakaran Silver IL'ite

Hai Abikeerthu...

Welcome to Banyan City.. I (a Tamilian) live in Vadodara for the past 2 yrs.. already Mathangi madam has given you a brief update on vadodara.. My kid is in Sr. Kg now and she is in DPS. and as your kids have got admission in New Era theres no need to give my inputs on school.. :):

I live in Akota which is close to Alkapuri.. Here the rentals come around 10K (I am telling you the upper limit) for 2 BHK.. And yeah without brokers very rare to search a house and that too when we are new to this city..