1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tamil Novels made into films

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Padmini, Feb 3, 2009.

1. rpvardhini

rpvardhini New IL'ite

Hi Padmini,

I am new to join IL. I am a fan of Kalki and his Ponniyin Selvan. I saw the movie Parthiban Kanavu a few years back. Yes...as you said the movie could not create the magic that Kalki created in his novel...

I heard that Ponniyin Selvan was also planned to be made as a movie. Was that made? any idea?

Bye
    Vardhini

2. rpvardhini

rpvardhini New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I just remembered yet another novel "Kayal Vizhi" written by Akilan which came out as movie in the name "Madhuraiyai Meeta Sundara Pandiyan" with MGR as lead actor. I think he's the producer also for that movie...

Bye
    Vardhini

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear rpvardhini,
    welcome to IL. Very much glad to know that you are also a fan of kalki. thank you very much,you agree with me that the movie was not able to create the feeling that the novel made. you are correct beautiful story was spoilt by making into movie. will write about it.
    with love
    pad.

4. rathisrini

rathisrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Nice thread started by Paddy. I jus joined recently and viewing this thread only today.

(thank god I do have movies based on novel to write for there has been so much of information in this thread)

1) "Kootu Puzhukal" (novel by Anuradha Ramanan)
    2) "Sirai" (novel by Anuradha Ramanan)
    3) "Thikatra Parvathi" (By Shri Rajaji)
    4) "Ponvayal" (Based on the story of Shri Kalki - Poiman Kardu)
    5) "Thyaga Bhoomi" (Yet another story of the legendry Kalki)
    6) "Kalvanin Kadhali" (again by the grat Kalki)

Ofcourse in many cases the impact while reading the book, is not felt while watching the movie.

with luv
    rathisrini:cheers

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear rathi,
    thank you for reviving this old post. you have given so many informations.
    The great writer Kalki'S novel Kalvanin kadhli was made into film in a very stupid manner. though the giants sivaji and Bhanumathi, acted in that movie, they could not bring out the finer feelings as it was depicted in the novel.
    with love
    pad.

6. rathisrini

rathisrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

Yet another addition

Anandha Thandavam - movie based on Sujatha's story "Pirivom Sandhipom" - an absolute thrash in silver screen.bonk

with luv
    rathisrini

7. rathisrini

rathisrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi attai,

thanks for the immediate fb. Very true, as you had said in all your earlier posts, Kalki's wonderful way of writing is the reason for it. A wonderful writer of the era. How many ever times, we read the books, Parthiban Kanavu, Ponniyin Selvan, Sivakamin Sabatham, each and every time the book is like reading a new historical novel. It transforms you to that period. "Thamizh Thayin arputha pudhalvan". We had recently been to "Gangai Konda Cholapuram" and "Tanjai Periya Koil". I was able to visualise the Great Chola Kings in the places as described by Kalki. We should feel proud to have wonderful writer like him in our own Tamil Language.:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown to Kalki

with luv
    rathisrini

8. ish333

ish333 Senior IL'ite

Veteran director Balu Mahendra's " Julie Ganapathy" is a copy of english movie called "Misery". Its not based on the movie but its literally copied . i mean even the actors hair cut and costumes are the same. i was shocked when i happened to see misery. i really could'nt digest it.

i wonder where did his creativeness gone?

9. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    It is nice to see something happening again in this thread. Welcome new visitors.
    Hope to see more active participation from you all.
    I've read Sujatha's Pirivom Santhippom. how about the movie??!! I saw trailor on tv.
    Is it 'POO' film actress Parvathy who is driving the car in NY streets??!!
    Regards.
    Hi Vardhini
    Nice to see one more Kalki fan. Whoever start reading his novels he/she'll definitely become kalki's fan.
    Hi rathisrini
    Very happy to see you here.
    We had recently been to "Gangai Konda Cholapuram" and "Tanjai Periya Koil". I was able to visualise the Great Chola Kings in the places as described by Kalki

So you are also kalki's fan! I've visited Kodiyakarai to see the Kalangarai vilaku & the temple where POonguzhali's character comes as a boatwoman who saves Arulmozhivarman!! But not yet visited Gangai konda cholapuram;
    Regards.
    chitra

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  10. rathisrini

rathisrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dear Chitra,

Thanks for your post. I am an ardent fan of Kalki. Not a person can come near him. He is a saga. I visited Mamallapuram at the age of 9 as soon as I finished Sivakamin Sabatham. When I saw the Mahisharasuramardhini in one of the caves, I was feeling as though Ayana Chirpi was there. But the beauty is gone now, as the place is almost like a Picnic spot now:cry::cry:. I am yet to visit Kodiyangarai, hope to see it soon. Poonkushali is a wonderful character in Ponniyin Selvan, and I love the beautiful verses of Kalki. Nice to see so many have relished his wonderful books:hatsoff:hatsoff.

About Ananda Thandavam (Pl don't see the movie. Its a real thrash) the girl driving the car is Rukmani (One who comes in RMKV ad and lead role in Bommalattam).

with luv
    rathisrini
    [​IMG]