1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tale of my Indian mixie!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sujimallige, Nov 14, 2007.

1. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

Sujimalligae,

That was a good post. You have sweetly vent your feelings about that lady investigating your kitchen stuff and showing off with hers.

When I came here for the 1st time after my marriage, I did bring with me my Indian mixie. Not that I wasn't aware that we will get blenders and food processors here. But wasn't confident if Idli would turn out to be soft(as malligae!). Then on my next trip to India, I got a pressure cooker and milk boiler.

Some of you here already raised your eyebrows for a milk boiler - I got this mainly for my husband. When I am gone somewhere, he boils milk (not capable of using the MW), so would boil it all over the stove due to his impatience to stand next to it and watch out. This boiler's whistle helps in bringing back his attention and he spares the stove. Similarly, pressure cooker is to cook soft rice, dhal and veggies for my kid (if not for us).

:iagree there are all types of utensils you get here be it Indian or Chinese or Italian or American that you want to cook. But you know it is the things at your place that sometimes works the best atleast for some like me. But I definitley don't mean to be like the other lady who kept visiting you to point out what you were missing in the kitchen.

BTW, lots of ladies here seem to be really skilled and have explored ways to do all our cooking with whatever utensils you get here. :hatsoffladies.

Kanmani

2. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear suji

nice post and found it very interesting to read abt the indian mixie tale in the US...

lov
    sowmi

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sujimallige,
    You made me to remember my 10yrs old memories...
    My MIL was insisting me to take hot boxes to keep upma for my husbandbonk.
    When I tried to explain about micro oven etc... she made a big deal out of it.
    I ended up brining them and it is still lying in the attic.

More to add :- I have seen many people still washing their clothes in the bath tub and drying them at their balcony.

~Punitha

4. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

Very sensible attitude indeed.

May be those ladies do not have much to talk except about food and possessions!. One meets such people all the time. They add laughter to our lives. But we will get on with ours in our own way.

All the best

5. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi suji
    Nice post..i thorughly njoyed reading it...what uve written is 100%true....Ive seen some of the desis here r judging type..Right form asking abt the type of visa,exploring our house to see what all stuff we've got,and the no of vehicles we own(they usulally insist of the brand of car they own and sin gpraises abt it)..I shud mention an imp thing here..If we buy a car,they wud ask abt the deal and somehow or the other find fault with our car deal...
    SO its better to stay away form such kinda ppl..

Cheers
    Ramya

6. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi Suji,
    That was a wonderful post! I had a good laugh out of it!! It reminds me of days when my MIL visited us & she was so upset about american mixie when i visited india she ordered to take them mandatorally (summit mixie &hot box ) :queen...

Hi Chocolate,
    I do miss MTR,vidhyarthi bhavan Dosa very much

Cheers,
    Suma

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Although I must say,the dosa and idli batter is much better from an Indian mixie. I dont know maybe because it is built according to food we eat.

I particularly miss the bhel and pani puri stores in bangalore.especially when it gets cold and snowy in dec time.

8. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chocolate,

U R right. the idli batter made with the indian mixie is better than those made with other mixies.

when I was in Kuwait for sometimes, I used to use a China made mixie and though the batter was good for dosais, idlis weren't good. I always used to change the propotion of the rice and dhall to get it right. later I realized that the real prob was with the mixie and not my propotion.

Now , here i use Usha Lexus mixie which is good.It is really good.

bye.

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Suji,

That was a good one.I liked yr kline that my kitchen is perfect with all its imperfections.Loved <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">ur</st1:place></st1:City> narration.Regards.kamal

10. Reenae

Reenae Bronze IL'ite

Sounds real funny and interesting too. You are right - best to ignore people's comments and live to the best of your ability. After a afew years of marriage I still get comments by others on my kitchen and/or cooking (although I think I am a good housekeeper and cook) but I just take it with a pinch of salt and smile away.

Only last week we went to see a couple who had bought a brand new home and the woman showed us around the huge fully fitted kitchen and she was so so proud of the high tech installations in her new kitchen. We all listened to her, smiled and nodded in appreciation and as she stopped talking her husband said " Ah well, there is everything in a modern kitchen, except food!" We all burst out laughing but the "wife" was not too pleased with this comment. We later found out that she never cooks at home!

Take care