1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tale of my Indian mixie!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sujimallige, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

I find certain things v funny in the way we Indians in US carry on with our lives.Thought of sharing one of those here.
    Was wondering y people create such halla ballo on trivial things like having stainless steel plates,cups and vessels.
    I was a new bride when I came to the US.The youngest at mother's home and obviously the most pampered.Didnt know much (or should I say anything) abt maintaining a home and a kitchen.My husband had given me v vague idea abt kitchen needs in the US ( typical men).So I came here with whatever I felt was gud (practically nothing).
    After landing here and meeting a couple of indian families I was shocked when they started showing me their proud possessions....one of which I did not have was an indian mixie!!!
    My husband's friends wives who came to our house used to inspect my house through the microscope and pass comments...
    But it is not fair comparing a couple married for 5 yrs to newly weds.
    I had one particular woman who keeps on commenting abt everything in my kitchen.And whenever I use my american mixie she would start of abt her indian mixie.The funny thing was whenever we visited her house she had to cook a dish that used the mixie to show off her indian mixie that i didnt have.
    So I was waiting for my india trip.When I visited india the first thing i bought was a 110 V mixie.Along with that bought a lot of other kitchen items so that my kitchen is also fully stocked.
    I came back to US with all my newly acquired stuff and my prized possession--- The Indian Mixie...:2thumbsup:
    This time I was waiting for this woman and wanted to show her all the stuff my kitchen has.
    When we visited her she showed me her new acquisition--- a brand new Milk Cooker (which she got from a visiting relative).
    Now whenever she comes home and sees me boiling milk in a vessel she comments abt her milk cooker and my lack of knowledge of running a kitchen....
    So back to square one.....
    Thats when I decided this whole thing abt kitchen is so funny and we couple had a hearty laugh abt the new It thing...milk cooker.
    I have learnt one thing...whatever u have people point out what is missing and so now I am not bothered.When people show me their kitchen I just admire it but never compare it with mine....
    My kitchen is perfect with its little imperfections....just proves that I am so much human...:whistle

2. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

That was a good one Suji & funny too!!

BTW, love your username, makes me nostalgic of 'namma mysooru mallige'!!!

Cheers!
    Ragini.

3. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Ragini for liking and appreciating!!!
    Ya,sujimallige is my fav flower...

4. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Dear SM,

why restrict to kitchen items??? some people are of kind who consider what they have are the most 'IT" things and keep on droning about their possessions. They are the "early adapters" who would like to see the whole world following them.

5. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

That was funny Suji - you captured what a lot of women here would have felt at one time or another. I have lived in the US for nearly 20 years but bought my Indian mixie only about 5 yrs ago - back when I came, they did not make mixies to take to the US like they do now. Just ask anyone who came here atleast 15-20 years ago - our kitchens were fine without the appliances!! It was a totally different ballgame back then - we did not get many many things that is so freely available now!! Anyway - life goes on with or without our Indian appliances. I dont get why someone would need a milk cooker?? I dont ever have the need to boil the milk unless I need to make yogurt, for which I use the microwave. Am I missing something here?

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Suji
    Absolutely absolutely enjoying your post very very humourous Thanks for posting this :iagree some people are that way . I dont have indian mixie too and my parents recently bought me the ultra wet grinder tabletop model very very useful for me. By nature i never compete with such woman and so my kitchen and maybe home is woefully inadequate. My husband and son couldnt care less they just need the end product good food and are clueless to all these appliances. so i have a few items and doing just fine. looking forward to reading so much more.....

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Suji,

That was a humorous post . Who needs a milk cooker when we have the microwave???
    I like my kitchen simple with lesser gadgets the better.

Yes all these stuff have made their entry here only in the last 10 plus year as Shoba says. Before that, we were managing pretty well with the food processors available here.

Vandhana

8. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi Suji,
    If it makes you feel better.. I have not bought anything from India except my sarees and jewelery ..my husband was very clear to me that we get everything here and need not get loads loads from India...my kithchen is perfect...I bought everything here what ever fits my cooking..My mom keep asking me people won't have any space to load their stuff..how come you guys don't take anything...may be I am different compared to others but I am happy in what ever I have and I am a type of person who doesn't compare with anybody!:)
    Tulasi

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Suji,
    very nice humourous post, enjoyed it!
    It is our kitchen and it must be comfortable for us to get along with it.
    As AC had pointed out even my parents got me that tabletop grinder which I got it from them nearly 6 years ago.
    When i went to India this time i got the pressure cooker from there ( it was given on my wedding day, still lying idle and my mom asked me to take it everytime i go over there) and i think only now the time has come for it to come to USA because mine here is almost 'retiring' from its job!
    I agree with AC that in our household too they don't care about the appliances but the end product must be good, this is to me.

I am happy that you got into a good conclusion because comparison does give troubles, headaches and no peace of mind.

sriniketan

10. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I cudnt help but reply to your post. You have a very nice user name. Sujimallige is very nice to look at and smells divine. Are you from mysore/bangalore?I am really glad to see some kannadigas.