1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Taking band at high school??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Sindhuja, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My daughter is in 9th grade. Next year she is going to high school, so i have to decide if she has to continue band next year or not. I am so confused and so is my daughter. My problem is if she takes band she has to go early in the mornings and also spend couple of hours in the evening. I am afraid that might make her more tired and would not allow her to concentrate more on other subjects. But people here (Am's) are giving more importance to band. Can anyone throw some light on the importance of band?
    Thank you!

Sindhu

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sindhuja - my daughter took band throughout high school. She loved it - but it is a lot of work. My daughter was in marching band - and they travelled to 4 competitions between Oct - Nov of each year. Besides that they played at all the football home games. We had to leave the house around 6.00am on practice days - they also had evening practice. It was not easy - but I think, she gained a lot out of it - team-work, leadership qualities, etc. She was also the assistant drum major - so she had a lot of responsibilites. So I would suggest that you check with the school regarding how much time will be spent on it and also talk to your daughter if she wants to continue. I know a lot of kids start band in high school but after a year, drop out if they find that band is not for them. I am band geek mom for sure - I am there at every game they play in - travelled with her to competitions, etc. Even yesterday, I went to attend an exhibition performance by daughter's old school (she has graduated and is in college now!) - I just love to watch the band!! :)

Sorry I have rambled on - your question took me back to the last 4 years!! Now I am an Empty Nester!!:-(

3. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Hi Shobana,
    Thank you for your inputs. My daughter plays clarinet very well. All her friends' parents are encouraging her to continue. Academically, she is strong. She is taking all pre-AP courses and doing Honors math. But, I am not so happy with her time management skills. Hope she gets it soon. All her friends are taking band and she is in double mind. Her music teacher told that the students should be ready to spend atleast a couple of hours everyday (mornings and evenings). Does taking band have more weightage during college admissions?

Shobana, you have done a wonderful job in bringing up your daughter. Hope I can follow you with god's wish. I just tried put myself in your shoes, and I started to feel the emptiness. My older one is 11th grade and only one more year, my nest will be little empty. After a couple of years, when the second one goes to college, my nest is going to be completely empty. But thanks to the technology, which helps us to keep constant touch with our kids. I am sure all the emptiness will be vanished once your DD comes home during weekends.

BTW, how did you celebrate your daughter's birthday? Hope you had a wonderful celebrations.

Thanks again,
    regards,
    Sindhu

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  4. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Sindhuja - not sure if I have done anything more all you parents of teenagers here!! Time management is an issue - I will tell you that at times, my child was not the best at it - and it was a struggle. But the problem is I cannot (or rather could not) restrict her from taking the classes she wanted to - my daughter is just a stubborn, head strong one!! We have butted heads - maybe because I am the same way too! Some kids will listen when their parents tell them not to take a class - oh no, not mine!! I just felt that I cannot force anything on her - after all she is almost an adult - if she makes mistakes along the way, then she will learn from her mistakes. I think the lessons learned this way will stay with them forever - just my humble opinion. I am sure you will do the best. My daughter was also in the AP and honors classes and that is pretty hectic, no doubt. By the way, my daughter played the tuba!! She was the only girl:) playing this gigantic instrument. Is your daughter thinking of marching band or just regular band?

Thanks for asking about her birthday - we gave her a small necklace with her birthstone - blue sapphire. We went to the art fair in the evening and to dinner - it was nice to have her at home. It is amazing how our relationship has evolved - in just this one month after she went to college!!

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Shobana has as always written nice reply. liked itl also liked the gift you got for your daughter.
    My son is in the 8th grade and already i have said no need for band bec. i know how time consuming ti is. but he usually decides for himself. as far as i know being in the band is not going to impact college admissions. hope i helped.

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Shobana,
    She is in marching band. They are planning to go to New York, coming year. I am sure she will have lot of fun. Only problem is I cannot go with her all the time. My older daughter took decision on her own that she does not want to continue band (after finishing the mandatory requirements). The younger one is in dilemma . I have to do decide the best for her. I also have the same feeling that we cannot / should not impose our choices on them. Hope I can come to a decision keeping all your inputs in mind. Thank you!

Nice to know that your DD had a delightful birthday!

Sindhu

7. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Thank you, Chithra. What is he taking instead of band?

Sindhu

8. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Sindhuja

Trip to NY with band - how fun! We travelled with my daughter to Tulsa - but in her senior year, my husband and I decided that since it was her last year and she was asst drum major - so gets to go up front and conduct - we went to all her performances! Other times, mostly I would make it all her football games, etc. Me, being a huge football love high school football - so you could not keep me from going!! Hope your and your daughter are able to come to a decision about band. Whatever decision she takes - I am sure you have thought it over very well. I wish I had someone to talk to when she was first thinking about it - we kind of learned as we went along. I know for my daughter, band trips are memorable! Good luck to your daughter - keep me posted - would love to know how it goes.

9. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Shobana,
    It's was a great honor to be a drum major, and I am happy for your daughter and you. I am sure her leader ship qualities would have doubled then. My DD is also going to football games, though I do not accompany her. I wish to see how they play the band in the games, if time permits.
    Thanks for your wishes. We have to decide before November, and I will let you know my/my daughter's decision.

regards,
    Sindhu

10. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Chitra & Sindhuja,

As far as the college admission evaluations are concerned, the quality of the extracurricular/curricular activities play more important role than the quantity.

For ex. Shobana's daughter showed her passion for band and reflected it by taking / being drum major ( she took it to that extra bit further). Now remember there are close to > 100 participants in a school's marching band. For a selective college, that is a lot of applicant pool to give extra consideration .

Shobana has given good fb on all the qualities that participation in these type of activities develop. (leadership, people, prioritising etc skills)