1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Take time!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kamal

What a connoisseur of music you are! There is none like Hemant Kumar who can impart such everlasting peace to a soul in distress! God has been merciful to you by shutting your Internet for few days so that you could open your 'eyes' to the joys of His world and turn your mind away from the Loos and the 'watering walls'!

If you too are going to be my follower, I don't mind having a lot of lady followers. I know you'll keep them charmed with your wit and humor that they'll soon lose interest in me!
    Sri

2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri:

This was the best part of your response. You took me back to my favourite book. I never stop marvelling at this work. I had once written a thread at IL on the subject. As always, few cared to read or comment on it.

Believe me, I had worked for months on the piece, being deprived of Vyas' creative skills.

My Fans at IL? Surely you must be joking Mr. Feynman!! :biglaugh

Thanks for the care you took to write this wonderful response.

oj

3. PriyaKat

PriyaKat Silver IL'ite

" Stop to smell the roses", all wise people keep telling us. But even folks who nod in agreement, dash out in a tearing hurry to attend the next "to-do" on their endless lists, crying "no time, no time..." But anyone who spares even a moment to analyse this shortage of time can easily see that when the "to-do" item is something pleasurable, something exciting, they are always able to make time for it. If there's a will, there's a way. It just boils down to the priorities we make for ourselves.

That reminds me, there's a bundle of linen waiting to be carted to the cleaners since a week, but I'm taking time, making time, finding time to run through your ramblings !

2 people like this.
  4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

My dear Anna

“We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.”

If I go back and think of the days when I was working I just cant imagine how I managed both working and family when there was not much time. But it is better to be busy and use the time instead of wasting the time doing nothing.

Usually they say do all the good you can now itself because do not know tomorrow whether you will get time for the same. We should never leave anything for tomorrow but make use of the time we have today.So that we dont have to say

Lost somewhere between sunrise and sunset
    two golden hours each set with sixty diamond minutes
    no reward is offered as they have gone forever

Now after retirement I have all the time to make use and I am happy that I am able to use that free time in IL where you get so much knowledge and get to read thought provoking posts of great writers including you. Now a days its my past time to go through your ramblings and learn something from them. But I should also put into practice what I read

5. Cheeniya

Dear Priya
    "there's a bundle of linen waiting to be carted to the cleaners since a week, but I'm taking time, making time, finding time to run through your ramblings !"
    That's the cutest and the best compliment I have received so far for my ramblings!

Coming to smelling roses, it is really sad that there are people who need to be reminded to stop and smell them. What can be really more important in life than that? 'No time' is the slogan of poor Time managers. As you rightly say, if they find anything close to their heart, they'll find all the time in the world for it.
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    Your quotations are only too appropriate for what you convey. You are saying it is better to be busy and use the time instead of wasting time doing nothing. There is a placard that tells people "If you have nothing to do, please don't do it here!' One of the famous sayings that I am very fond of repeating is that 'If you have work to do, give it to a busy person. Others won't have time for it'

A couple of days back, a young man had arrived from Singapore for seeing a prospective bride. His dad was waiting for him in the waiting hall of the airport in Chennai. The boy on seeing his dad waved to him cheerfully and signalled to him that he would join him after collecting his luggage from the conveyor. As his dad was watching, the boy coughed and collapsed dead! Such is the transient nature of our life on this planet. 'Now' is the moment that assumes the greatest significance in life. Time and tide indeed wait for no man.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Somewhere in our life time, we have learned that speed of execution is respected when compared to the quality of delivery (interestingly speed is associated with execution (death) and quality is associated with delivery (birth)). Many times, we appreciate how quickly a problem was resolved without associating it with things that were compromised to accomplish a result.

I am not trying to trivialize the importance of time. It is critical to use them wisely. But what is the point in using them in a hurry compromising the quality of enjoyment in using them? I wish we all have a pause button that we could push when a serious of things are happening. Many times, we do series of actions fixing issues only to find out if we had done nothing, the issue would have been fixed on its own by elapse of time.

What is the hurry? Is this our mind telling us to rush things so that it could get to see the results of its brilliance quickly? The language that we use for getting things done quickly reveals it all ("drop dead time" or "deadline").
    I would rather do things slowly, skillfully and diligently and enjoy the pleasure of doing rather than doing it at "break neck" speed (another expression that does not sound good). Let us enjoy living instead of focusing our attention on deadline.

God credits us with 86,400 precious stones each day. We need to spend it wisely but the balance will be wiped out at the end of the day in balancing the book and a fresh 86,400 precious stones would be credited. Let us respect and use it wisely but let us not save it as there is no scope for saving.

I was in a spiritual meeting two weeks back. One of the speakers told us at the end of the meeting requesting us to drive safely back to the respective locations as follows:

"I strongly suggest that you all start early, drive slowly and reach safely instead of starting late, drive at break-neck speed and arrive dead on time."

This does not apply only for driving and it applies to all our actions.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

you will believe if I say that I did take time reading this beautiful snippet and infact made more time and re-read it! How else would I realise that this was neither about that friend of yours, his secretary nor about the interiors of his office but about a picture! True, true and very true Cheeniya sir. While time and tide wait for no one, how important it is to take time and just be!

My DH really really dislikes saying he has no time - he simply believes that one either likes doing something or not and just makes/takes time based on that preferences including all the lovely things you mentioned that we usually tend to rush through! You are so right just as we begin to do one thing, we are already thinking of the next action!

Thank you for that lovely write up and that reminder :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    An interesting take on Time! As you say, speed is synonymous with all negative sentiments. A 'fast life' is sure recipe for hastening it to its end. I have seen Chennai as a very laid back city in the late 40's and early 50's. I have seen horse-drawn jutkas lining up at Central Station to ferry the passengers to their homes. Trams would ply in the middle of the road at a leisurely pace. No one was in a tearing hurry to do anything. Roads were lined with ornamental cast-iron lamp posts with 100W bulbs. It was under one such light that Sir T.Muthuswamy Aiyyar studied and rose to become the first Indian Judge of Madras High Court. Even the most prolific professionals could find enough time to pursue other interests.All the cultural landmarks of Chennai were the handiwork of these busy professionals.

All this mad rush started in the early 90's. People started telling that one needed to keep running even to stay rooted to his spot! Music fell on deaf ears and rainbows were wasted on blind people. Life has become one big rat race and paucity of time became the most quoted reason for incompetence. As you have rightly expressed, speed of execution took precedence over thoroughness of it. Every one keeps running to God knows where! Great innovations in the field of diagnostics and medicine assure us a minimum of 80 years of life and yet people keep dying at an atrociously young age in ghastly accidents.

We have gone too far into this madness! In this great rush, life has lost its relevance.
    Sri

10. Cheeniya

My dear Srama
    Why can't people set apart some time to watch the birds in flight back home after a hard day's work? They fly with the same grace in breath-taking formations as they did some hundred years ago when a thousand eyes watched them with awe. They continue to fly far above the din of all our mad rush with the same grace but there is no one to look at them! We keep hooting our horns waiting impatiently for the signal to turn from red to green. Green signal to where?

As a boy, I was able to see the Milky Way in a star-studded sky but today the bright city lights and smog have taken the stars beyond our reach. Mercifully so for even if they continue to twinkle like in good old days, where do we have the time to look up? Nothing seems to matter any more in this mindless rush!
    Sri

1 person likes this.