1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Take time!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunitha
    Now that's a new twist to my story! :)
    I think that you should henceforth stand behind the TV and talk to him!
    Or stand in front of it to make him impatient!
    Sri

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Another good one, another one that makes us think!

A few years back, I watched an Oprah show with Maya Angelou, in which Maya talks about the comfort of 'taking time'.The word she used was 'piddling'. Now, I am sure it is easy for Maya with her rock Zen garden and multiple housestaff to piddle at 8am. For poor Vidya, with three lunch boxes to pack, piddling is a luxury, an acquired taste. Still, taking time is the best gift we women can give ourselves in a day. When I did an Art of Living course, we were told to live in the moment. Live in the current experience, soaking the moment like a hungry sponge eagerly drinking the experience- that is one good way to spend a moment.

I like the simple narrative style you use. To average out my praise (my salute as is mocked in high circles), you did take time to get to the point with the parable of the comely Ms Moneypenny Corporate. Still, we never can have enough of Cheeiya sir's works.

Did I ever thank you for such great pieces? Here goes, thank you Cheeniya, you rock and roll!

regards
    Vidya

3. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    The concept of Eternal Now of the Sufis is very dear to me! We have lost the art of living at the moment. We let it slip by unnoticed being preoccupied with the moment already gone and apprehension of the moment to come. Now is the time. This very moment! It wont come again

You know Vidya, you have no idea of the stress you create in me! To be able to live upto the image that you have conjured up of me in your mind is something that is giving me the flutter in my stomach! But what is life without challenges!
    Thanks awfully, dear girl! Just stay there and keep clapping your little hands for this old man to perform better and better
    Sri

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya sir,

A bit pensed to know that I contribute to (also) your stress level. And I am really no lil girl in smocks and pink ribbons, clapping gleefully. Nor are you a thondu kizham. I am an aspiring writer myself, with two unfinished books stagnating at three chapters each. And once I had an agent who was my husband's friend-now thanks to my (non) writing skills, he is neither my agent nor my husband's friend.

Now that we have that all placed- please tell me more abt the Eternal Moment of the Sufis. I once saw the Dervishes in Istanbul- one palm upturned to receive the blessings of the universe, one palm down to earth to channel the blessings. It was one sublime moment- in fact one I soaked fully into my psyche.

regards
    Vidya

5. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    Not Eternal Moment but Eternal Now. It is a spiritual exercise that is aimed at elongating the Now into an Eternal one. The past and present all merge into the Now almost akin to what Jiddu used to tell us about.
    I shall write about it in detain under Religion and Spirituality
    Sri

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Mr.Cheeniya,

Wonderful.How true.We are so busy in our lives.that we fail to notice the beauties of nature.Great one.regards.kamal

7. Cheeniya

Dear Kamalji
    Many people tend to confuse taking time with a laidback approach. There are subtle differences though. But then I am not averse to a laid back style either.
    With contraptions that can store over 2000 lilting songs and the uninterrupted supply of premium scotch in the market, I prefer just to close my eyes and be there in the loneliest parts of our globe!
    sri

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Justhappened to read this post today. What you have said is true.
    I also want to follow as you said in these lines.

Let us stop acting as though we are racing against time. Only when you are on moderate speed that you are able to enjoy the beauty of scenery around but not when you are racing your car. Take time. In pursuing anything, the goal is more important than the pursuit.

In our relentless pursuit of happiness, let us pause for a while and just be happy.

I am always in a hurry, even while writing a post in snippet I dont have patience to read it again just post it like that only. In Mumbai especially it is machine life and noone has time for the other. The people staying in flats dont know what is happening in the next flat as theydont have time to see. Even one someone expires sometimes the outsiders will be knowing but they wont know.

Office goers come so late from office they have no time for children.
    When we used to stay in Hyderabad people used to tell that most of the children in Bombay dont know who their father is as the father comes late home after the children are asleep and they dont have time to spend with the chidren.

Sorry my fb is very long and I hope I have written to the point.

Regards
    viji

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    Happened to see your wonderful and thought provoking post now only. Daily in a hurry, now only i have taken time to go through the post. You have correctly pointed out sir, in our fast world we even do not take time to stand and enjoy the Mother nature the beauty of which is in abundance.
    Sometimes we go through whole days without really tuning in to the beauty of nature that surrounds us. We have a habit of seeing it without really taking it in, yet once we begin to notice it we treat ourselves to an exquisite realm of subtle, complex scents, miraculous forms, and ethereal light. The natural world enriches our entire being through the vehicles of our senses. When we are low, nature lifts our spirits. When we are tired, it rejuvenates us—if we pause long enough to drink from its beauty. If you have fallen out of the practice of taking time to observe the light as it filters through the leaves of a tree, or the concentric rings a raindrop makes as it plops into a puddle, you can re tune yourself by dedicating a day to noticing the beauty in nature.
    It means taking time to enjoy whatever we are doing, to appreciate the outdoors, to actually focus on whoever we are talking to or spending time with — instead of always being connected to a Blackberry or iPhone or laptop, instead of always thinking about work tasks and emails. It means single-tasking rather than switching between a multitude of tasks and focusing on none of them. Slowing down is a conscious choice, and not always an easy one, but it leads to a greater appreciation for life and a greater level of happiness.Now, I hope you will take time to read my feed back.
    :)
    with love
    pad

10. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    Your passion for being the first in giving the FB in IL is well known! That will never allow you to 'take time'. This way you are quite the opposite of oj da. He'll never post anything unless and until it fulfills his exacting standards. He is not a man in a hurry. All perfectionists are made that way. The choice before us is therefore to be a perfectionist or the first. Both confer on a person a distinction each unique in its own way.

About our ignorance of what is happening in our own neighborhood is typical of all major cities. I have written another thread on this aspect!
    Sri