Take A New Job Or Stay In Current One?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anivijay, Sep 25, 2019.

1. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

I am not sure Topaz, what to do? I am feeling guilty to leave this job after all these trainings. And nothing to complain about my manager or team mates. But If I don't accept the new offer, I would regret.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

You are clearly not satisfied with your current job, isnt that why you keep applying to other jobs? Consider you take this new job, best case you become full time. Worst case you are out of job in 1 year. Not like you anyway like your current job from your OP. Getting two job offers within 3 months means you are really good at what you do. So now the decision depends a lot on your current financial situation. What would happen if the worst case happens? Can you manage with your DHs income until you find another job. Only you can answer that question. If that is not a problem, I think you should take this job. No one will guarantee you 100% that you will be converted to full time. You would have to come to a decision based on how you could manage the worst case scenario. Best case, you get your dream job. :)

About training at current job, nothing to feel guilty about it. I used to think like that, but imagine if something changes and you have to be laid off, do you think the management will have an iota of guilt to fire you? They wont! Dont take this training personal. They trained you for their benefit, not yours.

Hope this helps. All the best to you!

Thyagarajan and anivijay like this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Then concretize your cost/benefit ratio and estimate risk and risk tolerance. For e.g.:
    (a) Would you be able to get another shot at your dream company, later, starting as an FTC?
    (b) With a 40% raise, if you maintain current living standards, you buy ~4 months to look for a new job should it become necessary. How onerous is that?
    And so on!
    :beer-toast1:

Thyagarajan and anivijay like this.
  4. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Pros:
    - Short commute (5 mins!)
    - Very good pay (+40%! )
    - Job satisfaction (your dream job!)
    - Career growth
    - Working hours lesser
    - Friendly boss

Cons:
    - Contract position (but with good chance of conversion)

If I were you I would heavily lean on taking the position - the pros are really strong (and the cons in your current job are also considerable). I would go ahead and take it IF I can start applying for other jobs after 9 months (3 months before contract ends) and have some reasonable confidence of finding another position - so that I will have an alternate job in case the Permanent job conversion doesn't fall through. I would also try to be prepared for worst-case situation:
    1. Can boss renew contract after 12 months so that you can change a little later to permanent position?
    2. If you can't renew contract and don't get alternate job, are you OK to not having a job for a few months while you keep looking (visa-wise, financially, mindset-wise :) etc) The 40% pay increase for 12 months in itself could help offset you having to spend a few possibly unpaid months looking for a job. Also once you get a significant hike like this in your career - most times your pay will only increase from there on which is a very good thing for long-term savings. Usually only reason you would go for a lower-pay after a hike is for something else in-return (change of field, some other flexibility or perk, etc)

Another factor that I will consider - team and manager? Do the team members feel like people you will enjoy working with? Can you meet with them for coffee to get a feel for team dynamics/politics?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks Startinganew. This is a well defined list. Thanks for that. I already worked in that company. Atmosphere is quite good. I don't think I can meet the team now. It's not a deciding factor for me. Because, in present company, I don't have any friends. And literally 0 team spirit. More over, in new company I have 7,8 friends whom I can go for lunch/coffee. So hope it's better..

I am quite good at clearing interview and get jobs. That's not an issue. But I may have to travel upto 1 hour. But if I say no now, then every day, I'll regret.

Actually I manifested this role after praying, crying for 4 years. When I went for interview last week, I felt that I am back to home..

Thanks for clearing my doubts. I hope everything would go as promised. But I can manage if worst happens..

Thank you all

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks Jillcastle to clarify about the guilt part. As you said, I am not the primary breadwinner. We can manage basic needsin my husband's salary. My salary hike would cover , 5 months worth of my current salary. thanks

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sokanasanah. The interviewer already promised me it would be converted as permanent job. Because , I told him , I am already in a secure public sector job and hesitant to leave that for FTC. He told thats not an issue and treat this offer as permanent.

I can actually manage for 5 months :)

Just now, my neighbour, an retired english nurse asked me to follow my brain instead of my heart, while this country is going through Brexit...she fears that recession may hit soon.. But I'm kind of convinced to follow my heart.. Lets see....

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:you are already 40. Holistic approach is needed. You are lot better now.
    2. You job is pensionable I suppose.
    3. If so keeping in view inflation over the years, the 40 or 30% increase over present emoluments by no means too good considering that you have to slog it out in private sector.
    4. You may consider continuing with known devil and lead happy robust family life.
    All the best for your family members and you.
    Regards.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Topaz49 likes this.
  9. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Wow... you are in that Brexit country. And you want to believe promises of sunlit uplands ?
    Post Brexit Yellow Hammer predictions include the industry that this private firm is operating in ?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:That comment is a super hammer or sledgehammer.
    Thanks and Regards.

Topaz49 likes this.