Take A New Job Or Stay In Current One?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by anivijay, Sep 25, 2019.

1. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks Ashneys. Yes. Eye opener. I got the answer.

Angela123 likes this.
  2. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

These were my thoughts, I felt would help you to evaluate on things that matters most.

When you get too busy, it also affects your family life, possible conflicts in your marriage. Don't compare yourself with others as there is only one you. Marriage is a partnership and asking yourself "what is best for our family?" always helps.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Hi AniVijay,

From your above description, I see you have not mentioned anything positive work-wise about your job. In addition to slight increase in pay and extra work-hours and work-pressure - you aren't saying anything about nature of job and whether this job will be your "dream job" or something enroute to your dream job.

Instead of 8:30 to 4:40 job, you will now have to work 8 to 6:30 - an extra 2.5 hours everyday which in my opinion - is worth it ONLY if you think the new role is very exciting for you.

In your current position the only red flag is that your current job is boring. Given pay - I don't think that should be a big concern given that H has a good package. I would say - keep looking for a job that would make you happy role-wise.

That said, given that your kids are in high-school and if they are reasonably independent - then it might be a good time for a woman to press the pedals on her career a bit. To observe their mother navigate the career ladder - interviews/cost-benefit analysis with the family, new time-management skills for all in family for increased work hours - would be such valuable skills to learn from one's own mother. Also when they leave for college in a short few years, you might be able to face empty-nest-syndrome better with a satisfying job.

Thyagarajan and anivijay like this.
  4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

You have answered your own dilemma, so I’m not going to go deep into it. But working in a government funded university is a sweet job- sure it might be boring, but you might have teachers pension and other amazing retirement benefits, that not many corporate jobs can give you. That extra time that you have, you could use for a consulting gig or some other passion project. At 40 (you are not old btw), have a good nest egg for retirement is ideal. You could try a more challenging job after the kids go to college... it’s good to be present at this age, even if they don’t really need it. Once they are out, they are out- and you probably won’t have the time to spend with them.

5. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks Startinganew. In the current role, I have to learn 4 or 5 new and different technologies. And assist 4 senior people in 4 different areas. Even though , its good to learn and update yourself, I am feeling uncomfortable sometimes. I couldn't become master of anything. And for my experience, I should be at senior role. But I took so many breaks in between for family. Sometimes, Its good because most of college friends left their job at one stage. But I am able to come back after all those breaks. Other times, I am seeing people with lesser experience than me, earning more, leading a team. Hence the dilemma. But I understand, I can not have everything.

In new role, its going to be just one stream that I already got experience. I am very happy to work in that technology again. But I realise, there won't be work life balance. As Bhumibabe mentioned, I have to be with my kids at this stage. I know, how time is running. And they'll move on. I would always choose kids over my career.

May be I could change if any better jobs comes nearby or may be some other senior role opens up in Uni itself. Till then decided to continue here.

Thanks for all your support.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Hi..I support your decision to continue with current job..you did right thing, I would do the same if I was you...though you're not too old, energy levels do dip when ladies are nearing 40 or 40 plus..so managing longer hours with two kids, especially school going kids without strong family support would be tough..30 percent hike is ok, but if you have to travel far you would have to spend so much extra for transport right ? Like bus auto cab even office transport.. nothing is free..and you would have to leave from home much earlier and reach home late an thus invest much more money on domestic helps etc compare to earlier or put more effort in managing household..and at this point of time do you have extra time in your hands to update yourself with latest technologies? Because companies dont promote you unless you do technical improvement every year..
    A govt job with pension, work place 10 mins away, decent salary.. job security..stability..I would welcome it any day and would never do job search if I was you!

7. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Me again. This time, got the offer at a corporate. That's where I worked some time back and loved it and sadly I had to leave because of some visa restrictions. It was my dream to get back here. It's literally 5mins walk from my home. even nearer than my current work place. I think I am lucky in that manner. I love the office. They are ready to pay me 40% more of my current salary. Its lesser no of working hours. Technology in which I have experience already. More space for career growth. i have bunch of friends working in other depts. Boss seems friendly. But the catch is its fixed term contract for 12 months although boss promised me it would be converted as a permanent job by september. And while I was working there, I had seen many friends joined on FTC and got permanent.

Here in current job, I am kind of settled. But sometimes its boring here. All very senior reserved people. Not a very friendly environment. But, other than that no issues. Workwise, similar problem... had to work in lots of technologies but I don't own anything.. And I deserve better salary.. but job security is there as its a govt job.

Feeling bad to tell my boss that I am leaving after they trained me for quite some time.. what to do?

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Tough call. I don't know where you live, but if it's the US, then keep in mind that the elections loom in November, which may/may not roil markets and affect hiring depending on what this company does. Try to get a probability estimate on the FTC conversion. Apologies for adding an extra variable!
    :beer-toast1:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

You already know what you want to do. If you are ready take the chance!

10. anivijay

anivijay Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sokanasanah.. I am not in US. In UK. Election is just over and have a stable govt now. But Brexit issue is going on for quite some time. The interviewer asked me to treat this as permanent offer as he is 99.99% sure. But HR told me, its his wish and view. And from HR perspective , they could not confirm that it would be made permanent. Tough call. Its my dream company.. But I can not come back to university if I leave now, after 1 year..

Thyagarajan likes this.