1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Tailoring

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunikris, Jan 5, 2007.

1. sunikris

sunikris Bronze IL'ite

HI
    I am Suneeta from keene,NH
    I need a help in finiding a indian tailor
    I have 3 chudidhars which sleeves attach has to be done
    I am searching for a tailor in NH & MA
    I found 3 to 4 tailor shops in Lowell & Lexington
    i heard these people will charge 10 $ per chudidhar.is it true?
    I want to find some cheap & best.

I thought to attach by hand stitch but i am scared to do that..how it comes.
    I don't know the tailoring Otherwise i could have done with sewing machine that what we get in Walmart.
    If any one knows Tailoring or Tailoring shops plz let me know.

Thanku IL
    Bye
    Suneeta

2. ggil

ggil New IL'ite

Hi, I do tailoring works. But I'm in MD.What I suggest is, you can try doing with hand stitch.Because, it is east to take it of if you go wrong. Or, pin it up first and set the sleeve. Then you can do it with confidence.

3. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

hi,

I am in irvine, CA. I'm also looking for a tailor to stitch blouse and chudidhar. I'm new and i don't know the rates here. Since u are a tailor, can u tell me the sewing rates here. Also, do u know any good tailors in Cerritos and Artesia?

thank you,
    gayathri

4. saritaji

saritaji New IL'ite

I had the same problem with finding tailors or them charging an 'arm and a leg' for small repair works. It was a nightmare. Then one time on my Indian vacation, I took a tailoring course, and now I do the work myself.

I would suggest take baby-steps and try out yourself. Stitching the sleeves is ideal, because you are not cutting anything. Worst that could happen is you undo the stitches and start over.

I hope you find a good and cheap tailor in your neighbourhood, but nothing like the relaxation of having one in your home.

Good Luck,
    Sarita.

5. ashraj09

ashraj09 New IL'ite

Hi, friends i am messaging from malaysia. I have deep interest in sewing. I would like to know is there any tailoring institute teaching to sew barathanatyam suits. I would appreciate anyone who could help me. thank you.

6. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

I'm a Bharatanatyam dancer from India. However, I have never heard of any Bhartanatyam costume stitching schools. Most dance tailors learn the trade by apprenticing with a master tailor. Another trick (in case you already know sewing), would be to take apart an old costume and then use that as a template to try and create a new one (I know my dance teacher in Delhi has given an old costume of hers to a designer to recreate something similar for some of her contemporary choreographies).
    Sorry, I don't have anymore information...but'd I'd be interested to know if such a school exists too...