1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Table Salt,Kosher Salt & Sea Salt

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Jithiks, May 4, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Supriya,

That's good! No problem! Infact, i had no idea that Kosher salt was available in bigger crystals than the one I got.

This is the main reason I opened this thread last year to find out the availability of Kal uppu and other salts here in US.

You were fortunate to get the actual kal uppu in NJ. But here, we don't get that in Indian stores, just the regular table salt.

So, it's news that Kosher salt has bigger crystals..should try that next time. Thanks for the info!

2. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Krithika,
    Thanks a lot for the picture. I would try in walmart today.

Dear Supriya,
    Did you get in Indian grocery store. here in Dallas, I go to Subzi Mandi ( I think this shop is in NJ too).. Can I try out there or is it available only in American stores?

Thanks,
    Priya

3. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Krithika,
    I am using kal uppu for cooking....what is the english name for ?

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Saikripa,

I am not sure, but I think Kal uppu means Rock salt in English. But I've not used Rock salt here in US.

Generally, I use the table salt (iodised), Kosher Salt and Sea salt. All in balance and moderation. :)

5. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Dear Krithika,

I usually get our crystal salt(Kal uppu) from Asian Market here in US, its the same what we get back there in India. i was using Kal uppu back in India for making sambhar and rasam . We get this crystal salt for $ 1.49 for 2 lbs.

While i use Kosher salt too for making dry curries,Salads and Sabjis,
    I absolutely love the texture of this Salt.... Esp started liking it more after watching it on Food network being used by many cooks(Giada and Racheal ray.... i like the sound it gives while sprinkling it over the food :hide:, crazy ain't it?).

Whereas i use Morten iodised Salt for rest all dishes.... mainly cz of its iodine content.

vaidehi

6. pixelarch

pixelarch Senior IL'ite

Hi Krithika & Vaidehi...
    Reading all these posts on salt literally made my mouth water... :)
    Kal Uppu as we learnt to be known as in india and as you rightly said is Rock Salt in English. I have seen Indian stores carrying Morton kosher salt the variety u posted a pic on. Im yet to find kal uppu in stores here. Maybe i have to keep my eyes open. There are so many shops in the bay area and each has something or the other unique which the next shop may or may not have
    vaidehi you are absolutely right when you mention of giada's cooking / RR shows on foodnetwork. I simply love the sizzle too. Infact have you observed most cooks there after sprinkling a bit of salt throw the bit across their shoulder behind their back...
    to ward of evil spirits ?
    any idea

7. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya,

After lots of searching, finally i found our kal uppu in Chinese/Asian Markets. Though its little pricey i like it for our Sambhar and rasam.

OOh now i remember Emeril Lagase always throws some salt on the sides, But never clicked to my mind it was For Spirits :biglaugh.

vaidehi

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi and Priya,

Just now saw your posts.

Vaidehi, glad you could find the kal uppu. What is it called..rock salt?

Priya, happy we could make your mouth water! :) I was also in the Bay area for around 5years. We moved to Virginia in 2006. We were in Pleasanton, such a lovely place!!

Me too...love watching Food network, especially when I am exercising on the treadmill...and hey, they throw the salt for luck.:biglaughMy favourites are Rachel Ray, Giada and Bobby flay. Infact, we can learn many things apart from recipes when we watch these shows.

9. lakshmip

lakshmip New IL'ite

hi guys

i hope am not too late respond to this thread ,but i luv food network.
    i am a vegetarian and still watch all the time .my husband wonders why i watch it..coz most of it is non vegetarian.like u guys i get plenty of ideas and tips from it.and about rachael ray salt thing i guess excess salt she has in her hand throws her back.

cooking makes me happy and only thing that i am interested.guys just keep posting interesting things about food network& new ideas etc.

hey lets talk about new food network star...i like her.she gives plenty of tips and i think thats reason for winning.

hope to see some posts...

love
    lakshmip.

10. hd131

hd131 New IL'ite

Hi IL'tes,

thanks for the infromation regarding the different type of salt. i've question.
    anybody know regarding the saindrava lavanam. it's very helpful for people having blood pressure.
    i'm in canada toronto .i wanted to know where i can buy or any other salt similar to saindrava lavanam that can be used for my in laws

thanks
    deeps