1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Table Salt,Kosher Salt & Sea Salt

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Jithiks, May 4, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,

The name "Sel de l'Atlantic " sounds so sophisticated !! :)

Thanks for patiently answering all the questions..and glad that it blends well with our Indian cooking.

Just one more thing..is it iodised?

Cheers
    Krithika

2. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Yes Krithika, It is Iodised Salt ... Even my Table salt is also Iodised one ... Ins't that is good for health ... ?

Regards, Suni ... :)

3. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sundarusha,

Trader's Joe is one of my favorite stores ...and I used to shop there frequently when we lived in California.

But , now here in Virginia, the nearest Trader's Joe is about 70miles from my place :eek:mg:! Whole Foods is further away !

But heard that they are going to open one of their (Trader's Joe) branches very soon near our city..so keeping my fingers crossed and waiting for that !

The Morton Kosher Salt that I bought, does not have Iodine content in that. Maybe it comes in 2 versions..?! Need to check that out next time.

Thanks for all the info!

Cheers
    Krithika

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Of course , it is good Sunitha ! That is why I asked ! :)

Cheers
    Krithika

5. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Krithika,
    Want to know if you have finally landed up with the salt that resembles our "Kal Uppu" in chennai?

I am using Mortan Iodized table salt after coming here to US. Never heard or seen about "Kal Uppu". My mom is her and she asked about Kal Uppu.

Thanks,
    Priya

6. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi priya,
    Kal uppu is called "Kosher salt" ,its available in many stores.Please look for , under this name.

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Priya,

The closest to Kal uppu is Morton's Coarse KOSHER SALT. It is available in all stores. I usually get it from Walmart.

The crystals will not be as big as the kal uppu we get in India. But it will serve the purpose.

I will try to post the pic too..so that you get a better idea..!:)

It has less saltiness compared to our regular uppu.

Hope this helps dear!

Cheers
    Krithika

8. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Supriya and Krithika,
    Thanks a lot for the immediate response.

I would try in walmart today. But then I have a question.. our Kal uppu would be more saltier than the normal table salt right?

Also you have mentioned in the other posts, that this does not have iodine. Then what makes it more preferable thatn the normal table salt? Sorry to be silly I have never thought of kal uppu since my mom asked me yesterday.

Thanks,
    Priya

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Priya,

You are right, it does not have iodine. So, we need to balance it out by using the regular Morton Iodized table salt also. I add this (apart from the regular iodized salt) when making dry curries, to sambar,rasam etc. For the currries, it gives a nice texture. That's all.

Other than that, I buy it for personal preference and not from health point of view. It has less saltiness than the table salt, unlike kal uppu that has more saltiness. Got it?

Just remember, this KOSHER SALT is not the exact KAL UPPU we get in India, but the closest.

Here are the pics...

10. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika,
    sorry for butting in..I have exact kal uppu brought from a shop in NJ.I found it in indian store and there are special kosher shops where we can get the big ones.