1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Table Salt,Kosher Salt & Sea Salt

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Jithiks, May 4, 2008.

1. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Krithika

I have been using the sea salt that is available at Sprouts market that thay sell in bulk. It is the same texture as the Morton salt. I will find out whether it is the same as Kaluppu.

Cheers

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sundarusha,

What is the texture of the sea salt that you use? Is it the same as Morton table salt or Morton Kosher salt?

When these are coarse, the crystals resembles the Kal uppu that we get in chennai.
    Will wait for your reply.

Thanks
    Krithika

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

The sea salt that I use has the same texture as Morton iodized table salt. I have never used kosher salt. I asked my homeopath friend and she confirmed that sea salt is kaluppu.

Koshering is term used in relation to some purification by Jews. Kosher salt does not contain any additives like iodine although Morton salt contains iodine.

She says that irrespective of the texture, sea salt is Kaluppu.

Hoe this helps

4. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear krithika, Sorry for the delay in reply ... I use Kal Uppu which is called here in French as 'Sel de L'Atlantic' (Atlantic / ocean Salt) which is rich in Magnesium ... Please let me know if need more info on this ... Regards, Suni ... :)

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sundarusha,

Thanks a lot for your clarification. Sure will look for sea salt when I go to the store the next time.

Since there is no market that sells salt here, I need to look for it in Walmart ..i guess !

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Cheers
    Krithika

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,

Thanks for the info ! So does that mean , you use the same amount as you would use Kal uppu? Does it vary in the saltiness?

What about the iodine content in "Sel de" ? Does it blend well for our Indian cooking?
    Sorry to bombard you with so many questions? :)

Cheers
    Krithika

7. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

What is Rock salt?used to upu chitti.

8. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Imani,

I've just seen Rock salt in the stores and have not used them. That is why I started this thread to get ideas from other IL'ites.

I don't know what upu chitti is? Upu is salt..what is chitti ?

Cheers
    Krithika

9. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Dear Krithika,

No probs for your quest and you r welcome ask so many so that all can share and clear our doubts ... well, 'Sel in french, which means Salt' 'De is french word for 'of' so it means as 'Sel de l'atlantic' means salt of atlantic ... And yes, this is pure kal uppu and it does blend well ... it is more salty than table salt ... Hope I have cleared :p ... pls. let me know if u have more doubts tooo.... Thanks friend ... Regards, Suni ... :)

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  10. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Krithika

The post that I sent you has a minor error

Koshering is term used in relation to some purification by Jews. Kosher salt does not contain any additives like iodine although Morton salt contains iodine.

In the secnd line it should say Morton Kosher salt contains iodine.

In your post you have mentioned that there is no market that sells salt in your area. You may want to check any health food stores, like Trader Joes, Whole foods etc.
    In our area, regular groc. stores carry sea salt in small containers in their health foods section.

Last edited: May 6, 2008