1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Symptoms of Learning Disability (DYSLEXIA)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by padmavathi m, Aug 15, 2008.

1. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Dear friends,

The knowledge what i have gained through my Special Education course............i thought of sharing it with you all.........it may be useful to some parent or teachers here in our forum..............

Checklist of symptoms of Learning Disability
    Does the individual have difficulty with :

ORGANISATION

1. Knowing time date year
    2. managing time
    3. Completing assignments
    4. Organising thoughts
    5. Locating belongings
    6. Carrying out a plan
    7. making decisions
    8. Sequencing

MEMORY

1. Remembering direcions
    2. Learning Math Facts
    3. Learning new procedures
    4. Learning the alphabet
    5. Identifying letters
    6. Remembering names
    7. Remembering events
    8. Spelling
    9. Studying for tests

PHYSICAL CO-ORDINATION

1. Manipulating small objects
    2. Learning self- help skills
    3. Cutting
    4. Drawing
    5. Handwriting
    6. Climbing & running
    7. Mastering sports

ATTENTION & CONCENTRATION

1. Completing a task
    2. Acting before thinking
    3. Poor Organising
    4. Waiting
    5. Restlessness
    6. Daydreaming
    7. Distractibility

SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR

1. Making & keeping friends
    2. Social judgement
    3. Impulsive behaviour
    4. Frustration tolerance
    5. Sportsmanship
    6. Accepting changes in sounds routine
    7. Interpreting non verbal cues
    8. Working co-operatively

these are the few areas one need to check in a child....apart from the academics........... if you have checked several symptoms, one should really take steps to remediate the child.............
    It can be identified even at the early age of 5 years................At that age they are not called dyslexics but 'at risk' children, who may later become dyslexics...........Early identification and early remediation is much more easier

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
    sindmani likes this.

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Padma,

It is so nice of you...that you shared with us.

Thanks,

3. padmavathi m

Dear Gowri,

thanks for your immediate fb

The Emotional Stress and family tensions what i was going through .....for the past 6 years..............i thought this would be useful to the parents......that was the reason for me to post it here in IL

Constantly meeting failures in school affect these children, emotionally. They begin to develop low self esteem...................

4. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Dear Padma,

I agree with your words. Don't worry about anything !! All your tensions/stresses will be off on a fine morning !! My wishes to you, always,

With love,

5. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Padma

Its so nice of u post this informative one. Definitely it will be very useful for many parents/teachers. U r a strong women & a very good mother, I talk about u, Keerthi & Archana(IL user) with my DH many a times.

BTW howz Keerthi & ur second one(sorry I forgot her name) doing?

Thanks once again.Bow

Dhivya

6. padmavathi m

dear friends,

There are several misconceptions about dyslexics - that they are slow learners, mentally retarded, slow in comprehension, emotionally disturbed, totally unfit for learning etc. This is not true................they have problems only in reading, writing, spelling and sometimes arithmetic but not in thinking.........

Being an invisible disability, educators are left wondering why an apparently normal healthy child is an underachiever and are puzzled by the difference in the intellectual potential and actual performance of the dyslexia child...........this results in the labelling of these children as lazy, unmotivated, spoilt, careless and untidy disorganised, morons, etc., The 'WHY" syndrome sets in both the teacher and the taught.........The teachers are at a loss to know how to teach these dyslexic children and the parents are helpless and as a result these children usually, give up any hope of passing before they enter the high school. This constant failure to perform in school brings about emotional problems in them.........

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  7. padmavathi m

Dear Dhivya,

So nice of dear to remember krithikaa...............the 2nd one is ankitha............
    these informations will definitely help a mother to identify her child, which i failed to do when krithi had a problem when she used to struggle a lot in learning alphabets........like 'b' for 'd'...........'y' for 'u', 'how' for 'who', 'home' for 'house'...and so on........i struggled with these problems for 6 years..................

8. deepavenkatesh

deepavenkatesh New IL'ite

Dear friends,
    I am a silent reader of il.
    my friend is facing a problem b'cos of her son.
    Her son is studying 8th std.
    apart from studies he is very smart in day to day activities.
    he is very poor in his studies.
    so she sent him for tution but he was not regular and finally did not go to tution.
    day by day he started taking leave for some or the other reasons.
    this gradually developed and has ended in saying that he will not go to school.

evey day he start to school crying but he jumps from the bike or runs around the house.
    this has become everyday drama.

my friend and her hubby enquired in school about the teacher, his friends everything . all are normal there is problem in the school or in his friends side.
    He doesnt say any reason for not going to school.
    as per my advice she took him to a child psychiatrist.
    they have said that ,u should atleast come for 3 or 4 sitting then only we can identify the problem.
    but the thing is 1st time he went but the next sitting he is refusing to come to the hospital and runs around the house.

he is a brilliant child apart from studies.
    if we show signs thro our eye movement also he will understand and do the thing.
    so, now v r unable to detect what is wrong with him?

could anyone suggest any idea?pl do help:idea

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, another Krithika here. Thanks for sharing this with us; it will help so many of us when our time comes. Are you with a special educator now or did you train to be one? You remind me of another mom I've heard about. She basically looked under every leaf to find what was the issue with her son; who was also dyslexic. This was a couple of decades ago. She became his strength and her persistence prevailed over the school. At some point, they stopped pushing the child and embraced his talent in arts. Just wanted to tell you, You Rock!

10. deepavenkatesh

deepavenkatesh New IL'ite

hi tikka,
    It is not yet diagnoised as dyslexia.
    since he is not cooperating for consultation, my friend is still wondering
    what to do?
    IF ANYBODY HAS HEARD OR COME ACROSS SUCH SITUATION PL SUGGEST SOME IDEA?
    BYE
    deepa.