Sydney in general & UNSW in particular

Discussion in 'Indians in Sydney' started by Vaijayanthi, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Smita4679

Smita4679 Senior IL'ite

Re: Moving to Sydney..Some info needed.

Hi -
    I am Smita, living in Chennai, am married and have a 2 year old baby. We are considering migrating to Australia and have initiated the PR processing.

I am a software professional(Mainframes) with over 5 yrs experience, currently working in an MNC. Since my husband is a business person, I would be the primary applicant on the visa.I have a few questions regarding work and life in Australia. I came across this particular forum and found it very helpful. It would be great if someone could help me out by answering my questions -
    1) What are the job opportunities for Mainframe professionals? On browsing thru job search sites, I find that most of the Mainframe jobs are in Sydney and i also realize that they are not as prelavent as Java/J2EE requirements....
    2) Looking into salary figures, what would be a decent salary per annum for a mainframe person?
    3) What are the possibilities of getting a job in Australia from here in India?Do recruiters conducts such kind of telephonic interviews?

Any suggestions/information would be helpful.

Thankyou...

2. sky98

sky98 New IL'ite

Hi Smita
    Getting a job while you are in India, would be easier, once your PR is through. Most of teh agents would not like to process Work Permit, unless, your line of work is extremely rare and its hard to fing people within australia. However, try and talk to a few agents and see if they are willing to employ you in their Indian branches if any and then transfer you off to Australia once your PR is processed.. just a suggestion only.
    Cheers
    Sky98

3. Smita4679

Smita4679 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sky98, thanx for your prompt response and advise. I shall check that out..

4. gayathri1981

gayathri1981 Senior IL'ite

Need info on employment in sydney/melbourne

Hello All

I live in the US presently, likely to move to sydney/melbourne shortly.

I hold an MBA degree from India, also I have 2 years of experience in India in a telecom company and in a financial advisory company.

But its been a while, since i quit my job, since I was a Dependant in the US, I could not work.

and My husband and I are already holding an Australia PR also got our visa stamped already.

My question is after we go there, My husband is into IT, he will definitely get into a good job, no worries. But i am sincerely looking forward for a good employment relevant to my education.

so does any of you have any ideas/suggestion/recommendation or info , It would be very helpful. like

1.other than IT which other Industry is viable now in Australian cities?

2.my areas of interest. 1.banking 2. Advertising 3.marketing&promotion 4.corporate communication.

3. Any of you are aware . I have also done a course and training on SAP. So is it possible to get a job in an entry level position in the SAP platform?

i am eagerly looking forward for any response.

Thanks a million in advance
    Gayathri

5. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

Re: Need info on employment in sydney/melbourne

Dear Gayathri,

Your qualifications are good for you to fit into the Financial sector. With a degree in SAP, you should not have any probs getting a job.

Just browse online the various jobs on offer on the The age on Saturday & Wednesday.

Alternatively, I have given a few websites for jobs in the financial sector in one of the threads. Please go through them.

Regards,

C

6. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Sorry Sujaa,
    I had problems with my Laptop and work was also demanding causing delay. To be frank I am be now (even) not going to reply much of your questions. I believe 4 to 6 K AUD shoud be enough for a Middle class life(Oz ILites please confirm as I left sydney 7 months back)

For groceries if you are purchasing in indian store(Pls find the list here of few Indian grocery stores and basic details about sydney here http://www.chingrimaachh.com.au/2007-apr-22-sydney ) it would be not more than 400-600 AUD per month for 3 people.

I usually buy veggies in paddys market. which is there in Sydney CBD and Flemington( http://www.paddysmarkets.com.au/ ). I used to manage within 120 AUD for a month with 2 veggies every day.

U can also buy in Aldi ( www.[B]aldi[/B].com.au/ ) , coles ( www.coles.com.au/ ) and wolworths ( www.woolworths.com.au/ ) but they are costly.

Iam not the right person to give info on PR benefits and Non veg foodies.....

I feel you dont require car in sydney as there are very good public transport and the parking rates in city are very high and getting a parking place in CBD is also not easy. This is all my experience. It may be that my views or perception are diferent. I used t rent car on week end travels which I found more chaper than owning a car and the RTA renewals and maintenace cost.

7. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

New to Sydney-"No worries mate" Grocery and veggie shop locator guide

Hi ILites,

Here I would like to list few details on the grocery and veggie shops locator in the suburb nearest to you

Aldi is one of the retail where you get most of the basic amenities, but items are not a famous brands..... Still I am confident that they would not compromise in their quality.. Also the products are comparitively cheaper than their competitors.

ALDI - store locations and opening hours

Coles and Coles express are another chain retail stores in sydney. These usually have all the famous brands marketed or manufactured groceries and they have vegetables too. I think the major difference betwen coles and coles express is the former's huge size of the store and stocked with many different varieties, where as the latter is restricted in both the factors.

coles store locator
    Coles Store Locations

coles express
    Coles Express - Location finder

Woolworths is another big retail chain in Oz land. It is similar to coles and also sells most famous brands of groceries and veggies too....

Woolworths store locator
    Store Locator

Last but not the least is my favourite veggie shopping market. I even feel that I am in my home town market when I am there. I love to shp here just because you get all kinds of seasonal fruits and veggies here. Basically here its cheap and fresh than all the shops mentioned in the list above... I think I am becoming a brand ambasidor for Paddys market. Here you can even bargain and still choose quality veggies by shooping during the closing hours.....
    This market is in two places in sydney. If you use your car then there is amplem parking space available in Flemington.
    Both the Hay market place and Flemington are well connected by public transport and you can find the possible transport information from 131500: Transport Infoline -

Paddys market locator
    How to get to Sydney's Paddy's Markets Flemington & Haymarket

You have a number of Indian grocery stores.
    this site can provide you a partial list of the available Indian or Yalzhpana Thamilzh ethnic's grocery store
    Sydney | Indian and South Asian expats in Australia

Now I here you asking me how to reach these places..
    Its easy too just tyoe your source and destination stores dress in the folowing site which will guide you with the route to either drive or rach by walk

whereis.com - Unsupported browser

ILites please fill in your knowledge on the same and appreciate your queries on the same

8. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Re: New to Sydney-"No worries mate" Grocery and veggie shop locator guide

Hi though I havent used this service of home delivery of groceries I found it interesting and thought of sharing with people who find it dificult to balance betwen career and personal life and would like to spare time

ShopFast.com.au - The Fresh New Way to Buy Groceries

If any one has used this service options do comment and share your experiences

9. svrlax

svrlax Senior IL'ite

Re: New to Sydney-"No worries mate" rental home search tips

I have stayed for a long time away from this thread.

Thanks a lot for reminding me about the Condition report Sky98. That was a wonderful point. So thought of detailing somethings on the same

I dont remember, how I forgot to mention about this important thing though after seeing many of my colleagues and friends paying huge amounts for just because they didnt give the right weightage to the condition report when they entered.

Only myself and one of my colleague escaped from not being penalised. I wasnt because the guy was a very good guy. My colleague because he mitigated all the risk when he occupied the house by meticulously detailing the condition report.

Do every thing to put things black and white, in bold and limelight when you occupy the house. Do take photos and share with your property agent. When something like water seepge or cracks widening or new cracks happening during your stay, keep the agent on heels and detail and completely explain him ib Emails with photographs.

Also if needed I suggest you let your agent authorised cleaner to clean the house when you vacate so that you can ensure that he cleans properly, else you can Immediately call the property agent and say that he hasnt done the job properly.

If your house is carpeted make sure they dont have any strains when you occupy for the first. If there are make it explicit in the condition report or ask the agent to arrange someone to remove the strain.

In one of my friends accomodation the grill oven was never used and the previous occupant had kept it unworthy to be used. He was fined just for the reason he didnt mention at the time of occupancy.

Also make sure your access cards and keys and every small item is listed and documented when you rent the house. I hada friend who was fined (when he vacated the home) for a access card to the garage which was never provided to him and he was least concerned as he never used it.

Cheers,

10. nimmi_18

nimmi_18 New IL'ite

Re: New to Sydney-"No worries mate" Grocery and veggie shop locator guide

Hi My name is Nirmala - i live in sydney - the information regarding shop fast seems very interesting - i am going to try ordering once....thanks .....