1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

switching from formula to regular milk - how much?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Brinda1, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Hello all,

DS is going to be one soon, and i am thinking of switching him from formula to regular milk. Currently he has 4 feeds of 200 ml milk a day in addition to a breakfast, lunch and dinner. What is the amount of regular milk that he needs to drink? Is 4 feeds too much? Should I cut to 3 feeds?

A little confused so would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

2. reethu20

reethu20 New IL'ite

Hi Brinda,

DS switched from formula to regular milk when he is 11 month old. Initially I used to dilute the regular milk with water and feed him 3 times a day. Now DS is 18 month old and I give him twice a day.

3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

A gradual transition will be good! i started with 50:50 water to cows milk dilution with a bit of sugar lumps!...over 6 months the ratio was gradually increased to 20:80.Initially u might encounter frequent motions....consult the dr. if the frequency is more. 4 times a day for another year would be fine.

4. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Reethu and Megalife. Any opinions on fresh cows milk vs milk bottles vs tetrapacks? I am guessing they are all the same?

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

If you are in U.S then use organic milk..Use either Horizon organic or Stonyfield organic. Initially dilute whole milk. Whole milk is a lot thicker and can cause constipation. Atleast that's what DS ended up with!

To begin with: Mix formula and whole milk together.(80:20 ratio). Do this for about 2 weeks. Then slowly increase regular milk and reduce formula for another 2 weeks. Then switch to regular milk. I would go down to 3 feedings and increase his solid food intake. Incorporate more variety of solid foods including snacks.

Also don't add sugar unless you have to!!!

6. Brinda1

Brinda1 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Mridusudha, very useful tips.