1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sweets love me :)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by lalithasathish, Aug 22, 2011.

1. lalithasathish

lalithasathish Silver IL'ite

I am here with you to share about all my first experiences in making sweets..
    It all started with a kesari. This was the first sweet dish I prepared after marriage. I called up my mom multiple times to verify the proportion of sugar, rava and ghee to be added to make it look like an actual kesari.Yes ,even to taste it like an actual kesari :) I was told to stir it up continuously so that it does not form lumps. I tried it in the first attempt, it came out so good that my family was all praises for it. I thought they just said that to please me and tasted it. I liked my kesari very much…:thumbsup
    Then it was time for carrot halwa. There was a potluck organized for women’s day at my office. I was asked to prepare any dessert and I along with another girl chose to prepare carrot halwa as it goes along well with ice creams. Morning I woke up early,also woke my husband and asked my poor DH to grate carrots for me. I prepared the sugar syrup , added little ghee, grated carrots, little milk and stirred it continuously , then added more ghee at the end ,finally added kesari color and decorated with fried cashews and put in a hot box and hurried to office. Actually I forgot to keep some at home for my DH. I thought anyways I can get back the remaining thing ..but to my surprise everyone liked the carrot halwa and within minutes it was emptied. I had taken a very small proportion to taste it for myself..Every one at office was praising my halwa :) though I was feeling sad for my poor DH :-(..he had not even tasted it!!
    Then it was time for me to experiment with almonds. Badam Halwa :bowdown
    I was in Bangalore at my brother’s house. He had bought lots of Badam from US, so thought of trying out a sweet. My mom was also there , but I insisted that I prepare the dish. Immediately I searched the net, found one site for preparing badam halwa and was off preparing it in no time. It came sooo good. My Halwa was great but DH was missing again!!!
    Then yesterday for Gokulastami I tried Badam cake as my DH also bought badam from US. And its really awesome. This time you know who praised it the most?? I had given the Gokulastami sweets to our neighbour(only cake was prepared by me, rest all brought from outside :) ) .Maama (uncle) tasted it and said to my FIL “wow that sweet was nice amongst all others ..did you buy it in the same shop??. “..My FIL answered that it was prepared at home. Immediately he called me and asked me to prepare some for him too..:)..I said sure and gave more sweets today ..:)
    The above sweets are all sugar sweets..Now comes my experiences with jaggery sweets..:hiya
    I prepared appam first time in my life for varalakshmi vratham. I checked the proportions as usual with my mom before starting it..But this time the jaggery was not so sweet. I was not supposed to taste the sweet until naivadhyam was over. So ,prepared all thinking it will come good(this is what is called over confidence!!). Finally the end result was, it had very less sweet L..infact it was plain without sweet no salt :drowning…Similar thing happened with Sakkarai pongal when I had prepared it for the very first time. :bonk
    I love sweets a lot but now I think sweets love me..oh yes you are right and I am wrong again!
    Only Sugar loves me :thumbsup..

1 person likes this.

2. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Lali,

The way you explain on the sweets are really mouthwatering.... Must be very very yummy.... Share your receipes...

Shanti

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very nice Lalitha.
    Tell me where you live....

1 person likes this.
  4. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Lalitha...
    What a sweeeeet post!
    I loved the way you narrated your culinary experiences...
    Soon,Start posting your recipies in IL ....
    I know jaggery will be slightly tricky but with a few more attempts you will master them too!

5. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

your sweet recipes are so nice lalitha .....would love to taste them ....

In facti have also made the similar experiments ....but did not succeed much in jaggery sweets as you said ...but sugar ones can be managed ....

I tried making Kayi anna ...but it became too sweet ..and i had to add so much of milk to it and boil again .....n the dish became something else ...:hide:

So am yet to master the skill of altering the dish which has not come out that well...

2 people like this.
  6. omsrisai

omsrisai IL Hall of Fame

Oh so nice post Lalitha...it was really sweet and all the items you have mentioned made me mouthwatering...

Your DH should be really lucky to get you as his life partner and so he can have sweets all the time ....

7. vidchakra

vidchakra Platinum IL'ite

oh Lalli,
    you seem to be not only a good writer but also a good cook!
    waiting to taste your sweets.. come to blore soon :)

I dont know whether "sweets love me", but i for sure love sweets!

1 person likes this.
  8. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Yummy post!! High time to visit u :)

9. lalithasathish

Shanthi dear,
    Will definitely share the recipes once i am convinced that sweets ofcourse love me after few more experiments..i dont want to take any chance and think that its a fluke always :)..thx for coming here...

10. lalithasathish

ha ha..:)..thx for coming here akka and reading my thread. If you really wish to take a chance i will tell you my location..ball is in your court now :)