1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet smile

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Apr 29, 2014.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Yesterday we attended Upanayanam Function.We were given tambulam , a blouse piece and a murukku and laddu.The murukku with its fragrant coconut oil smell prompted me to taste. Notwithstanding my artificial denture, I tried my level best and ended with unsuccessful attempt. Only the sweet smell remained.
    This prompted me to share my experience in getting a 'Sweet smile'.

William Shakespeare refers to old age as seventh age “Sans teeth,sans taste, sans every thing”.

The above saying didn’t bother me until I was 60 until I got involved in a road accident and lost most of my teeth.I,who used to be very proud of my beautiful rows of teeth , turned into an awkward creature with sunken cheeks, unsupported lips,collapsed jawline which made the chin and nose appear very close.

I used to like babies with adorable expression with a toothless smile with a tiny hand reaching out to me. I had even commented that the toothless smile of Mahatma Gandhi was much more better than any of the much hyped branded star smiles and it seemed to have our gloom lifted. But now the same Gandhi looked impractical to me.

I was very much concerned over facial ageing and shrinking of jaw bones and I decided to go in for artificial dentures.The young dentist encouraged me saying”Auntie, you will look fifteen years younger and some young man may even fall for you.”

While the upper denture faithfully got fixed up in position , the lower denture gave much trouble .However I was amazed to see my face with beautiful starry smile.But the problem started soon on opening my mouth for a cup of water or food.The lower denture fell off like an active baby jumping out of the cradle.

Just as learning to swim, ski,or ride a bicycle ,learning to use dentures is a traumatic experience.The eldest sibling in the family, namely the pinky tongue, was already a proud fellow having settled in a permanent home. He was not inclined to allow two more siblings( the two dentures) to intrude in his freedom.The dentist advised me to practise reciting slokas with complicated Sanskrit verses like Lalitha Sahasra namam , Soundarya lahari, Shivanada Lahari with complicated mixed Aksharas and pronunciations daily for half an hour or one hour.

I could not understand the connection between the slokas and my denture. Within a week I understood the significance that it is a therapy to control the big brother, namely the tongue.

Surprisingly enough ,whether God was pleased with my slokas or persuaded the tongue, I don’t know,within a month the tongue willingly recognized and accommodated the two dentures . Tongue is after all a structure made of muscles. Once it got used to the tricky pronunciation involving the tongue and denture, it realised that the dentures are not aliens and they would permanently occupy his abode,the mouth , as permanent residents.

I wonder why human beings with solid brain and mind don't understand this logic of adaptability which a muscular structure is capable of.

The naughty lower denture continued to cause troubles. He will find opportune moment to toss me up. Especially during marriage dinners when I am sitting in the middle of a compact row ,my little Lilliputian keeping an invisible bit of mustard or nut in the shallow groove, will not allow me to take even a morsel of food,unless I take out the denture, clean it up, and replace it causing a lot of embarrassment to me.
    Many will remark" Artificial pal thaanaa?Ennadaa iththani vayasukku ivvalavu azhagaa irukkenu paarththen"( Is it artificial? I already suspected how teeth can be such beautiful at this age?)

As a healthy habit when I try to take water holding the tumbler at a distance, the little darling will be waiting for the opportunity to jump out and fall into the tumbler making a metallic or acrylic sound .He is just like a hyper active five month old baby who is constantly in motion, easily susceptible to the slightest trigger.

His affection towards me is indescribable .Whenever I cough or sneeze, laugh or weep he will immediately come to my rescue falling on my lap cajoling me and will agree to occupy his place only after I resume normalcy.

Both the children are hydromaniacs. They want to play in the swimming pool at least for eight hours during night. Even during our vacation trip their specially designed swimming pool ( A fancy plastic cup with water)is the first luggage I pack. Not withstanding the troubles and nuisance they create I love the little darlings for that sweet smile that they have blessed me with and for the respect I earn in the society.

I am not a Mahatma to be content with a‘toothless smile’.I am a normal human being trying to attract others with my sparkling (artificial) smile.I am prepared to bid permanent goodbye to fibrous food, hard chappathis and rice rolls( murukku),but not to my dear pinky white darlings.

I overheard them whispering to each other while playing in the swimming pool”look brother,these human beings are sadists.They simply enjoy while we are tortured in the pinky prison.Our imprisonment has blessed them with an elegant envious smile.While we suffer in their salivary ditch,they indulge in rejoicing.”

I have learnt to ignore and walk off to receive my guests with a sweet smile .

Jayasala 42

2. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

I loved it madam.

3. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Beautiful write up Aunty :) Just loved reading every bit of it :)

4. Anjelin

Anjelin Gold IL'ite

very beautifully written with a good message ...

5. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Very nice Post.... Say CHEESE...

6. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

So that lovely sweet smile gifted by your " darling babies " has sent your imagination soaring to poetic heights ! Long live your metalic/ acrylic Muses , even if they will not help you savour murukku .
    :cool2:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs. Jayasala:

I truly enjoyed your natural description of day to day event with brilliant sense of humor. If the big brother "Mind" could be influenced with repeated attempts, what can two soldiers do especially when they are imprisoned? They get to swim every evening and bite most delicious food for the services they provide to make you smile confidently. What more they need? They need to remain in tact in the slot while on duty. They need to learn contentment.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. jayasala42

Thank you Girvani
    Jayasala 42

9. jayasala42

Dear Sinant,
    Thanks a lot.
    Jayasala 42

10. jayasala42