1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Nothings - No Warning Bells This Time!

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Dec 29, 2006.

1. sriranjani

sriranjani New IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana and Varalotti!

Dear Vandhana and Varalotti,

Thanks for the promt response, or should I say, rejoinder. Well I just wanted to be sure that Varalotti's post is not misunderstood for something else.

With your strong clarification, Vandhana, I am sure the ILites would have taken the post in proper spirit and make their lives sweet somethings with sweet nothings.

Thanks once again,
    sriranjani

2. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Sweet nothings

Dear Mr.Varalotti

It was a nice write up on ‘sweet nothings’. Most of the time we use this sweet nothings without our knowledge. Some people are very good at it. I always admired some of my friends who are very good in this way of talking. For them it is an art by itself. By this sweet nothings these people always makes one feel great at the same time makes them feel at ease to open up. Even a smile makes a lot of difference while conversing.

Wish you a very Happy New Year.

regards
    vidhi

3. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Sweet Nothing - Makes a Difference !

Varalotti,

This is a good post...talking about that extra yard that one takes to make the other person more comfortable and feel good instead of being so point blank and professional in our conversation...

Your sweet nothing talks reminds me of the MunnaBhai movie where his sweet talks and actions makes a big difference to all the patients in the hospital.

Everything is becoming so mechanical and monotonous in life..even relationships are taking a very serious turns and the liveliness and sweetness in everyone is dying due to various pressures coming from within and outside family. The word "Cordial" is being forgotten often by many of us, when dealing with human relationships..! A sweet talk, not necessarily to flatter, but with the intention of making other's feel good and better, has more power and results...point totally agreed...

But on the contrary, a person who intends to talk a bit of "sweet nothing", could be very well misinterpreted as a gossip-monger..Sure, it wouldn't be easy for anyone to accept a stranger's talk/known people unneccessary talk about wind, weather, or anything totally irrelevant as sweet nothing, it would be more like the guy seeking opportunity for unnecessary talk which we would very much try to avoid, at the very outset....Sweet Nothing can turn out to be effective or disastrous depending on various situations and circumstances...!

Love,
    Preethi

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

It is not difficult to learn, vidhi!

Dear Vidhi,
    Sweet nothings is not a difficult art. Once you have love for human beings and are genuinely interested in people, sweet nothings come just like that. But one has to first consciously practise it. And very very important one has to be genuine. I heard my friend complaining today about his colleague. He is working in Bombay as a Bank Manager. When he enquired about somebody's well being, the person snapped, "Why do you trouble me early in the morning?"
    My friend was baffled and asked me what is wrong with his genuine talk.
    I told him that people listen more to the intonation and the body language than what you actually utter. I tell you that there is a mild sarcasm in your words which is likely to hurt people. And hurt by that, your colleague snapped.
    My friend was speechless. But that was the truth and I wanted him to know.

The same thing applies to smile also. If our eyes do not participate in the smile then it becomes a grimace. And the smile will be more hurting than an authentic frown. The best tip here is not to smile when you do not feel like it

Thanks for your kind new year wishes, Vidhi. Wish you the same.
    regards,
    Varalotti

5. varalotti

You came in when I started missing you, Preethi!

Preethi,
    I was looking for you, left right and centre. I did not want to go to the next thread before replying your post. But could not see you. May be you were busy with the new year celebrations. Wish you a happy new year once again.

Thanks for supplementing my leader post with yours.

But I would like to make one thing clear. Sweet nothings and gossip are poles apart, Preethi. Gossip is what happens behind our backs. If somebody tells me on my face that I am a fool, then that is not gossip but a criticism. But the same person talks behind me that I am of an average intelligence, that is gossip.

In sweet nothings we only talk of the sweet things we tell others in person directly. May be some gossip-mongers use the technique of sweet nothings to pry information from others. But that will never equate one with the other.

Thanks for your participation, Preethi.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Have Posted the Mental Ageing Thread!

Dear ILites,
    Just now posted the mental ageing thread in response to the popular demand. Now having touched upon many delicate issues frankly, am keeping my fingers crossed. Please visit the thread early and post your comments so that I will be peaceful.
    regards,
    Varalotti

7. varalotti

A Thread For You To Relax, And Stay Mentally Young!

Most Gracious ILites,
    This Sat's thread is some thing for relaxation and celebrate pongal with joy and happiness.
    Shed all the heaviness that came into you with my mental ageing thread.
    Lighten up, Brighten Up and Fresh'n up.

இனிய பொங்கல் நல் வாழ்த்துக்கள்
    என்றும் அன்புடன்
    வரலொட்டி