Svadharma, our own unique calling in life - Bhagavad Gita Verses 2.30&2.31

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Nice post Chithra!
    Just wondering how one can define the 'limits' of one's own dharma...for example, where do I draw the line - my dharma as a daughter, as a sister, as a wife, as a friend, as a colleague etc etc. Would it be fair if I said that my dharma as a colleague is higher in importance compared to my dharma as a wife or a daughter ? How does one know what is THE priority? Lord Krishna seems to be hinting as Arjuna's caste to say that since he was a Kshatriya his duty is to fight !! But what abt Arjuna's dharma as a cousin or a student !!!

I am not arguing here...but just putting fwd a view point :)

Love
    Pavithra

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: Svadharma, our own unique calling in life

Dear Shan,
    Welcome back to this forum, after "a break" !
    Grieving mode cannot continue forever. Even after the deepest bereavement, acceptance gradually "creeps" in.
    The stress here is on Arjuna's svadharma, "to fight as kshathriya".
    No, Shan, Krishna does not elaborate on svadharma of others.
    This verse begins the argument on the level of duty. This is to deepen the understanding of life, after the absolute and relative aspects of existence have been made clear.
    Thanks for joining here.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    Thanks for your valuable input on svadharma.You have brought out the meaning very well.
    Butcher cannot be called a murderer because he is a butcher by his kula dharma.

I wish to make a mention of an interesting incident. Vish's elder brother was a leading opthomologist in Govt service.His sevices extended to the prison as well. So, whenever a person was to be hanged, he had to be present there one hour before the hanging, make sure it was carried out properly and certify by testing his eyes that death had occurred ! My MIL used to feel so diturbed about this & went on requesting him, not to do this. He used to reply that it was part of his duty as a Govt opthomologist and could not refuse.
    You have very clearly explained
    So dharma, means duty, religion and even nature.Svadharma hence could be translated as one’s prescribed duties.
    Mother Mira's words are most apt & sum up this verse beautifully.
    Thankyou, Sri, for making this thread very enjoyable.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    What Krishna talks about here is broadly based on Varnasrama dharma.
    I am sure, each one of us is aware of what our duty is - as a daughter, spouse, mother, sister etc.There cannot be any ambiguity about that.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Dear Sudha,
    Your FB is very encouraging !
    Dharma maintains the stream of evolution in life. One cannot waver from it, for one's own benefit and as part of his duty.
    Please stay tuned Sudha - I need you all with me on this journey.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,

Thanks for guiding us further on in Gita. Though late to reply, I look forward to these with utmost interest.

I understand that you do not want to delve into dharmas and caste. It is indeed a controversial theme:)

Like others here have asked, I too wonder as to what can be the greater dharma for a woman! I look up to my Creator for guidance and hope that better sense prevails everytime I make a decision.

L, Kamla

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya sir,

Enjoyed your input here very much. With you and Chithra trying to explain the Gita to novices like me, we are surely blessed!

There must certainly be something I can do better than anyone else, since each one of us is a special mode of manifestation of the divine power
    The above quote from Mirabai is really encouraging for me, giving me some hope that all is not lost, there is a purpose for my being too!

L, Kamla

8. Chitvish

Dear Pavithra,
    You are asking a tricky question - I will answer within my limitations.
    One's family comes first. Next only comes our duty to a friend etc.
    In this particular context, what Krishna talks about is kula dharma. He wants to bring home to Arjuna that to him, born a kshathriya, fighting is natural; it is his normal duty in life. Sympathy to a cousin or fellow human being comes only next.A kshathriya is born to protect dharma at any cost and he has to "do battle in accord with dharma" and establish righteousness for the good of the world.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    Thanks for finding time to visit us in this thread !
    As a woman, your dharma is to your own family.
    Any decision, taken with a prayerful attitude, will lead you right !
    I perfectly understand your dutiful priority to your family first. IL comes only next, no problem, Kamla !
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  10. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mrs. C,

wow!! what a lovely post and the replies to each made me more aware of what is my
    most priority and your explanations are more crystal clear.Bow