1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suspected Uti, Dr Had Emergency And Is On Vacation, Colonoscopy In 2 Weeks

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Dec 26, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

We are in USA

I dunno if I should be stressing about following.

last Wed (5 days ago) Dad went for blood and urine test. Esp since urine is yellow (his is usually clear) and there is slight slight discomfort when urinating.

last Fri (3 days ago) we were waiting for DR to arrive so we can get urine test results

DR had emergency and office is closed.

Next available appt is two weeks from now, one day before Dads scheduled colonoscopy, i.e. has to drink cytolyte solution every 15 minutes, and be near bathroom.

Meantime Dad just said the urine situation is neither getting better, nor worse.

Then I clarified that day before colonoscopy he should stay home, near restroom, rather than see DR.

Dad says ok, then he will see DR few days after colonoscopy

Several things running through my mind
    - maybe it's possible suspected infection can be kept at bay. Many times poking and prodding makes problems worse
    - can Dad take at-home UTI detection test and DR performing colonoscopy can prescribe antibiotics
    - with suspected UTI should Dad go ahead with colonoscopy (he really needs this as soon as possible, it's not some routine rest for him)
    - I am reading online that people say colonoscopy creates UTI problem ... really scared

My Dad is averse to traveling long distance to DR and urgent care centers (closest one is hour away)

I plan on calling Colonoscopy office for questions about prep and will try to get hold of one of the medical students (who was impressed with my medical patient history drawings) to bring this up.

Is there anything I can do.

I wish to be proactive and at the same time I understand too much poking and prodding can worsen a situation.

Plz guide.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

I just know that UTI strips can be used to detect an infection.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You can get UTI test strips to check at home. Urgent care will also be able to do urinalysis and prescribe medication if needed. You should not wait for 2 weeks if your dad is in discomfort. A colonoscopy should not cause a UTI, but if your dad indeed has the infection it will be better to get it treated before he has the procedure. The colonoscopy bowel prep is a very standard procedure and you can easily find the details online. Drinking cranberry juice can help for UTI.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for all these helpful replies.

Trying to get my Dad to do this right now. Yesterday I had a health scare myself and Dad spent an hour trying to set me straight (need to take care of myself before anything!)

Thank you so much for hearing me out and all your guidance. This is really supportive for helping my Dad.