1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

survival of the fittest?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by strangerrr, Nov 9, 2011.

1. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

After four attempts of scanning those sheets, he gave up. He said to me with a disappointment “no chance sir”.

My mobile rung, I disconnected it without taking out from my pocket.

Well, the word ‘sir’ usually doesn’t come easily from an Indian railway TTE’s mouth, that too for one who is traveling with a waiting list ticket. I was almost in a middle of a 26 hours long journey from an east coastal town to west of my country.

Its 26 hours, that too only if the train reach the destination as scheduled.

In last two years I learned somewhat to travel, especially by trains. That’s why I m carrying a general ticket along with a waiting list ticket. The 26 hours long journey is actually 2 nights and one day.

One night and half a day has passed on another train (where I managed to use the general ticket to secure an A\C berth and had a comfortable sleep. Now back again in the train in which I should have actually travelled.

I never get satisfied by any TTE’s negative response. I almost snatched the reservation chart from his hands and went through it.

««HA»»… a bulb glow in my elephant sized eyes (this is my sister’s usual comment on my eyes).

My mobile rung again, this time I took it out and ignored the call; it’s from my friend who I called earlier but he didn’t pick the call then.

Couple of rechecks and after cross referring the train schedule, I told the TTE that B2-36 will be vacant from particular station at 18.45 hours. If I could manage to bag that, an 8 hour of travel and the second night will be comfortable.

He assured that he will freeze that berth for me. The intensity of his smile displayed the price-tag for that freezing process.

Its 12.30 hours then, and almost another 6 hours of less comfort travel mostly at the foot-board. The book I was reading didn’t excited me then. My eyes end up fixed in those parallel metal lines which ran along with the train I was traveling.

To kill time, I started with thinking how things will move on: In next 5 hours, I will be getting my berth for a much better journey (thanks to the general ticket again)

Then another 5 hours, I will be meeting one of my elite listed friend, where the train stops for considerable time, Not sure, if he will be happy or angry as I was wearing the T’s which I forced him to gift me when we met last time.

Oopz!!! I forgot the call, I called him back. After few lines of song ‘kanadasan karaikudi perai solli uthi kudi’ he received the call. And after a typical sound indicated that the call got connected,

I heard him shouting $%#&/$ %$#/&%#, appraises for me in my mother tongue, for not answering his call on earlier occasions. I let those words to dilute in the train noise.

“What time the train arrives here maapee?” He queried.

“May be around 11.30 pm, but the train halts for only for 20 min.” I also added, “For heaven sake please don’t come and disturb me. Okay”

“That will be last thing I will be doing in my life; do you think I am gonna compromise on my sleep to meet you at railway station?” his response.

The statements are clearly interpreted by both of us, we wish to meet each other and he will be there without fail.

He asked, “You didn’t tell about this visit earlier, when we spoke last weekend?”

“I overlooked one of the mail da, sent almost a month before. I just realized about this MRM at corporate office two days before; that too after a reminder mail. I left out with no time to get a confirmed ticket” I replied.

“What’s that MRM?” he sought for clarification.

“Its management review meeting, where I have to present the performance and concerns regarding my region to the top management” I briefed him.

“Top management??? hmmmm….!” His tone sounded skeptical, he went on, “dae, you are one who always stamped as unfit to the industry by almost all our lecturers; never regular to classes, especially to practicals; only reason our HOD allowed you to appear in the final semes..”

Thankfully the call got disconnect before he could remind me more of those history. I just dropped him a text,
    ntwrk inconstnt as m in train. trn no: 1020. c u at rly stn J

Though he was not indented to doubt my success at current role; the variance in my output as student and as professional brought surprise to many of my friends (even me to some extent).

Given an option, I will (as most of you) pick to remain as reckless student than a responsible employee.

The thought process continued from where it left: Yet another three hours after meeting him, I will be at my destination, the commercial capital of my country;

It may be drizzling while I walk towards the first local train of the day - The first of the three language of the PA system announcement will be in which I heard maximum abuses for not knowing my own national language – I may stand perplexed, if I still have the skill to board on the local train without damaging my baggage or should I take a taxi - Reaching the flat in which lived for more than two years - My friends there may not have mutual time to spend with me, still sneak in some time for few old and tired jokes.

Few things may not unveil as I was foreseeing as above, but most of them will.

I was very happy as I am traveling to the busy city I always want to be in. Where,

· I have to start at least 2 hours before if I have to reach the office in time.
    · My flesh and skeleton exactly fit the breath of the room if I lay down to sleep.
    · Choice of food around the clock, it’s my call to pick which one I wish to have.
    · Some other humans to wish good morning (or evening) once I wake up.

I was not so happy as I have to travel back to the small town, where I never wish to be in. Where,

o Hardly 200 meters separates the office and the home.
    o An over sized house for one, who hardly stayed half a month in it.
    o Should only depend on my luck to get food if it passes 10 pm.
    o Have only my 3 feet mirror to wish me back “good morning”.

Apart from the factors likes-dislikes; comfort-less comfort; plenty of time-lack of it; One thing I wonder most comparing these…

...on how could I shift between these two with ease. I don’t know how to speak (the language); I never used to the culture, environment or people earlier; my knowledge was par below minimal requirement to survive there; my competency is always questioned and out of equation and other list of things which makes me unfit to survive.

What’s the factor which makes an unfit to survive? - I felt that the length of less-comfort-journey is shortened by this question until around 18.45 hrs. The TTE bid adieu handing over the reservation chart to his reliever after completing the (in)formalities with me for the berth.

As I was securing my luggage under the seat… “Can you adjust and get changed to that berth?” a middle aged lady, who is already in that berth voiced.

One word from her question stroke my memory and a famous quote flashed, which I read sometime, somewhere…

~July 2010

2. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was quite an interesting reflection and a fine adjustment on your part Strangerrr. Glad to read this. Good one. Thanks. -rgs

4. AkhilaaSaras

AkhilaaSaras Gold IL'ite

Good adjustment..... A man is not rightly conditioned until he is a happy, healthy, and prosperous being; and happiness, health, and prosperity are the result of a harmonious adjustment of the inner with the outer of the man with his surroundings.
    Good strangerr..... not stranger so :bonk.....

5. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Strangerrr. Survivor does seem like your middle name :yes:
    1/2 dozen+ roommates; travelling around the clock; managing informalities with authorities ;-); listening to your friend's "Sentamizh"; adjusting yourself to the middle aged lady's berth...wow the list does seem never ending!

It's a joy to read to your blog, Stranger! You seem to write rather candidly and straight from your heart. Keep writing :thumbsup

6. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the quick comment raji :)

7. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Thanks RGS for ur feedback :)

8. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Akhila, thanks for summarising the blog!

well said :)

9. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

not exactly!!

Necessity boss necessity!!!

Thanks for this comment and many thanks as i guess you commented almost in all four blog of mine :)

10. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Nice expression of your adjustments Stranger. Enjoyed reading it.

Regards,
    Latha.