1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Surname mess in Indian passport!!

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by pinknblue, Jun 26, 2010.

1. pinknblue

pinknblue New IL'ite

I want to have my parents over in US to visit me, but just realised that the surnames in my parents and my passport are all messed up!

Our surname is such that it can be spelt in two ways. Lets say it can be spelled as XYZ and also as XY.

So my fathers passport has: XYZ
    also, under spouse name his passport has my mothers surname also as: XYZ

BUt my mothers own passport has her surname as: XY

My passport has my fathers surname as: XY
    And has my mothers surname spelt totally incorrect.

I am lost how to correct it all, also given that I am sitting in US.

Please suggest how to go about correcting it all.

Thanks a ton!!

2. yavanika

yavanika New IL'ite

Hi,
    As far as I know you can Notarize both the names in India like say xyz and xy are the same person I think you need to meet a lawyer regarding this and he will guide you. Just find it out from him it should not be a big process.
    Regards,
    Yavanika.

3. pinknblue

pinknblue New IL'ite

Thanks Yavanika!

Will you know if such a notarized note will work as a sufficient proof while applying for a US visitors visa? I am worried about my parents visa being denied due to the surname issue.

Thanks a lot!

4. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Yavanika is correct.
    You need to have your parents go to a local NOTARY(personally, we dont need a lawyer, but if you are not sure, better hire a lawyer).
    The process is giving a self affidavit with a local notary.

All your parents needs to do is
    1) Type in the affidavit on a paper saying "our family names were spelled incorrectly on our passports, we would like to spell them correctly as follows ...
    also say that " from here onwards, any discrepancy in the family names would be read correctly as declared above"
    (something like the above).
    Get your parents sign with a local notary and get it Notarized.
    Also it would be a great idea if your parents can carry some additional paperwork (like old passport, voter ID card/ any government document like a property registration document, marriage certificate etc..) as a secondary evidence in case of issues
    In any event, its not something to worry, there is a way to address this issue..
    Good luck

5. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I had a similar problem on my passport but not with the surname but with the gender, instead of Female they put it as Male, I had to go around the passport office in India and got it corrected..They did not gimme a new passport but wrote a statement in the passport on one of the pages that the gender should be read as Female... I wonder how they make these blunders :)