1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Surmounting lies

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Sep 29, 2011.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

"Attack on the Health Services. Medical Scam Hits Common Man"

- Screamed the Television News Channels and Newspapers everywhere.

Just when the country was recovering from Terrorist Attacks in Mumbai and Delhi, attacks came this Medical Scam. Thousands of patients in Government aided Hospital died while several thousands were suffering from complications that arose from pirated drugs pushed to India by the International syndicate which was running a parallel business in the medical field.

In the midst of all this, Vikram, the main accused was calmly sitting in the Police custody awaiting his fate. The Police were to produce him before the magistrate seeking Police Custody for further interrogation. The Police were worried as Vikram had considerable influence in the Government circles and had lots of money-power and muscle-power. Vikram was disturbed due to the pressure created by the NGOs and the media. The Bar Association had pledged that no lawyer should represent Vikram in this case. The house of the Government Advocate who agreed to appear for Vikram was ransacked by local Goons who claimed to be part of some Sena. The victims pleaded for CBI investigation into this case but the Government refused to go by the sentiments of the general public.

Vikram was the son of a notorious Political leader. He was the spoilt child in his house. His father had falsely produced a backward caste certificate in his name and would always get elected from his reserved constituency. His son Vikram followed his footsteps and indulged in fraud all the way from his school days. Inspite of his average marks, Vikram got selected for the Medical studies. He had numerous flings with innocent girls by lying to them about his self professed love for them. He loved life like a King. His father set up a Medical Empire for Vikram, and he influenced several Government aided Hospitals. Many meritorious doctors quit in pressure, while few of them toed his line for fear of backlash. Then the inevitable happened. Adulteration in the illegal medicines supplied resulted into several deaths and complications and unearthed into a Major Scam.

Rohan was sitting quietly sipping coffee in his office. He had a wry smile in his face as he went through the News Channels and Newspapers blaring the above News about Vikram.

"I am taking up Vikram's case, he is innocent.

All these Media and NGOs give bull**** information for creating Sansani (sensation) and earning business. Its all rubbish. I have just spoken to Vikram. Vikram will come out on bail soon."

Rohan quietly announced.

His colleagues shut their mouths in awe. They never expected this from Rohan. They accused Rohan of getting sold off to a bigwig.

Rohan was one of the respected and honest lawyers and always helped the poor undertrials. He lost his wife, a noted fearless journalist 2 years ago as she fell prey to a violent mob thus leaving him and his young daughter alone.

Rohan was confident regarding this case. He was always sure of what he was doing.

Despite stiff opposition, Rohan entered the court. Arguments followed. The Public Prosecutor launched a diatribe against Vikram and his father, often launching a personal attack on them.

Rohan sat quietly in defence of Vikram. Just when the people around came to the conclusion that Rohan had made a mistake and was fighting a case for a liar, Rohan got up.

"Your Honor! Vikram is innocent. All these stories told by the Prosecution are figment of imagination and hold no credible evidence. Vikram's father is a political figure and has consecutively got elected with higher margins from his constituency. Vikram is doing his profession on his merit. There is no chance that a respected public figure like Vikram will flee and abscond from this country. Vikram is not a liar, he is not a fraud. Vikram is a victim of fraud, deceit and lies."

Rohan counterattacked with conviction and zeal. The Prosecution could not reply to his arguments. He shred the case into nothing and highlighted all the loopholes in the investigation of the case.

Vikram came out on bail.

"Hey Rohan, you are brilliant. I knew you are the only one who could help me from this crisis."

Vikram gave a suitcase full of money to Rohan.

Rohan said "I am happy for you."

Vikram shook Rohan's hands gratefully.

Rohan : I am happy you are truthful, atleast in this regard."

He showed the suitcase full of money.

Vikram laughed in Pride.

Rohan smiled back at Vikram.

"Do you know why I helped you?"

Vikram replied "For Money, of course."

Rohan said "Yes, but more than Money, for my love."

He showed his young daughter's photo.

"Sneha, my daughter! She lost her mother two years ago. She was admitted to a Government hospital for H1N1 virus and developed complications due to your illegal racket. She is one among the patients affected due to you. I could have sued you for millions, but will get nothing, as you would use influence and come out unscathed. I needed money desperately for my daughter's treatment in US. You lied and killed many. You made me a liar too for saving my daughter's life."

Vikram could not look at Rohan's eyes any more.

Rohan quietly took away the suitcase and left Vikram's bungalow.

The Ruling Government soon tabled its report on some temple attack years ago in the Parliament. The Media shifted its focus and the Medical Scam was buried underground.

Months Later….

Rohan's daughter recovered from the treatment.

Years Later…….

Rohan's joy knew no bounds as his daughter got selected on merit for the MBBS course.