1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Surgery Or Medical Checkups For Visitor Visa Parents

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by KashmirFlower, Jan 10, 2017.

1. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    My dad needs a heart valve surgery, he went for different tests in India and doctors said he needs a surgery. He is 73 years old but overall health is Okay, and mentally a strong person.

I was thinking is there any possibility that my mom and dad can travel to US on visitor visa and if I can buy a health insurance for them, and surgery and all health checkups done here for both parents.
    Has anybody have any experience with this. At least health checkups for parents. Any idea how much it could cost if anybody inquired these things or have done that to their parents.

It is not that India doesn't have all this but may be it would be more here, and if I can do that to my dad I want to do that. Please give me any kind of input related to visitor visa related health insurance and your experiences. Thank you.

Also in India, we can take reports and talk to doctors with out taking patient, is it possible in US? I don't think so. Anybody tried that?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

2. crainandrea22

crainandrea22 New IL'ite

Yes, visitors visa for medical treatment is available. Apply for temporary stay B2 visa for your parents. It is a subject to approval activity, you'll need to submit the application form, pay the fee, and appear for visa interview round. You can use Path2usa for more guidance and help, I usually refer them when confused.

For insurance, you'll not find any company providing health insurance coverage for a routine check-up. As your mother doesn't have any specific disease, you can get general travel insurance for her with two choices - Limited coverage plan fixed up to some amount and comprehensive coverage plan covering 80-100% of total medical expenses.

And, for your father, as his surgery is pre-planned, you can buy travel insurance with Pre-certification. It helps to control medical costs and determine if it is covered by insurance policy. To obtain pre-certification you can contact travel insurance company and tell them about your treatment plan. Once you get the approval, be sure to notify the physician/hospital you are planning to receive the treatment. I can't tell you the cost for the treatment, it depends on the hospital.

For both cases, you can compare insurance plans from VisitorsInsuranceReviews. They let you compare plans from different insurance providers. Select the plan that best suits you. I find them helpful and beneficial. Hope the same follows.

I'm not sure if you can take reports with you, please ask someone from the hospital you're going for treatment.

Good luck!

KashmirFlower likes this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I would double check the claims of visitor visa insurance claims! A friend's mom was admitted to a hospital for stroke and the insurance company paid zilch. Same thing happened with another acquaintance. BE prepared to pay out of your pocket. On the other hand, check out the options in India, the quality of doctors and the hospital. Make a decision on the basis on quality care, not on the basis of, its america, so everything is the best here. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your dad.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  4. savvysar

savvysar New IL'ite

It is very important to note that visitors insurance is for any new medical conditions that may arise after purchasing a policy and unfortunately, most policies exclude pre-existing conditions and anything related to what would be considered medical tourism. Having said that, the cost of healthcare in the U.S. is extremely expensive, so if your parents are coming over to visit, it is better to have at least some coverage, rather than none should something unexpected occur. VisitorsCoverage is a great company for finding a travel medical insurance policy that best fits your parents’ needs. For more information on travel medical insurance for parents traveling to the U.S., this article is very helpful:

Top 5 Tips for Parents Visiting the U.S. | Indusladies.com