1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Surgery In Diabetes And Old Age

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by sanjuruby3, Aug 3, 2022.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

My father is 70+ and had an accident. He broke bone near wrist few days ago. He has all old age ailments include highly diabetic.
    Now, doctors suggesting either surgery or plaster. However plaster will stay for months and hand /wrist may not be fully functional. But Surgery is quick however it is risk with anastheisia. Also in India, place he is in, small town, i have seen doctors there are very rude and inconsiderate to age ..only respond to money, status or language.

Other problem is - this is his right hand. He is already handicap by left hand, means not fully functional. With plaster, this will also go..
    We asked two doctors, they suggested surgery however father is scared and have heard stories of fatalities or infections.

Please suggest.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

ON a side note, From my birth i have seen so many accidents and deaths in india in my family, we are not even in metro or big city, just small town.... so many vehicles and people inconsiderate or construction grout, all because of negligence hit and run .. For my father only, i have seen so many accidents atleast 10, and in most cases, hitter ran away or father was drunk.

I have seen bus drivers/bus conductors rude to old people or people who are slow, people with kids

I really want to start a campaign or something for people to awaken and make small change at least at all levels.
    do not drive when drunk, do not run then hit, do not leave contrucction stuff in the middle of road for weeks, my father spent weeks in emergency for that, be considerate of old people.
    Why and how people and generations become insensitive to other human and then super religious at the same time, move to foreign countries become CEO of companies.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Surgery for a highly diabetic patient is not recommended. Reason is cuts n wounds during surgery won't heal quickly for a diabetic person.
    My dad had to undergo a urgent lasic cataract eye surgery . He was delayed indefinitely because his sugar levels had to be brought down. I suggest ask your dad to work on bringing his sugar levels down then go for surgery.
    Surgery with high sugar levels can be fatal

Thyagarajan and drdiva like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If possible ask your father to go to a proper hospital in a bigger city. It will be best if you can get a referral to such a place.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. drdiva

drdiva Silver IL'ite

Avoid Surgery..May b physiotherapy or some excercise will help..i have also heard similar stories after surgery in elderly and diabetic.
    Surgery has its own complications even in young and healthy.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: I am sad at my heart to note what you conveyed about wreckless driving by a few hit and run drunk drivers and your dad had turned a victim. Even celebrities drive over pedestrians here in India.

A month ago my daughter’s FIL (79+) staggered and fallen out of bed in his siesta Around 4pm. He is diabetic and also his right is paralysed since three decades yet he was managing deftly his personal chores! He had also a decade ago angio plasty and by pass surgery and that time too he was diabetic.

On that day, At 6 pm two men with medical kit arrived home from Apollo med hospital took on the spot readings of vital parameters took blood sample and within an hour moved in an ambulance to ICU.

FOURTH DAY early morning HIS BROKEN femur -left thighbone - re-aligned and screwed under anasthesia.

He regained consciousness by evening and four days under observation in executive ward. Back home on twelfth day and after two weeks physio and attendant in double shifts now despite one leg paralysed he was able to walk almost steady holding the walls. His thigh surgical wounds healed and today he was looking more cheerful as u can see in video below:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    1Sandhya likes this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@sanjuruby3,
    It’s odd that your father is having so many accidents. I too think you should take him to a bigger city with better facilities and get him treated as well as evaluated for any cognitive deficits. It could be something is going on medically that is contributing either to his loss of balance or not being able to avoid so many accidents. If true then you people will take correct measures like making sure someone is with him always etc.
    Mr Thyagarajan post seems to indicate that now procedures are more advanced and even diabetics are getting treated and recovering. That should give you some hope.

Thyagarajan likes this.