1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Support group for losing weight

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pooja, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

want to lose weight

Hey hey .. I am ready and willing to join a class to lose weight... But I have knee problem and cant do any exercise that will hurt the knee more .. but desperately need to lose atleast 7 kilos .... deadline is Jan 15,2007.. any takers ? :)

2. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Suggestions Bhooma..

Hi Bhooma,

Welcome to the IL Community !

Regarding loosing weight without much of physical exercise (due to ur knee problem), why not follow one of these ?

1. If possible, try this 7 days weight loss program , it works !
    2. On other days, cut down rice quantity (if you consume rice twice a day) and prefer 2 or 3 chappathi's during nite! Avoid oily and junk food.
    3. Have you thought of yoga ?

good luck to you for weight loss...! hope you acheive your goal within your deadline soon !

Love,
    Preethi

3. janaki

janaki New IL'ite

That evading target wt!!!!

Hi all,Iam really inspired by Preethis recommendation namely the General Motors diet paln.I am planning to try it.:clap May be after Diwali?Coz you are likely to be tempted and moreover it is not proper to have a break in between!:mrgreen:

4. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Weight lose group

Hi Preethi,

Thanks for the general motors diet plan. Me thinks of starting it after diwali :-D bcos me can't tolerate the temptation of sweets. I am 54 Kgs and for my height I am supposed to be not more than 50 Kgs. I don't have a problem with the extra kgs, but my tummy size has increased in the last few months, so all my old jeans which used to be a perfect fit are now very tight :cry:.

Will let you all know the feedback once I try it.

However, can anyone guide me on how to lose tummy fat?? I want more emphasise on tummy and arms than the rest of the body. Is there any exercise of yoga specific to this??

Thank you all once again for your wonderful and support to the needy.:clap Hats off to the Indus ladies team.

Cheers,
    Geetha Satish.

5. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Exercise

Dear Geeta,
    Lie on your back. Bring both hands to the back of neck and join them. Breathe deeply and Bend knees together and rise. Rise your head by supporting hands.
    Do this in the morning before bf, and do ten times daily. This might work.
    Best wishes.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Not to discourage all of you ....

Gals,

But the GM diet is a fad diet. Yes it is great that you loose 5kgs in one week etc... but sooner or later you are going to put those lost kgs back on. The diet basically makes you go into starvation mode. Never mind that you are eating fruits veggies etc... but the body still needs its carbs and protein. And once you go off the diet , the body ( which still thinks it is in starvation mode) will tend to hoard up all the extra cals as fat. so you are back at square one. Also if you read through the pdf file that Preethi has posted, there is a statement that Milk gives you empty calories, Which is totally false. Milk is a good source of protein and calcium and Riboflavin which are essential to the body.

Having studied this subject, my advise is to have a balanced diet and exercise a lot. that is the only way to loose weight and keep it off.

Just my two cents. This diet will make you really tired and give you headaches etc.....

Vandhana

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

me too

Hi all

I would also like to join in this discussion as i like to reduce my excess weight which i cudnt bcos of my lazziness, but i ought to reduce, so i feel joining with u all will motivate me to reduce my body weight.

and i agree with vandhana ant that 7 day diet program. my bro followed it for a week adn he lost weight say around 3 to 4 kgs but once he stopped this diet program he gained back his weight. so we need to do an alternative with veggies, friuts, chapatis avoiding rice, thats it and not starving...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  8. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

walking

A best exercise is Walking. this worked out for me. when i was in India, i lost around 13 kgs only by walking and strict dieting.
    my diet included chapati in lunch - 3 and i will have 1 chapati in morning and evenin gi will go for walk for an hour and then night i will have a light dinner, say a cup of rice with plenty of rasam or butter milk. so that large quantity of fluid fills my stomach or simply i will have light tiffen. thats it. i lost

but now i am in US i cudnt go for walk regularly bcos of climate but i am bored of aerobics so i cudnt exercise in any way, i gained a lot of weight...hmmm now i dont know wat to do :-(

9. preethi27

preethi27 Senior IL'ite

Hai Pooja

Even I want to reduce my weight. I am also interested to join this group.

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

GM diet

Yes,Vandhana,you are right. I have heard about this GM diet some 5 yrs back itself. It is not a safe method to loose weight.Weight lose should never be sudden,it is not good for overall good health.

Also,heard from my doctor that whether it is rice or chappathi,there is not much difference in calories.It all depends on the quantity.

I am also trying to loose weight.I have lost about 4 pounds in the last one month.I think that is a safe amount to loose in a month.I have just decreased the quantity of my food intake and have started including more vegetables as side dishes and also fruits.I drink about 2 glasses of milk as coffee and tea in a day.But I am not on any crash diet,if I feel like eating something,I still go ahead and eat it since I don't want to start craving for it.I think the most important thing is -I do aerobics for about 50 minutes everyday.That has really helped.