1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Supplements with BM

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Padminiramesh, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I would be joining back to work sometime April/May. My MIL is advising me to start supplements by 4th month (atleast once a day) but doctor said atleast 180 days of BM...I can understand that MIL can manage Hayagreev only with supplements...so by the time i join back he would be 5 months+. So i can BF him during morning, evening and nights...and can express and keep for one/two times in a day but he still needs supplements...
    So i thought i should introduce him to the bottles atleast now in his 3rd month with BM...so that he wld be fine with the bottles in my absense...
    I somehow feel that he wld go away from me when i bottle feed him...the bonding will be less....i hope you can understand..

Please help on this supplements (ofcourse with the Pedi's approval) and how to start with his bottle....

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Padmini, Go through 'bottle or not' thread. Ramya too is joining work when her LO would be 5+ months. She has been using cup&spoon and planning with sippys. Do contact her, she is not bottling her LO, i guess.

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Yes Pon. I am giving her expressed BM in sippy spouts atleast once a day. I plan to do it the whole of her fourth month so that she will be ready to take it from MIL when she is 5+ months.

Supplements - Actually my Pead suggested that I start Nestum when LO is four. But I am not planning to do it now. I will start it only after 5.5 months.

Padmini - Vidya has been working since her LO was 2.5 months and she is exclusively BFg LO. So, I think you can start supplements after 5 months (best is to do it after 6 months).

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Padmini, bottle nursing techniques are often recommended by attachment parenting sites for parents who want to engender that attachment... I note your concern, but frankly it is going to take more than introducing bottles to bring in that detachment if your parenting is oriented towards meeting the needs of the child. If your baby is 5+ months, it is safer to start solids. Go for homemade ones. In the end it does depend on whether she would want to eat or not.

5. Padminiramesh

Thanks Pon, Ramya and Tikka...
    I meant the supplements as Lactogen or any other liquid kind of food...MIL is keep on forcing me to ask the doc abt the liquid supplements...i told her clearly worst case that i can introduce liquid supplements is by April, so by the time he would be 5+ months...by doc is very clear on no no to supplements before 180 days...I am trying to convince MIL, but nothing seems to work out...she is ok i BF him till the day i go to work, but from then on...she agreed for one or two times of BM (expressed), but for the rest she is asking for supplements...getting left and right bwn Pedi and MIL...

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Here is how the WHO uses nutrition terminology. Formula like lactogen is a supplement. Solids are any kind of food you introduce to start the weaning from milk process be it liquid-y kanji, semi solid purees or even solid finger foods.
    Maybe I should start talking about weaning food, which would mean everything else except breastmilk and formula.
    It is absolutely ideal if you can breastfeed for 6 months or longer, but given that your careprovider at 5+ months is going to give you a hard time about your wanting to bf and you do need her help to look after your child, it is better to arrive at a compromise. Do you think your MIL will be interested in going to the doctor with you and have the doc explain why 180 days of exclusive bfing...
    Most children are ready for solids between 4 and 6 months, 6 months is recommended because that is the most absolute safest time before the child's gut is mature enough to handle anything other than milk. Ifyour child shows readiness to take weaning food by 5+ months, there is no harm in introducing them.
    I hope I have been clearer this time.

7. Padminiramesh

Thanks Tikka,
    I am sorry i confused you with my own terms...The supplement i previously meant is 'Formula'....So is it ok to introduce formula by 5 months with BM?

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

See if that is the only thing your mom in law will agree to and you NEED her to look after the child, do you have a choice? If she were to listen to a third opinion from doctors may be then you can do something about it, right? I know with an NICU baby, it is best to keep bfing for as long as possible. But when there is very little option, it is best to pick your battles. I am so sorry to sound so cynical.

9. Padminiramesh

ohh thats ok tikka...anyways thanks for your replies...:)

10. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Padmini - am i missing something here? you are going to direct feed your baby only in the mornings, evenings and nights. assuming you would pump then and there for morning to evening feed, i am not sure if the quantity you pump would be sufficient to meet the demands of the baby for say, 8 hours while you are at work. so i see a point in your MIL's argument. if you give her a better plan, say coming home for lunch or something like that, then it could be acceptable. or you should be able to pump in large quantities if otherwise, how can you manage?

Vidyaa goes home for lunch, and her work duration is lesser i guess.