1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Super dumb aliens and super smart earthlings!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Viji
    There was a time when I was just getting my initiation into English, I was always armed with a dictionary. Even simple words would confuse me. Then I had this problem of using the words in the right context and in the right way. I got hold of a couple of Readers' Digest publications like Family Word Finder that showed me the correct way to use English words with examples too. People seeing me always with a dictionary used to compare with me with the old telephone booths in which a telephone directory would be kept chained to the instrument! Words and phrases like 'plead guilty' and 'troubleshooter' always got me stumped. As far as English was concerned, I came of age only when I was around sixty. My 25 years with the Bank never gave me a chance to develop my language skills as we were writing letters mostly like 'With reference to the above, see my below' kind of communications!

The naalu peru (four people) that you talk of are really the greatest influence in our life. They are faceless and have no identity but they control us right through our life. The dramatist Vishu used to say that they are the four who finally help us in our last journey but at that point of time, we may not be able to see them and thank them for having been the greatest influence in our lives!
    sri

1 person likes this.