1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

*sundar’s Predicament* - (a Tiny Story)

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rrg, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

*Sundar’s predicament* - (a tiny story)

“Sundar, how many times am I to call you? Our child is having high fever. Let’s go to the doctor.”
    Sundar heard Sumathy shouting at the top of her voice.
    “Don’t get tensed up. Fever is common amongst kids. Give her two tea spoons of Calpol and let her sleep. She will be ok soon”
    After 15 minutes, he heard Sumathy shouting once again.
    “Look Sundar, the fever is not coming down even after giving her Calpol. Let’s go to the doctor without delay”.
    “Look Sumathy. Calpol is not an on/off switch. It will take at-least an hour for the fever to come down. Don’t panic unnecessarily. I am busy here and don’t keep disturbing me for small things.”
    After another 30 minutes he heard Sumathy shrieking.
    “The fever is rising and the child is developing fits and you are unconcerned? Don’t be callous. Start the car immediately”
    “OK,OK. Pick up the child and come. Let’s go”.
    Sundar rushed to the car saying,
    “Renu’s regular doctor may not be available till evening. Instead let us go to Dr.Nammalwar. I understand from my friend Ramesh that he is very good for treating such ailments.”
    “Whichever doctor you think the best. The child is suffering. Drive fast. Let us not delay.”

“Doctor, I am Sundar. My friend Ramesh suggested my consulting you. We have a peculiar problem. I have seated my wife in the adjoining room and would like you to have a look at her. She is having hallucinations about our child being sick and daily compels me to rush to the hospital. It all started like this. Six months back, my child developed very high fever and fits. While going to the hospital, our car met with an accident and our child had head injuries. We couldn’t save her, despite rushing her to hospital without delay. Ever since, my wife is having such hallucinations. My friend Ramesh suggested my meeting you. Please help”
    “Yes, I know Ramesh well. Let me check your wife up first and then speak to Ramesh also. You please wait here”.
    Dr. Nammalwar went to the adjoining room to see Sumathy.

“Mr. Ramesh, your friend Sundar has come to meet me. It seems you had suggested my name”.
    “Yes doctor. He has a peculiar problem. Few months back, while rushing his daughter to the hospital for treatment, his car met with a serious accident in which he lost his daughter. He has a guilty feeling and is depressed from then on. If I tried suggesting him to consult you, he wouldn’t listen. So, I suggested his bringing Sumathy to you.”
    “But, I don’t find his wife there”
    “Yes doctor, that is the problem. While he realises that his daughter is no more alive, the fact that his wife is also dead has not registered in his mind. Incidentally she died of head injuries after being in coma for a few days. Please help him out doctor” Ramesh pleaded.
    Dr. Nammalwar stood transfixed staring at the phone.
    ‘I think this fellow Ramesh also needs a counselling session on communication’ he told himself finally.
    Anbudan,
    RRG
    24/06/2020

2. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

drama, tragic and horrific at the same time. in a movie scene today, it would reduce to a comedy track

3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your feedback.
    Hope you liked the story.
    Cheers