1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

summer vacation

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by mohana, Jun 23, 2006.

1. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear friends,

Finally the summer vaccation strats.How do you keep your kids busy? Please share your ideas.

love,
    mohana.

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Good topic

Hi Mohana,

I have two kids, son is 7 plus & daughter is 3 plus. For my son, lots of activities like math(kumon, chess, piano, skating & tennis. So, every day, he attend one class; other than that, I always make him study 2 hrs both morning and evening. Noon, he will play with computer, watching TV, trampoline learning our Indian language like hindi or our mother tongue, tamil from me or paati/thatha(if they are there) and in the evening, a brisk walking alongwith bike riding and playing with their pals.

Other than the above, my son is old enough to draw and we have bought a book from Barnes & Nobles. So, everyday he practices and writing one page which will improve the handwriting. Also, reading everyday for some time is a wonderful habit and the school itself is encouraging(of course library too)!! Then, we discuss abt G.K. teaching them how to send mails, MS documents like this, many more..

For my daughter, comparatively, the activities are less. Still, she has friends to play with in the evening and like to read many library books. Similar to my son, we both will sit and read/write in the evening for 2 hrs. Then, will teach them music, bajans, slokams and they both also play with each other in between. Also, she tries to type in the computers by searching letters in the keyboard etc. Playing board games & UNO are also one of our favorites.

finally the day will end by watching their great serials like Dora, Caillou etc.

Bye.

3. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Dear Ami,
    Good to see yr reply.I have also two kids daughter 7+&son 3+. Almost like u said I have all these plans,means she is going to swimming and skating classes,making her study for 2 hours per day,taking her to the library for story time,crafts time, going to the park .weekly once she goes to her friends place to play. She comes one day.Its going on like these.,still some times she says amma I got bored.What to do?

Regarding learning Tamil do you follow any specific method?.Because my daughter she simply copy all letters whatevar I give.She dont remember anything(she is not interested,because of my compulsion only she starts to learn).I bought lot of books from India,but no use. If u are using any easy method please guide me.

Happy summer holidays.

bye.:wave

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Cooking

Hi Mohana,

I have 2 sons 9 and 2. I am facing the same problems too. The older one is enrolled in all the various classes, and then next week he is off to a science camp for 1 week. But then there is still sometimes when he comes and says he is bored. So now I am teaching him cooking. 7 is not too young. You can make things like cookies, or get the instant pudding mix and try making different things with it. bake a cake. let her handle all the mixing . measuring. I know the kitchen is a mess after these sessions, but i am making sure he cleans up too afterwards.

If you are in a house, you can let them plant a veggie garden or flowers etc....
    It is getting really hot here in CA now. so can garden only in few hours of the morning.

Have a good summer.

Vandhana