Sumangali Prarthanai & Pondugal

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by mkthpavi, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kavitha,
    Don't use words like "your guidance" etc & raise me to a pedestal!
    There must be enough elders who are thorough with the "know-how" in your house.
    Romba santhosham, KK.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Chitvish

Dear Vanaja,
    Such an old post continuing to receive FBs only shows that such topics are "ever-green" in our culture!
    Thanks for your very nice words.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. rama_mani

rama_mani Silver IL'ite

சுமங்கிலிப் பொண்டுகள்

சித்ரா மேடம்,

சுமங்கிலிப் பொண்டுகள்:

என் பெண்ணின் கல்யாணப் பொண்டுகள் ஒரு சில காரணங்களால் கல்யாணத்தின் போதே பண்ண முடியவில்லை. இப்போது அவள் இந்தியா வரும் சமயம் பண்ணலாம் என்று இருக்கிறேன்.

நான் என்னுடைய பையனுக்கு கல்யாணத்திற்கு பார்த்துக் கொண்டு இருக்கிறேன். கடவுள் கிருபையால் நல்ல பெண் கிடைத்து நிச்சயம் ஆனால் அவனுக்கும் கல்யாணப் பொண்டுகள் பண்ண வேண்டும் இல்லையா?

ஒரே வருடத்தில் இரண்டு கல்யாணப் பொண்டுகள் பண்ணலாமா என்று சந்தேகம்.

தயவுசெய்து விபரமாகச் சொல்லவும்.

நாங்கள் தஞ்சாவூர் பக்கம்.

நன்றி,

ரமாமணி

4. Chitvish

Dear Rama,
    I will get back to you in a couple of days.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. umaR

umaR New IL'ite

Dear chithra,
    thanks a ton on the above information. please would like to have the information on seemantham in english.
    with luv and thanks,
    Umaram

6. Chitvish

Dear Uma,
    In the same thread, Gayathriar has posted seemantham in english.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. umaR

umaR New IL'ite

hello chithra,
    thanks for ur reply. I could not locate gayathriar's posting of seemantham in english. perhaps i have to get used to how to go about as i have joined just 2 days back. would greatly appreciate to have valliakappu ritual in english.
    have a great day.
    with luv and regards,
    Umaram

8. Chitvish

9. Kalpanamdhar

Kalpanamdhar New IL'ite

Sumangali Prarthana

Dear Madam Chitra,

I have been following all the mails u have sent on the above mentioned topic. I originally belong to Trivandrum , married into a family from Salem. Four years ago when my sister in law delivered, a venduthal was made ( supposedly by me tho I seem to have forgotten whether it was me or not) that we will do sumangali prarthana at home . This has since been deferred due to some unforeseen circumstances. Now my MIL wishes to hold it on the 9th Nov in Bangalore where we stay.
    My areas of concern :
    1. 9th is sunday and ekadesi and poorathadi nakshatram. sounds like we are in for trouble if we hold it on that day.
    2. My husband has been asked to come in the traditional panchakacham tho' till now i have not heard of or seen the menfolk participating in this funstion except for coming and doing namaskarams to the podavalam after the puja is over.
    3. My sister in law is being asked to sit as a sumangali with her 3 1/2 year old daughter and my daughter who is still a kanya and 11 yrs old. . Besides this I was inormed that my co sister's daughter too will sit . She is 11 1/2 and attained maturity 6 months ago. These are the only people participating.

I am the elder of the two daughters in law in this family and so the resposibility of conducting falls on me since my MIL was widowed a year ago ( Varshabdi of my FIL got over this May ) and before u ask me no after the varshabdi sumangali prarthanai was not done.
    I have to go ahead with this arrangement albiet hesitatingly becoz I get a strange feelign everything is not OK. But I cannot do anythign about it. What do traditions say? What do shastras say? Please enlighten. Thanking you in advance and soliciting a prompt response from you.
    regards,
    kalpana.

10. Chitvish

Re: Sumangali Prarthana

Dear Kalpana,
    You have asked me many queries, which, I wonder, if I am competent to answer.
    First Sumangali Prarthanai goes by only Family Sampradayam & not by shastras.
    Sunday 9th is good as far as I consulted an elderly friend.
    A gir who has reached age can sit but will not considered one of the prescribed no: of 5 or 7. Kanya pons can definitely sit.
    Men coming in panchakacham is not a must, but there is nothing wrong.
    Kalpana, if you want to ask me, just do the same with full interest & devotion which will overcome the lapses in nitty grity details.
    I will be shifting this thread to the Religious forum tomorrow morning, hopefully by which time you should see this. Kindly acknowledge so that I can move it. Please post in the relevant forum to prevent the post being overlooked by me.
    Relax, perform & enjoy the function. Attitude is all that counts.
    Love,
    Chithra.