Sumangali Prarthanai & Pondugal

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by mkthpavi, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Hamsadhwani

Hamsadhwani Senior IL'ite

Mrs.C

You have done a detailed job explaining the procedure.
    Thanks to you !

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi chitra,

Thanks for the prompt post. i now compared notes. we have 9persons inclusive of a kannika pon. Then all the mattupon have to eat from the elai in pudavai kalam. and the saree is always given to the first daughter of the house. and then she can give it anyone. (In our house my husband's athai had demanded pattu 9-yards for coming for mangili pondukal. so the tradition has become 9 yards pattu saree-either green/arakku only. and one pattu pavadai to the kannika pon). Mil used to demand that the pondukal take bath in our house. (It used to create a lot of problems of course...) Daughter in laws are not allowed to sit as pondukal.

Chitra what about the months in tanjore tradition. is it the same as palghat.

One of the athais used to say that in thier the husbands have to serve the pondukal. i am not sure but he told it is called some poo pondukal or something.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pavithra,
    In Thanjavur tradition, DILs are not supposed to sit for the pondugal. But in Palakkad side it is the reverse & they must sit. The saree is always given to the eldest (usually) daughter of the family. Now a days, we give the other daughters also.
    The months are the same for both.
    The last you have mentioned - I have heard vaguely ! There is a tradition called Athisaya Pondugal, one called Poovadai panai etc. But I do not know about them. Previously, the pondugal would come & have a bath in that house. Now, because of space problems, that has all changed.
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chitvish

Dear Radha,
    Thankyou very much. I believe in
    செய்வன திருந்தச் செய்
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear chitra,

Thanks. again in our family the saree is given to the eldest and she can give it to any of the daughters.
    When i meet athai i will ask more about it and post. yes i think it is poovadai panai.

love
    shanthi.

6. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,

A very useful and relevant posting...!

I used to ask my grandma to write down the family traditions for Sumangali prarthanai, pondugal and the annual functions for the benefit of the subsequent generations. My childhood memories of pondugal are the marudhani, nalangu in the legs and the kolams I was delegated to draw along the wall ( perimeter of the rooms ) and the sumptous food, besides that there was no active involvement. All the details were taken care of by my grandma and mom.

After I got married, I am learning the traditions here from my MIL. I hail from a Thanjavur family married into a Thirunelveli family. For curiosity sake - is kari called poduthuval in palghat side too???

Thanks for the excellent posting. I am sure this will serve to be an inspiration for many.

-Gayathri.

7. Chitvish

Dear Gayathri,
    Thankyou very much for the feedback.
    I hail from a Thanjavur family settled in Madurai & married into a Palghat family. So the customs have reversed for me !
    Podithuval is curry with coconut - our "thengai potta kari".
    Vathakkal is called mezukkuperatti, upperi in some houses etc.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,

I am here after a long time. I was full of awe reading your sumangali prarthanai post. My SIL's wedding is nearing and MIL is plg to keep sumangali prarthanai. The notes given by you are far too spectacular, i think i can make a 'good impression ' on mamiyar by knowing all the details in advance :)

oh! how i missed ur threads all these days :) Thank so so much for being a pillar of support for all of us!

Purni

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  9. Chitvish

Dear Purnima,
    Long time ! It is nice to hear from you.
    Please do " bowl over" your mamiyar ! What I have given are typical Palghat Customs - but learn the minor deviations, practised in your family.
    Thankyou very much for your nice words.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Mrs. Chitra,
    It was very impressive to read about the Sumangali Prarthanai thread. But one small request, is there a specific tradition for Tirunelveli side? My father's family were not celebrating Sumangali Prarthanai for the past three generations. My mom and other perimma's(father's cousin's wives) started doing it, but they followed the general pattern. I know they wont want to change what they are doing but would like to know if there is any specific method for Tiunelveli people