Sumangali Prarthanai & Pondugal

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by mkthpavi, Mar 4, 2007.

1. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

hi chith,
    fantastic explination u have really done an extraordinary job.
    please keep enlightenin us.
    luv
    pavi

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pavi,
    Thankyou for your complements !
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. kb2000

kb2000 Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILites,

Here is the PDF of the Sumangali Prarthanai & Pondugal.

Thanks,
    kb2000

Attached Files:

4. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kb,
    Thank you verymuch for the fast work.
    Regards,
    Meenu

5. trv231

trv231 New IL'ite

dear madam,
    I belongs to thirunelveli district will you please tell me that tradition and please inform me any other tradition of doing this

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Since I have no authentic information on Thirunelveli customs, I am not able to answer you. Please excuse me.Love,
    Chithra.

7. malathyj

malathyj Silver IL'ite

Dear Mrs C, very very informative information, though i am from North Arcot district married into Madurai. These rituals are very important irrespective of which district you belong to and need to be seriously followed. I am very impressed. rgds M

8. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

dear chitra,

I am doing sumangali prarthanai once in three years with the guidance of my mother and my aunty. i am doing as explained by you. you have explained the procedures in an excellent manner.

raji.

9. saratha53

saratha53 New IL'ite

Could you please guide us on the practices for doing Sumangali Prarthanai with the background info given below:
    Our daughter's marriage is fixed on 29th & 30th august 2009 in Chennai (we live in Bangalore). My MIL & FIL annual Srardham falls on 10th & 26th August. We would like to perform Sumangali Prarthanai in our house (we will be doing after many years). As per your traditional practice, Sumangali prarthanai to be done after annual ceremony which means we can do it only on 27th august and leave for chennai for the marriage starting on 29th august. Unfortunately 27th & 28th august happens to ashtami/navami thithi when you are not supposed to undertake journey to perform marriage. We are in a dilemma as to when we should do the sumangali prarthanai. There are differing opinions expressed by sastrigals in bangalore / chennai / kerala and would like to seek your views on the above. we have received following views:
    kerala: do it between two ceremonies of my MIL &FIL (i.e between 10th and 26th august)
    Chennai: do it only on 27th august after my FIL ceremony (on 26th) in chennai just prior to marriage or offer prayers to do after marriage (we would like to do at home and prefer to do it before marriage)
    bangalore: do it in the previous paksha i.e before July 15th (not in the month of aadi and avani month when my MIL and FIL ceremonies are to be performed.
    Your guidance on the above will be quite helpful to move further and fix dates in advance. (we belong to Trichy and would like to follow the traditions in these areas)
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Saratha :crazy

10. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey Chitu

Fantastic job! This will definitely be a bible for young people who want to follow our customs. Thanks for sharing.

We do the sumangali prarthanai similar to what you have described, only main difference is that we ask the main person to have a bath in our house. Other 5-6 people can come after bathing from their houses.