1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

suggestions to help physically challenged person

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by radk, Apr 15, 2007.

1. radk

radk New IL'ite

i really couldnt find the right forum to post this and had posted this in another forum but noticed no one seem to reply / inspite of multiple views :cry:
    I AM NOT ASKING ANYONE FOR ANY MONEY JUST SUGGESTIONS :idontgetit: anyways , i wanted some suggestions i have a close relative in india who is physically challenged (polio)
    i wanted to help her be independent ,she is a good cook thats the only thing that she is passionate about ,i wanted to help her set up a small business / home business or any other ways that can help bring her JOy making money is not as big a criteria as to making her feel that she can do something on her own / tried working with spastics society but they dont really seem to care much ,i dont have a lot of funds to support her too, she has nothing of her own.
    does anyone has experience working and helping a phys challenged person and helped him/her move up ? . i dont mind working with any organization as long as they really help her ,not just look out to make funds.

any suggestions/ideas will be greatly appreciated

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Radk,
    I will spread the word around in my circle of freinds and let you know when i know of any organisation in india that helps physically challenged people to get set in a paying profession.

The local womens wing of Lions club might be a good place to start. You can google for local branches and may be they have contact info there??

Another good start would be to approach a successful home foods business like swagruha and see if they might be interested in taking her on as a working partner......It will be good advertising for them (giving back to the community kind of thing.

I commend you for your good work.....

Pushpa

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I am touched and happy to see that lovely people like Radk and Pushpa are amidst us. My respects to both you ladies.
    I feel bad that I am not of much help. I can pray and wish you all the best in your endeavors to help.

L, Kamla

4. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

RadK,

Another suggestion is approaching the food commitee heads of TANA / ATA and the likes (TANA stands for Telugu Association of N.America and ATA stands for American Telugu assoc.) and see if they would be a prospective customer for a business like your relatives. An event is held every year by these Assoc. where thousands of dollars are spent on food contracting out. I am thinking about contract for snacks and pickles??

websites for tana:

Home - Telugu Association of North America

ATA:

American Telugu Association

Both these org's have several ongoing projects that give back to the motherland one of which is supporting cottage industries (your relative's prospective home business can fall under this)

Pushpa

5. radk

radk New IL'ite

thanks a lot pushpa glad u offered help/ suggestions

6. Nimbu

Nimbu Silver IL'ite

Suggestions to help physically challenged person HELP needed!

I didn't start a new thread as this is also a similar topic..

Can anyone guide me for disabled people to get some finance help to start a small shop?

Let me explain the scenario...the person is in his mid 40's he used to get seizures/epilepsy and also both legs are polio attack from hip to foot got a same kinda life partner...Very sad to see that they crawl with their hands to do their activities as they can't walk or stand.

God blessed them with 2 kids (7 and 3) parents are educated only till schooling not completed even 10th level. Now their problem is no proper income to even feed/educate the kids.. girl's family no help as she was brought up in an orphanage. His relatives very occasionally help to atleast feed the kids..but no permanent support. He is not able to go for regular even daily wage work (watch repairing) ..becos he gets seizures often..

Some genuine contacts/help is needed to get them start a small watch repair shop to earn their daily living...

Kind hearted or generous people here please don't ignore this post and come with your suggestions to help this real needy people!

No bogus involved he is my own maternal uncle I try my best to get them atleast the vegetables/milk to make them survive but now that I not in the country and even I'm unable to do the help what I was doing earlier feel so bad and really want to do something for them.

Any contacts of NGO's is most welcomed...Thanks a Lot!!!