Suggestions Requested For A Grammar Book

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by cheenu123, Dec 15, 2016.

1. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I'm working as a content writer for a healthcare website. I'm very keen on refreshing my grammar skills however, I don't know which book should I consider reading? I also want that the book should have lots of exercises with answers. It shouldn't be too elementary though.

Thanks in advance
    Cheenu

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Wre
    Wren n Martin

coffeecups likes this.
  3. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

Wren n Martin
    Warriners

songbird46 likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    cheenu123 and Rihana like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This is harder. I haven't done any grammar exercises since middle-school (which 'native speaker' has?:rolleyes:), although I have taught English informally to non-native speakers - but then you are probably much further along than they. In any case, take a look at these and see if they are too elementary for you. I have used them fruitfully with students trying to improve their English, mostly Asian.

The Blue Book of Grammar & Punctuation
    The Only Grammar Book You Will Ever Need & Workbook

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    cheenu123 and Rihana like this.
  6. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

You have stated your motive but not the reason for brushing up on Grammar skills.
    In my experience people confuse "Grammar" with "Good language" and they both are as different as chalk and churro.

When you said "Grammar" did you mean writing flawless English that adheres to syntactical rules or did you mean "Good language" that appeals to the readers of your healthcare website?

If you meant "Grammar" in scholastic sense to comply with linguistic creed of a purist then you already have links and references in above posts. But if you meant "Grammar" as a style guide to enrich your language then you need to draw out a practical plan rather than committing to these laborious exercises.

You have to practise reflective grammar/good language. You can't train yourself to identify asperities in language from a set of instructions in a rulebook but you have to discern "good" and "bad" grammar idiomatically.

(1) Watch television programmes that are renowned for fostering good language.
    (2) Read magazines and media articles like New Yorker and Slate that instill a good taste in vocabulary.
    (3) Rigorous exercises may help you to imprint tricks but you will be able to remember things better when you learn playfully by watching television or reading Roald Dahl books.
    (4) Be mindful of language around you. When anyone uses a new word, a new construct or a sing-song tense then refer to dictionary/style guide/grammar book but rather than learning from bottom-up you may find it helpful to approach this challenge as top-down.

Lastly, some of the enshrined books are so fusty and language is fluid. You may want to read up articles on "Is Grammar necessary anymore" and "Is Comma splice accepted now" on the net to realise how language swings and adapts.