1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on electric sewing machine

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by amihere, Dec 27, 2013.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I always wanted to buy a foot pedal one.While talking to a friend she suggested electric sewing machine.Cany anyone recommend me a tried and tested model in electric sewing machine. Would be great if someone can give me fbs on electric v/s foot pedal sewing machine.

2. prabha1

prabha1 Bronze IL'ite

hi,

it dependence on what you will sew on the machine, if you want to use the machine
    for demonstric purpose or order work.

according to me you should have a machine with pedal and connect with the motor with a electronic pedal.

if no electricity you canot use the machine if it is with power control one.

regards
    prabha

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Prabha,
    Mine would be just for home use. Like stitching a few frocks,salwars..altering a few clothes etc.

4. vinu01

vinu01 New IL'ite

last week, [COLOR=#009900 !important]I bought[/COLOR] [COLOR=#009900 !important]singer 8280[/COLOR] from singer india pvt ltd showroom for Rs 8500/-. After discussions with friends and dealers, I decided to choose singer brand because of its stitch quality and durability. After studying the features of each model and considering my budget, I decided to choose either 8280 or stitch magic, and then zeroed in on 8280 comparing the pros and cons.

1) The stitch magic has fiber bobbin case, costs approx Rs 250/-, which might break if needle touches it. The 8280 model has metallic robbin case so only the needle breaks which costs only Rs 5/-. The issue happens if the needle is not fitted properly, bent or move the fabric by force while stitching.

2) The stitch magic has more stitching patterns compared to 8280 but the basic features and quality is same.

3) The stitch magic has more features & options which means more chances for issues and repair cost. The auto threading feature is not that much easy to use, delicate and prone to damage easily. The replacement cost is also high. This is common to auto threading feature in other branded machines also.

4) Even with these drawbacks, stitch magic is a good choice if we do a lot of [COLOR=#009900 !important]embroidery[/COLOR]work! It has a good number of stitching patterns, controls and fittings for embroidery work.

I am mainly interested in general stitching works so decided to go for singer 8280.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]MY experience with the machine is good, and the speed controller is very smooth,easy and gives much control even at slow speed. So, I recommend [/FONT]singer 8280 if you are looking for machine for general stitching works with a little embroidery[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] work, and the stitch magic is good choice if your main purpose is [/FONT]embroidery work and your are in tight budget.

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vinu,
    Thanks for a detailed fb. I am not planning to do heavy embroidery(atelast as of now).And what you stated is correct the more the features(esp. automatic) the more the chance to go kaput.Please let me know if this foot pedal model or electric. I have used only foot pedal models before, so want to know if using the electric ones are easier or does it take time to get adjusted to it.

6. vinu01

vinu01 New IL'ite

Don't worry..electric models are easier than traditional foot pedal models. I've used both manual and electric models and feel speed control is much easier in electric models especially singer brand. You can even stitch in such a slow speed where you can count the number of stitches. At least its possible in singer 8280 model that I use. In electrical model, starting of stitching is easy because you can use both hands for adjusting the fabric, but in manual model you have to use one hand to turn the wheel in proper direction while starting the stitching especially if you are not well experienced. In manual model, you use your hands for speed control and stopping also, but in electrical model your hands are always free... Electrical models also stop stitching as soon as you release the foot controller, and start stitching in very controlled manner as you progressively press the foot controller. So, don't worry about electric model...it will take max 30mins to get familiar with it if you use basic model like singer 8280..otherwise it will take some time to get familiar with extra options like stitching style selector etc.

7. lakshmivarthan

lakshmivarthan Bronze IL'ite

dear all.
    i am a new comer for stitching and tailoring...
    after a lot of suggestions and ideas from my friends and near bys, i have finally settled with Singer mutltistitch machine. an electric one.... the price was 6000 from home shop18 and the machine works very nicely....
    my need was only for house hold purpose and i strongly recommend it to all... the basic machine is around 5.2 and the electric one with many stitch options is 6.0....
    so both cost wise and efficiency wise singer multi stitch is very good...

this is my suggestion..

8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vinu, thanks for dropping by again.Happy new year to you. Also thank you for the detailed explanation.What is a foot controller?

Hi LakshmiVarthan,Happy new year and thanks for the fb.If you dont mind can you tell me how long have you been using this machine?

9. vinu01

vinu01 New IL'ite

Happy New Year :) I used the term foot controller just to mention the 'Speed Controller Foot Pedal'. Anyway, just visit a near by sewing machine shop where you can see and try everything! Almost all dealers will be happy if you ask for a demo at their shop!