1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions Needed For A Friend's Situation

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Sparkle, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

A friend, lets call her E. E lives in US. She will be moving out of her current place in a few days with her family. E's LO goes to a school that has a picture day scheduled next week. E prepped the outfit and is also working on the LO by talking about the picture day, smiling, posing etc. While dropping her LO off at school yesterday, she turned in the forms for the picture day and the teacher Ms. C refused to accept it. Ms. C claims that E will be out in few days, by then the pictures won't be ready and she won't take responsibility to mail them to E's new address. Plus she also said its expensive to mail the pictures since its expensive - even though E is ready to bear the costs.
    E is now confused and upset about why they even informed her about picture day in the first place. Even before she could ask for the pictures to be mailed, Ms.C dismissed her and was not ready to accept the forms. Plus, E's LO will be bummed and feel left out.
    I suggested her to take her LO for the picture day regardless. What should I tell her or how do I help her in handling the whole situation, especially Ms.C?

Thanks,
    Sparkle.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

First off, the teacher is right in not taking up the hassle of mailing the pictures and all that. She could, but if she doesn't, she can't be blamed. Teachers have so much to keep track of.

Just dress the child well, and send her to school that day like the other kids. Make sure teacher is not having her sit out the photo session, and doesn't do something crazy like excluding her from class group picture.

E could contact the photo company directly, and see if she can order from their website.

Overall, school pictures are more hype than they are worth. Mostly, parents are more interested than the kids. IF the little one is bummed out, during her last few days at school, take a bunch of pictures at favorite spots, with friends, teacher, yard duty teacher, lunch duty people, and so on. Help her make them into a slideshow with music and all that on a computer using basic moviemaker kind of software. They need parent volunteers during photo session. If E likes, she can go and volunteer at that time.

If E has a not very expensive digital camera, she can give that to the teacher to take pics during the day....... something special for the little one, to make leaving school and friends less sad.

Also, E could ask another mom of another child from the class to take the responsibility of mailing the pictures.

3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Rhiana. I agree, the teacher doesn't have to take responsibility of mailing the pictures. I will talk to her about contacting the photo company, another mom collecting the pictures and taking pictures in the school.

If I remember correctly, they just handed over a form about picture day and said nothing about how to collect the photos later. She is more disappointed that the teacher kind of made the decision for her and assumed that she will not bring in her LO anyway and refused to help, even before she could ask details about picture day. She wants to tell the teacher all this directly, but I asked her to wait until the last day of school. Should she talk to the teacher?

sindmani likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There's nothing to talk. A fun school event's product will be available only after the child has moved from the school.

Picture and Picture day is just one thing. The class could be rehearsing something for Halloween/Harvest Day. There might be a special assembly like magic show coming up. Teacher might be reminding the class about reward thingie like they get to watch a movie in the month-end for good behavior. The child is going to miss these too.

So, I think, E should treat this as a teachable moment. Have the little one make cards or small notes for classmates and teacher a few days before last day at school. Chances are some will reciprocate. And usually, the teacher also has the class do something nice if a kid is leaving. That's enough.

If the child is old enough to communicate her feelings to teacher, maybe she can do it. I frankly feel the mom is more into this, and is making it a bigger deal than it needs to be.

sindmani, guesshoo and Sparkle like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Can you ask any other 'mother' to send you the pic?
    Get the pic taken.
    Ask the teacher to hand over the pic to that 'mother'. Pay her to send it to you.

I have collected reports,pics and I have asked my friends to do the same for my kids.
    Send a thank you card to the mother .

sindmani and Sparkle like this.
  6. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your suggestions yellomango! I will inform my friend about these suggestions.

7. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

In most schools nowadays, there is an e-option. Of getting the scanned / online version of the pictures to your Email ID.
    I think she should take her LO to the Picture Day, and get the pics emailed to herself, if she is so insistent on it.

This would just take Ms. C out of the pic (ha, pun!) completely!

8. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Thank you dimhere. Yes, there is a website option to download the portraits. But it looks like they charge around $150-$200 for a single portrait. God knows why. Will let her know about the emailing option also.

sindmani likes this.