1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for Helping a handicapped person

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by radk, Mar 25, 2007.

1. radk

radk New IL'ite

i really couldnt find the right forum to post this anyways , i wanted some suggestions i have a close relative in india who is physically challenged (polio)
    i wanted to help her be independent ,she is a good cook thats the only thing that she is passionate about ,i wanted to help her set up a small business / home business or any other ways that can help bring her JOy making money is not as big a criteria as to making her feel that she can do something on her own / tried working with spastics society but they dont really seem to care much ,i dont have a lot of funds to support her too, she has nothing of her own.
    does anyone has experience working and helping a phys challenged person and helped him/her move up ? . i dont mind working with any organization as long as they really help her ,not just look out to make funds.

any suggestions/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear radk,
    I appreciate you for your initiate someone, that too physically challenged. I shall look around for any org. which helps such people.
    In the meanwhile, when I attended bakery classes at the Chennai Culinary Institute, Mrs.Chandri Bhatt (she is the Principal) informed me that she takes up batches of girls from economically poor back ground and train them to make food and packet them to be sold at places where they are in demand. They do it without taking fees from the girls, but they have to be recommended by a reputed social service organisation.
    The phone number of Chennai Culinary Institute is 24982423, 9884087248.
    Also RCMCT-WORTH Trust Rehbilitation Centre ,
    GIRM (Annexe), Jawaharlal Nehru Road, K.K.Nagar.Phone - 24740204, 23713410. These people help physically challenged people to get trained in computers etc. and get them placements also.
    I shall post some more, give me some time.

3. radk

radk New IL'ite

thanks varlakshmi , she is in mumbai ,so places in chennai hmm would be a little difficult anyways thanks for ur reply