1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for buying a Idli dough grinder

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sheeba, Oct 15, 2005.

1. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I am planning to go to India during Christmas. Last time when I came to the US, I did not carry a grinder with me, just got only a mixie. This time I am thinking of bringing a grinder.

But I'm in a dilemma, whether to buy here in the US or buy and carry it from India? Because, I am not sure about the voltage capacity, warranty, getting it shipped propery in the airlines, etc.

Please share your ideas - the pros and cons of buying it in India?
    Also, the Ultra grinders available here in the desi stores roughly how much do they cost? Is there any stores that sell Ultra grinders in Florida?

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sheeba,

One of my friends bring idli grinder from India. They got it in Chennai (available in all big cities. )You can specifically ask for usage in North America. Now they make it in 110 volts, specially make it for the usage in American continent. They can pack the grinder, which you can straight away take it to the airport. If you have no other
    heavier luggage you can very well get it from India.
    In New Jersey various models of grinders are available. They ship it to anywhere in US. But the price is expensive I think, starting from $150.
    Bye.

3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

grinder from India

I also bought it from (chennai)India only and heard the price difference between here and there could be app., 5000 in Indian currency.

The only drawback might be if there is any problem with the grinder in the first couple of yrs(no warranty as it is from India), have to pay from yr hand.

Rgds.

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sheeba

When I came to the US last yr,I bought this grinder with me-it is called 'Ultra Pride-110 volts-made by Elgi Industries.Ofcourse,it came in my cargo so I did not have a problem bringing it here.It is a table top grinder and suits our needs perfectly.

Cheers

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear sheeba,
    You also get grinders made by Sowbhagya- it is called Sowbhagya Shree and it is very compat. They manufacture for use in US also. It is very small and occupies very less place. You better see for yourself and then buy the brand which is most convenient for you.
    Varloo

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

suggestions

Hai Sheeba,
    Happy new year to you and uour family. I just enquired about the idli dough grinder, the US version costs around Rs.4,700 , Sowbhagya Company. Check it out.
    varloo

7. preethubala

preethubala New IL'ite

hey
    my advice is dont go for sowbhagya.... go for ultra its really gud coz i experienced with both :) sowbhagya get strucked in the mid way and gets heat soon and true it will b compact but not worth it!

8. sriradha

sriradha New IL'ite

hi friend
    i got my grinder in US only
    here also thy hv variety with different capacity
    i brought ultra its the same brand my mom has it in India