1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest ways to make milk intersting for one year old

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by sidrasmom, Apr 29, 2010.

1. sidrasmom

sidrasmom New IL'ite

Hi

My dd is just turned one.Our ped has suggested to start off with the normal cows milk ( 20 ounces A day if not BF).I am BF and trying to wean.Other than that she takes juices & water from sippy cup or from direct juice carton with a straw.

Ped told us to just give raw milk without any sugar.First day i just gave plain milk (little warm) , she did not like the taste.Then i put little sugar & tried she just took 2 sips.Then i put some bournvita and tried ,again just 2 sips.

The same day i was drinking from a carton those fat free flavored milk we get from costco.she wanted that.she fought for it & drank that.I know its of no use because its fat free skimmed milk and & cold.I dont know if its the flavour or the fact it was cold.But i cant afford both at this time as its quite chilly here.

Any suggestions to make the normal milk tasty.I am thinking of buying nesquick.Cant give pediasure as it says for more than 24 months.I know weaning is going to difficult but want her to atleast start drinking normal milk once a day

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Kudos to you for reaching the one year mark in BF ... hope you can continue it for awhile as it is really the best gift you can give to your child.

I was an exclusive pumper since my child did not latch. What I did to wean him was mix the breast milk with regular milk. I started off with 80% BM and 20% regular whole cow's milk, and then each week, increased the % of whole milk by 10%. In 2 months, he was totally on cows milk.

3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Congrats on BFing for so long. I have a one year old too and am trying to wean atleast one feed. My DD takes some milk but only with sugar and a drop of vanilla extract! I've been advised against giving horlicks/complan,etc as they contain empty calories. Maybe you can try mildly chilled milk? Or you could try milkshakes. The taste of milk is not very appealing! ;-) I started with chilled milk, otherwise she refused to drink. And giving the milk when she is hungry helps :) Now I have moved on to milk that is at room temperature.

4. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

You can try sweetening with a few spoons of jaggery syrup too, which is healthier than sugar. Earlier one neighbour of mine did that for her son & he loved it ! Gulped it down thinking it was payasam :)

5. sidrasmom

sidrasmom New IL'ite

Thank you ladies.
    Will try out the new ideas.