1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

suggest snacks that stay fresh(without getting spoiled) till evening

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Aarathy, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Aarathy

Aarathy New IL'ite

my son will be going to after school care next month.. i have to leave office at 7.00 am.i have to prepare snacks(for daycare)before 6.00 am/the previous evening..he will have his snacks at around 4.00 pm..can anyone suggest some nutrituous snacks that can stay fresh without refrigeration and also easy to prepare...we live in chennai...will fruits stay fresh(without spoiling)till evening?

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Fruits like bananas,orange which are not peeled will remain fresh for long.
    For snacks you can try home made peanut chikkies, aval velechathu (pressed rice cooked in jaggery)
    or rice-jaggery laddoos etc.These will not only remain fresh but they are also stomach filling and healthy.And these can be made well in advance and kept without refrigeration for about a week.

3 people like this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Sunni undalu (roasted udad dal powder + sugar + ghee) is extremely simple to make!

You can keep the powder indefinitely and mix with ghee for about a weeks stock and keep it outside - delicious, full of good protein, fibre and vitamins :) try with jaggery to increase the vitamin content

Try rava laddoo or besan laddoo or coconut laddoo etc..

nuts mixture, murukku, roasted dal/channa rice puffs/wheat puffs with peanuts and chilli powder if he prefers savoury stuff

You could make chikki with caramelised sugar or jaggery, add mixed nuts and cut into pieces - they stay outside for weeks

Also, try making home-made cookies - you can make savoury or sweet or nut-filled or chocolate or coconut, try out wheat flour or oats or peanut butter instead of maida, try with canola oil instead of butter, honey instead of sugar, make salty cookies with jeera/saunf/ginger/chilli - they'll stay for some days too

Make a good variety and keep for 2-3 weeks, surprise your child with a different home made snack every day :)

6 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dinny and hrastro...you girls made my mouth water with the mention of sunni undau and chikkis! Its been forever since I had them!

Aarathy, apart from the above advises, if he knows how to apply jam on bread, bread and jam are the most popular and most liked snack. My school going nephew also loves sunrise biscuits with cream in it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Aarathy

Aarathy New IL'ite

thank u dinny , hrastro and rakhii.. can i give him sprouts...can i prepare them the previous day evening,refrigerate it and give it to him..will it last till evening?

rakhii,
    can i apply jam on bread and send it to him?will it get soggy?

6. cedantseq

cedantseq New IL'ite

very useful thread

7. Rakhii

Aarathy, soaked sprouts will stay fresh, you dont even have to refrigerate. You can soak some in the night and quickly before leaving in the morning, you can pack them. But Boiled sprouts will get spoiled.

Yes Aarathy, I am pretty sure that bread will get soggy. But I think it will stay fine if you apply jam on chapati though.

2 people like this.
  8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

wow!! Rakhii...thats a great idea....i have to try this soon.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rakhii

:) :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  10. Aarathy

Aarathy New IL'ite

can i give him boiled egg/or any egg based snack...will it be good in the evening...he loves eggs