Suggest me about Emirates SFO-Chennai route

Discussion in 'Travel' started by HariSriPriya, Mar 31, 2010.

1. HariSriPriya

HariSriPriya Senior IL'ite

Hi,

We are traveling for the first time through Emirates airlines from SFO-MAA(San Franscisco to Dubai, Dubai to chennai) in April Mid... As the first flight is for 15 hours:crazy i am worried about the travel. Could anyone tell me/suggest me abt this airlines..:spin
    1. How the food/service would be? (We are strict vegetarians)?:idea
    2.Traveling with 2 year old daughter , food to carry for toddler?:bonk
    3.Can we pack some home made food( like chapati/bread/snacks) with us.. I carried them when we travel thru British airways.. not sure abt this airlines?:hide:
    4. Also any other suggesstion for travel is mostly welcome..:)

Thanks

2. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya,

I recently traveled by Emirates and while going to India there service was excellent , but was so frustrated on my onward journey from India. That was manily coz of the delay at Dubai airport and since there timings are a bit odd ..... i was stranded at Dubai airport for more than 7 hrs with 5 yr old kid at midnight .
    We had also requested for Jain meals..... they were real tasty but then since my flight was late they couldn't get me any jain food while comming back.... so i would suggest you to carry some homemade food esp when u are traveling with a kid.

3. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

I travelled emirates with my 18 months old toddler from SFO-MAA recently and had a good experience.
    1. How the food/service would be? (We are strict vegetarians)?:idea
    I'm a strict vegetarian too. I had ordered for Asian/Indian Vegetarian meal. It was pretty good.No complains there . :) Please be aware 'Hindu meal' will contain meat. Be specific about asking for vegetarian atleast 24 hours before the travel.

2.Traveling with 2 year old daughter , food to carry for toddler?
    3.Can we pack some home made food( like chapati/bread/snacks) with us.
    They have baby food like mixed veggies or bananas like gerber jars if it's an infant. For toddlers who buy a seat, they get kids meal which is good too. You can take food for the baby as well. I took idli, some pongal and a couple of chapathis for my DD. Also I took some flavored milk cartons (small 8 Oz cartons), though my DD didn't drink it, some biscuits, snacks. They have milk too. In short, you can pack all that your baby wants in a diaper bag and no issues there.

4. Also any other suggesstion for travel is mostly welcom
    a. Please don't forget to carry tylenol/motrin - my DD developed fever while coming back and was on tylenol every 4 hours.
    b. Carry light for in Chennai airport the stroller comes to the carousal directly and not at the gate. I had a hard time carrying hand luggage (mine) and her heavy diaperbag and also carrying her. Same while coming to SFO also. The stroller was given after the immigration clearance. So I would advice you to travel light. I learnt it the hard way.. :rant

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
  4. HariSriPriya

Hi Vaidehi,
    Thanks for the info abt Jain meals... I saw that on their site.. will select that .. Also our transit time is only 2 hrs between the connecting flights(both onward and return journey).. so i little worried wht will happen if the flight is delayed for some reasons.......mm... need to prepare for this... It is really hard to wait for 7 hrs with kid ,,,,i can understand..let me hope for the best...
    thanks again

5. HariSriPriya

Hi,

Thanks for ur wonderfull suggestions...
    :eek:mg: .:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg: I didnot know abt the stroller.. me and DH were assuming we can take stroller as one of cabin/hand baggage- meaning it will be with us or handedover at the gate..so no need to carry my LO.... mmm....... now we need to plan does stroller is really required ... i will pack idlies and other snack items asusual.. just was confused wht happens if Emirates refuses .. now i m cleared... thanks...

6. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Ok.. Here is how it went for me. I felt stroller is required. You can take your stroller till the gate at SFO, give it there at the gate. At Dubai airport as soon as you exit the plane, there are strollers (red color) provided by the airport itself. (They have different types, regular, tandem etc., and you can use any of it. You can see the strollers kept in a rack once you come out of the airbridge)You can use that in the airport. It's much easier since you can take the stroller directly through security (no need to remove the baby and send the stroller through X-ray, as we do here as it is their stroller). Again drop off their (red) stroller at the gate and at Chennai airport is where you'll be given YOUR stroller at the carousal. And as you know, you've to carry the baby and luggage till you get the stroller. I believe it's the same for all airlines at Chennai airport.

It's the same while coming back also.

Since you are travelling with your hubby then you won't have any problems. (I travelled alone and felt difficult carrying all this at Chennai airport)

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010