1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Suggest good brand of Hair Straightener

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by skalluri, Jul 14, 2010.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

I have been using meera shampoo for the last few years and it works great. It keeps my hair thick, long and smells great too :thumbsup. It might work out economically if you can buy it from India(the rs2 sachets are cheap and not heavy to carry as well) rather than buying it here(expensive!).

2. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

Suja,

My mom usually makes this 'curry leaves' oil. She used to have very thick, dark and very very curly (but manageable hair). Now that she is 60+, she's got grey hair. She applies this oil daily.
    But experts say that it is not okay to leave any oil in the hair and so, it is better to apply oil and then take a head bath after that.

I will tell you the procedure for the curry leaves oil:

First wash curry leaves well and let them dry in the shadow.
    Then grind them well and put these grinded curry leaves in pure coconut oil (in a pan or kadai).
    Place the pan/kadai in the stove and let it remain so until the oil is hot (and the sound due to heating stops). Then, let it cool down.
    You may leave it as such for 2 or 3 days and then, if you want you can filter the oil (my mom doesnot filter it) and use the oil.
    The advantage of curry leaves is that it will avoid grey hair (that happens at a young age).
    You may also use olive oil instead.

Since we live in a really hot place where the temperature shoots up to almost 50 degrees C, we make sure that we apply oil and then take a head bath every week.

3. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I like this procedure, I will try it. even I am thinking of applying oil every day or alternate day with good oil message. I have to be serious in taking care of my hair now. I will follow your tips of shikakai and curry leaves boiled coconut oil.

Sujatha.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

You can also get Shikai shampoo in health food stores: an established brand of shikakai shampoo. Now they also are making bath gels too.

I personally wonder about all the oil on and then shampoo like crazy to get it off...seems it is hard on hair although I know lots of Indian ladies swear by it. I have fine hair (straight) and what I do is use a natural shampoo (currently love Liggett's Shampoo Bars) and if my hair needs a little something, use a tiny amount of shine oil (maybe 1/8 tsp.). I find that less is more even in hair care.

5. Padma3

Padma3 New IL'ite

Hi . .I am going to straighten my hair in parlour using Loreal Xtenso ,after so any research and reviews I am opting this option. I have already used Loreal brand few years back and it lasted pretty long time for more than 9 months if I remember exactly. If anyone used this brand (Loreal Xtenso)let me know how it was.

6. Manda

Manda New IL'ite

I heard Chi brand is very good..but they are expensive..about $100! i bought the Conair Infiniti Pro fom Costco..i think it was bout $30. Its good and works for me.

If you get a straightener, you can also use it to make small half curls are the ends ..just twist the ends.

7. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

I had been having trouble with my hair as well, thinning, falling out and graying. My hair started graying at a very early age. On the advise of my hairdresser I changed shampoo (Nioxin) which was supposed to help but it didn't. I read about Biotin and I started taking Biotin (Vitamin b6) pills and after about 6 weeks I saw a big difference in my hair. It stopped falling out, the hair color pigment started to get darker, I see less gray hairs and also my nails are no longer brittle. I take one at bedtime. I have been taking these for about 1 year now.

I use Remington brand 1" ceramic plate hair straightner. It works very well.

Thanks,
    Oopall.

8. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Sedu Revolution Tourmaline hair straightener is good, and you can get it for around $70-80 with good deals. You can check folica.com for various hair straighteners. They have many discounts and offers almost everyday. So keep looking until you find the best deal.

9. SuperLily

SuperLily Gold IL'ite

Hi.. i have Philips salonstraight HP8315 Hair straightener. it has active Ion & gives shine to hair. bcoz of its ceramic plates hair get less damaged. but remember to apply heat protector before straightening...

10. Padma3

Padma3 New IL'ite

Hurray!!! At last my hair looks gorgeous pin straight ...as I told before I did Loreal Xtenso permanent hair straightening in saloon though little expensive its worth it.. I had couple of times hair wash and let it air dry no need to blow dry or ironing.I too have a sedu straightener bought from folica.com but now I don't think I need it until my hair grows back ( hopefully it shd stay for 1 year)since I have a toddler at home ,this saved melot of time