1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sufferings

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The search for a spiritual path is pursued by human beings because of the sufferings. How much ever the human mind hates the sufferings, it is the sufferings that lay the road to pursue the Truth. Every life is in pursuit of endless happiness which is described in the scriptures as Bliss. Bliss is explained in the “Anandavalli” of Taittriya Upanishad as one hundred to the power of ten of normal human happiness. But before we pursue the Bliss, we need to know the opposite of it as it is impossible to measure Bliss without understanding what is suffering and how it is caused. As we all know, the pair of opposites help us measure the value of each other.

Once we recognize the need for a spiritual path, the teachings that are available are not homogeneous and mutually compatible creating confusion to the human mind. We don’t get a single collation of all teachings when we search humanity’s spiritual heritage, both ancient and contemporary creating utter confusion in the human mind.

Eventually, we end up combining the teachings of many and create an eclectic solution from Buddhism’s mindfulness meditation, Hinduism’s mantra meditation, Christianity’s prayer with Sufi dancing, Jewish Kabbala teachings and Tibetan visualization exercises. This eclectic method may help us to substantially move away from worldly and materialistic thinking, it doesn’t fully resolve the sufferings we face in real life. In other words, this vehicle doesn’t take us to the destination.

Our goal in life is to pursue happiness and understand the root cause of the sufferings and unfortunately, the solution can be derived only by our own investigation and self-inquiry than plenty of teachings available off the shelf. The teachings are guidelines and are not instructions customized for everyone’s needs created by their inherent nature. The prime requirement is a way to the end of suffering. In making this investigation, there are three criteria. One is to find a full and accurate picture of the range of sufferings. Second is to find a correct analysis of the causes of such sufferings and third and final is which path offers solution for removal of such sufferings at the source which means the path should eradicate the causes than the sufferings.

Let us examine the root causes of sufferings. They are a) impermanence making life insecure and uncertain, b) desires and attachments which lead to karma and bondage, c) delusion and ignorance caused by Maya, d) repeated births and deaths, e) attraction and aversion to pair of opposites, f) contact and separation from objects of desires, g) attachment to sense objects, h) ownership and doership, i) human qualities Rajasic, Tamosic and Satwic influencing thoughts and actions, j) demonic qualities and evil nature characterized by pride, lust, anger, greed and envy, k) lack of faith in Self and l) lack of discretion and judgment.

Now, one wonders with these many root causes, where one begin to comprehend them and try to eliminate them. We are running against time. Right from spiritual gurus to scientists are all saying time is just a concept and illusion and it is created because of human memory. Without human memory, time doesn’t exist. It is the memory that projects lineal progression of events happening in life. Let us not worry about time.

Let us begin inquiry as to what is transient in life and how to find what is permanent, what brings our thoughts, how do we develop desires and attachments, how do we find out what is real and unreal, what caused us to come into existence by studying how our mind works to understand our encryption, how one practices equanimity, how can we control disappointments by controlling the expectations, how can one remain unattached sense objects, how can we perform actions with no emotions attached, how can we develop more Satwic qualities, how do we control our demonic qualities that erupts from time to time like a volcanic eruptions, how do I believe there is a great source that is ready and willing to guide me to pursue the ultimate happiness and how do I use my discrimination power to make proper judgment about right living.

Pain killers are only for killing the pain and they are not permanent solutions. We need to find what caused the pain and remove the root cause of the pain. Band-Aid works only for little bit of bleeding and if we have major wound, we need to fix it through surgery and stiches. Let us not be constrained by time and get inside of us to investigate with a hope that we will resolve our sufferings forever.The one which causes the pain, the mind, is also capable of finding the solution, if we find the right path to investigate ourselves.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear vishwa my friend
    A very interesting post from u.
    The last para particularly I loved.the band aid example.yes we need to introspect and find out where we are at fault.and then take steps to fix the problem.
    Excellent vishwa.happy holi.
    Regards
    Kamal

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Kamalji,

Thank you for your first quick response to this thread. Most of the time, what we do is Band-Aid solution and we really need to get into the depth of the root causes for our sufferings and eliminate them. I am glad you enjoyed reading it. Wish you a very happy holi as well.

Viswa

Kamalji likes this.
  4. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa uncle.

I so enjoyed this snippet as you have explained the ultimate reasons for suffering. Whenever o suffer due to my ego, I say to swami please take this pain away and he does that some or the other way. The funny thing is that when I realise that I am getting pain due to one reason and when I come over that another reason pops up. I hope one day I will hit the last hurdle and be with pure joy.Thanks uncle
    Vani

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Vani,

It is amazing how we end up finding the root cause of our sufferings every time we attempt to journey inside of us and find the reasons. If we keep pursuing happiness from outside without finding the root cause of our sufferings from inside, we end up disappointing ourselves. Searching for happiness outside is like instead of searching for the keys in the dark room inside our house, we search for the keys where there are more lights.

Viswa

girvani likes this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    You have pin pointed the causes for our sufferings in a gist. A meaningful and thought provoking snippet.
    How nice it will be if we could overcome the root causes for our sufferings. If we keep trying persistently, perhaps we could succeed in our goal after a few janmas if not in the present one.
    PS

7. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

Thank you for your visit to this thread and I was eagerly looking forward to your response. You are right. We need to keep trying no matter how long it takes whether it is years or even many lives. That is why I have mentioned that time is only man-made because it is his/her memory that assigns linear time frame for each experience. Like what I said in another thread, it is a marathon where only goal is fixed and not the time.

Viswa

8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    A great treaty on'sufferings'.Couched in the best expression that can not be substituted.Simply superb!I do not know how to respond.

Whenever I think of sufferings, I am reminded of Kunti's words in Mahabharatha.
    “I’ve a deep sense of insecurity,” she continued. “Constantly struggling, and battling with adversities, I lost everyone and everything that mattered to me. I’ve mostly lived in great fear because my fleeting moments of joys were far and few in between. And now that Fate has finally turned up at my doorstep with a smile, I’m afraid that with all the happiness bubbling over, I may forget you. So, I beg of you, Krishna, to not take my suffering away because it always made me remember you. I don’t want to lose you.”

Although no one wants suffering in their lives, Kunti didn’t either, but in expressing her wish, she has highlighted the truth of human existence: suffering has a way of keeping you united with the source. By no means am I saying that we should go around asking for suffering (not that you would do it anyway), but I’m suggesting that perhaps suffering could be looked upon differently. Maybe like a season, a passing phase. I don’t deserve suffering is a statement Nature does not understand and Why me is a question it does not answer. Therefore, if we truly wish to get past a sense of suffering, we’ll have to focus on some other dimension of it.

One such aspect is strength. The strength suffering gives us, happiness simply can’t. The former stretches you while the latter relaxes you. Suffering is the scorching sun that makes us appreciate the cold. It’s the chilly night that makes us want the warm sun. It keeps us real. If you believe in God, then suffering adds truth to your prayers, it infuses sincerity and devotion in your personal relationship with him. But, most importantly, suffering keeps us on the ground, it makes us humble. And, humility, I may add, is the most important ingredient of a meaningful and contented life. When you go through suffering, something changes in you forever. You emerge stronger, wiser, more grateful and empathetic.

Agreed that you don’t necessarily have to invite suffering or lead a life of deprivation to appreciate life. Besides, suffering is not the sort of guest that needs an invitation anyway. But, when it does appear in your lives, which it will invariably, you just have to be patient and deal with it gracefully. You can’t fight with it or tell it off. You simply have to work on the opposite. In the dark night of the soul, you gently have to light the lamp of faith. Surrender is the wick and devotion the oil of such a lamp. Presence of suffering no longer pervades the whole room then, only some corners, some moments.

At any rate, let’s be grateful, for gratitude is the antidote to suffering. It keeps you grounded, makes you strong even in the good times. Suffering leaves in the face of gratitude; they can’t coexist. The pain may still be there, but the balm of gratitude gradually heals the wounds of misery. a famous saying is "pain isinevitable;but suffering is optional.".

Let’s not lose what we have in trying to find what we have lost.
    I have read a short story in tamil long back in my childhood days.

ஒரு விவசாயி கடவுளிடம் சண்டை போட்டான் ."உனக்குப் பயிர்களைப் பற்றிஎன்ன தெரியும் ?நினைத்தபோது மழையை அனுப்புகிறாய் .தப்பான
    சமயத்தில் காற்றை வீசுகிறாய் . உன்னால் பெரிய தொந்தரவாக இருக்கிறது. அந்த வேலைகளை ஒரு
    விவசாயியிடம் ஒப்படைத்துவிடு .
    கடவுள்" அப்படியே ஆகட்டும் "
    என்று வரம் அருளினார் .
    "மழையே பெய்"என்றான் .பெய்தது .
    நிறுத்தச் சொன்னபோது நின்றது .
    ஈரமான நிலத்தை உழுதான். தேவையான வேகத்தில் காற்றை வீசச்
    செய்து விதை தூவினான் .மழை ,வெய்யில்,காற்று எல்லாம்
    அவன் வசம் இருந்ததால் பயிர் பச்சைப்
    பசேலென்று வளர்ந்தது .
    அறுவடைக்காலம் வந்தது .விவசாயி
    ஒரு கதிரை அறுத்தான் .திறந்து பார்த்தான் .அதிர்ந்தான் .உள்ளே தானியம் இல்லை.எந்தக் கதிரிலுமே தானியம் இல்லை .
    "ஏகடவுளே ,மழை ,வெய்யில்,காற்று
    எல்லாவற்றையும் சரியான விகிதத்தில்
    தானே பயன்படுத்தினேன் .ஆனாலும்
    பயிர் பாழாகி விட்டதே,ஏன்?"
    கடவுள் புன்னகைத்தார் "என் கட்டுப்பாட்டில் இருந்தபோது காற்று வேகமாக வீசும் .அம்மாவை இறுக்கிக்கொள்ளும் குழந்தைகளைப் போல பூமிக்குள் வேர்களை மிக ஆழமாக அனுப்பி பிடித்துக்கொள்ளும் .
    மழை குறைந்தால் வேர்களை நாலா
    புறமும் அனுப்பும்.போராட்டம் இருந்தால்தான் தங்களைப் பாதுகாத்துக் கொண்டு வலுவாக வளரும்.எல்லாமே வசதியாக அமைத்துக் கொடுத்ததில்
    உன் பயிர்களுக்கு சோம்பேறித்தனம்
    வந்து விட்டது. தளதள வென்று வளர்ச்சி மட்டும் அடைந்ததே தவிர
    தானியங்களைக் கொடுக்க இயலவில்லை ."
    "வேண்டாமடா சாமி ,உன் மழையை யும் ,காற்றையும் நீயே வைத்துக் கொள் "என்று கடவுளிடமே திருப்பிக் கொடுத்துவிட்டான் விவசாயி.
    ஆம் எல்லா விதத்திலும் வாழ்க்கை சௌகரியமாக அமைந்து விட்டால் ,அதைப் போன்ற வெறுமை ஏதும் இல்லை.கஷ்டங்களை வெல்லும் போராட்டமே வெற்றி.
    (The essence of the story is a farmer accused God that he is not aware of farming.Hesends rain and sunshine at improper hrs and it is better he entrusts the job to a farmer who is in the know things.God agreed.Now water, air and sun shine was in his custody.It rained when he ordered,it shone when he wanted,there was wind when he wanted.He ploughed the field,was able to sow the seeds appropriately,made the wind blow in limits.The plant grew well.It was very pleasant sight-greenery everywhere.It was time to harvest.He opened a fully grown stalk..there was no grain.He opened all the stalks.No grain at all.againhe approached god." I used all my intelligence of farming but why did I miserably fail?'
    God said" When wind was in my custody,I used to make the wind blow fast.Just as a child clings to the mother,the plant made itself strongly rooted;when there was shortage of rain, the plant spread its roots deep in search of water and made itself strong.But when you were in charge, you have given every thing in right measure and never allowed the plant to struggle and grow naturally. So only it had pleasant countenance,but not the real beauty of fertility.
    Life will be a vacuum and empty if we have no suffering and if we get everything automatically.Real success lies in facing struggles and coming out victorious.)

Sorry for the boring long response.

Jayasala42

vaidehi71 and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

When I get such wonderful responses from you, it gives me a great sense of fulfillment and a purpose to write more. What a delightful response this is! I remember reading Kunti's request to Lord Krishna to keep her in sufferings as she tends to keep Him in her thoughts regularly.

This is absolute truth and the human mind works that way always. Moreover, if there is no suffering, we will not understand the value of happiness. After all, suffering is nothing but absence of happiness and happiness is the absence of suffering. If the pair of opposites doesn't exist, the goal of the humanity will get into trouble. If there is no Maya, we won't be seeking Truth.

It is the suffering of the human that gives him/her a lot of courage and strength and ability to overcome the suffering. It develops character that not only believes the existence of a single source but also seek.

Very well said. Isn't it what happens when we visit a Temple? The Lord is inside a dark Sanctum Sanctorum and when the camphor is lighted (symbolic removal of ignorance with knowledge), we have the dharshan of the Lord. When faith, devotion and human effort are aligned, we get dharshan of the divinity.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of the farmer.

Viswa