1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suffering From Decency Demands Syndrome

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 16, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Suffering From Decency Demands Syndrome.

Some people enjoy suffering from the need for decency. They keep on practicing decency softly and silently. Decency demands this, decency demands that syndrome!!!
    #Giving seat in a bus or train to the elderly, disabled, women even when your own legs are aching ?
    #Taking rubbish from your friends?
    #Taking no offense of the injustices meted out in the family ?
    #Standing in a queue when every one else is breaking it?
    #Abiding by the rules at any cost ?
    There would be n numbers of such instances when we keep silent just because decency demands it.
    What motivates us to observe decency? May be HOPE ! There will come a day when all will be okay. There will be no pretensions, no injustices, no partiality. We will live in a perfect world.
    May be HOPELESSNESS ! No amount of protest will work, so why protest at all.
    May be CONDITIONING ! We have been brought up that way to respect others and not to interfere unless asked.
    May be WEARING A MASK! For the benefit of the onlookers. To be treated as civil and caring.

Rihana, Viswamitra, joylokhi and 3 others like this.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Hope and conditioning in most times,sometimes we wear mask or may be hopeless that we can fight injustice.

3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    Hope, hopelessness, conditioning, wearing a mask....all these can be reasons for decency. One more reason....I thought, why I do not jump a queue or not rude...I cannot be otherwise. I feel that is the right thing to do, I cannot be otherwise.
    Good, thought provoking one.
    Syamala

sindmani likes this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari,
    I think only decent people will follow decency under any circumstance because they are born and brought of like that.
    PS

sindmani likes this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Yes, very often even at the cost of discomfort or knowing the other option would be easy, i still feel I go by what I feel is the right thing to do and ofcourse with the hope that others would learn from us.
    I think it is more important for one to feel they are doing the right thing by themselves and not just because it is the decent thing to do. Lot of truth in what you have written.

shyamala1234 and sindmani like this.
  6. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

sir ,
    It is no doubt the conditioning from the upbringing given by our parents to do right always . There,s also a sense of pride ( or ? arrogance ) that we want to feel that we can still do the right thing even when others are not . But are we not also trying to demonstrate that it is important to do right always in order to preserve the moral fabric of our society ?

shyamala1234 likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari
    There was a movie titled Deewaar starring Amitabh Bachchan and Shashi Kapoor. It has a story line that answers your question to some extant. Our character is determined by the company we grow up with. Doting parents lose their grip over their children as they grow up. One classic example of this is Mahabarath. I feel saddened by the life of Karna who was forsaken by his mother.
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hariji,

We have been hearing about the discipline practiced by the occupants in the twin tower since 2001 and still those minutes can never be forgotten. The fire fighters refusing to leave until the last person leaves the towers, all occupants patiently waiting for physically challenged, women especially pregnant women and elderly to be rescued first, the firemen carrying the weight of heavy physically challenged men and women down the stairs, others patiently waiting for others in front to take their own time instead of pushing them to escape from the fire and so on.

Some last their lives primarily because of this patience to be orderly in a catastrophic situation. Even after caution by the captain about the danger to the towers, the firefighters refused to budge to clear the building and kept climbing the floors and some of them came down when the building came down and lost their lives. Those two towers had people from many countries and they all helped each other during those stressful moments. They called the dear ones explaining the situation and some left voice mail that they may not be able to make it.

In my view, it doesn't look like a mask. It is a discipline already inherent in our system unless our mind breaks that orderly attitude voluntarily.

Viswa

9. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

There are all types of people :)

10. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

This very hopelessness gives courage to the explorer to exploit further.

sindmani likes this.