1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Submission Of A Dining Table

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 30, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

SUBMISSION OF A LONELY DINING TABLE

Your Honor, in the name of God I swear, I will speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

1. My name is Dining Table . I do not know who, when and why I was named as such. May be because all members of the family were expected to be eating together when dinner was served at appointed time, on my flat top made of marble or sun mica. I am inclusive of one table with usually four legs and a set of chairs ranging from four to 12 or more. I would not go into my parentage but usually I am made of wood.

2. World over there are different traditions of serving food. In India and in this household, where I belong to, it is said that in olden days food was normally served and taken in the kitchen. The guests/family members would sit on the ground in padmasan position, a small stool was placed in front of them and food was served in a thali with saucers or on a banana leaf spread. With the advent of the British, the educated class brought a dinning set and usually placed it in the drawing/living room. The guests/family members sit on the chairs placed around the table and food is served as usual in thalies or banana leaves. In some households as in this household, thalies and banana leaves have been replaced by china or stainless steel plates and saucers.

3. The basic idea was to have food together to follow the old adage ‘those who eat together stay together.’ I remember Dadaji (Grand father-God save his soul) Dadiji (Grand mother) Bade Bhayya (elder brother), Manjhale Bhayya (middle brother) Chhote Bhayya (Youngest brother) Chintu (elder brother’s son), Reena (elder brother’s daughter), Monu (Middle brother’s son) and Manav (youngest brother’s son) all sat on the 12 seater dinning chairs and would be served by the female members who usually cooked the food also. Dinner was a leisurely affair while, breakfast and lunch was rather quick. Female members took their meals after the male members.

4. It was around the dinner time that family issues were discussed, solutions found to controversial issues. Kids were encouraged, appreciated and at times mildly rebuked or lovingly poked. Decency and decorum was maintained but that did not debar members pulling each others’ legs. The atmosphere was jovial, serious or just right depending on the mood of the elders. Post dinner, there would be some more discussions before retiring to the bed. This helped in knowing whatever is happening to each member of the family and take suitable action where ever required. Thus the family meeting would end with a promising note looking for a better tomorrow.

5. After Dadaji’s demise, the eldest brother took charge of the overall charge of the business and his younger brothers supported him in production and marketing. Family business was flourishing as all the three brothers worked hard, talked to each other, consulted each other and in all cases rested the final decision with the eldest brother.

6. It all started with when Chintu wanted to go abroad to pursue higher studies. He was advised to have formal education in the country only and fall in the footsteps of his elders and look after the family business. He however persisted with his desire and finally the family agreed to send him to UK for higher studies. Younger brothers did not like it.

7. Reena was a bright girl and she too wanted to pursue higher studies but the family decided to get her married once she reached the marriageable age. Her parents did not like it but agreed to the wishes of Dadiji who was of the opinion that a girl’s place is in the family and they should be married off in time. I am witness to her cries and anger.

8. The elder one looked after overall management, finance and production and the middle one the purchases and sourcing and the youngest after sales and marketing. Competition was raising its head and profits were falling down.

9. The blame game started. Marketing blamed the production for higher costs and production blamed the purchase and sourcing for the higher costs of inputs. Purchase blamed the production for higher wages and production costs and marketing for not working hard enough to get good deals and higher marketing costs.

10. The dinning time was now a war of wits among brothers. Dadiji did not understand the business anyway but was heartbroken to see her sons shouting at each other. She too said good bye to all in her sleep.

11. There was no dinning time now. Everyone started calling food in his room and respective wives helped in furthering this divide. I was a moot spectator and mostly remained unused for days. Once in a while someone would sit on one of the lonely chairs, have a cup of coffee or some breakfast and that was all.

12. The process of separation was rather fast. The factory and the parental house were sold and the proceeds divided among the three brothers equally. Each one bought flats in the suburbs and started living separately. They started their small businesses.

13. No one agreed to take me along as I was too big and of no use to small families. Besides they wanted to buy new dinning sets. They given me to a scrap dealer where I sit in a corner gathering dust waiting for a savior.

14. My Lord! Is it my fault that I am no more the pride of a well knit family? Is it fair that in my old age I should meet this fate? Have I not served them well when I was young and useful? At least they could have given me a decent cremation.

15. Finally My Lord I request you to find me a family who has time to eat together and stay together. With this hope I have come to Your Lordship. Please help me or arrange for my cremation.

Yours Obediently,

Dining Table .

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good one Hari ji. I was reminded of two things. The "decolam" table that was considered an "upgrade" in my childhood neighborhood. Any family that had a decolam dining table, Sumeet mixie, fridge, and later a color TV, was considered to have arrived. Purchase of decolam dining table used to a communal experience, with expert advice pouring in from those already dining on one. Ours happens to have survived many decades and is in good shape.

The other thing that came to mind was two table features that I saw for the first time when table shopping in the U.S. The drop-leaf table and the table with removable leaves. The convenience was beautiful.

Why such an either-or prayer putting His Lordship in a vighna (challenging) position? : ) If not family that eats together, how about become a study table at a library, or to the conference room of a small company with big dreams? Or the game room/common room of an orphanage.

rāhateñ aur bhī haiñ vasl kī rāhat ke sivā
    there are other joys than the joys of family (re)union.

satchitananda, Viswamitra and Amulet like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    How true! Families are divided and nuclear families are the vogue of the day. I would not go into pros and cons of that aspect. Even in nuclear families family does not sit together and talk. Mobiles in hand. Some take the plate to tv and eat watching tv. Art of communication gradually going away. All the four in the family would be communicating....but not with each other. Someone far away!
    Syamala

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Who9 said "A family that eats together stays together? Dinin g tables are going the way of dinosaurs. They are either part of the interior decor or simply are not there.Most families prefer to eat in fro t of TV in the living room. Probably concurring to watch the samr show is what makes them stay together.

satchitananda likes this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

:blush:Yes... that's quite a devilish white out.
    I was also amused looking at the title as "submission on ..." (not of), and the additional "lonely" on top of the essay laid that suggestion on a bit thicker.

Happens in newly wed nuclear family's small flat, the dining room table in full view of kitchen stove, when the affectionate pair are cooking together, and cannot leave the stew to simmer on its own.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    HariLakhera and Rihana like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hariji,

When I was very young, we always used to sit in the floor and eat with hands. After that when I went to school, we upgraded ourselves with a foldable iron dining table which seated 4 people at a time. Generally, it was always, my father, older brother and myself sitting together. Regular days were uneventful but festival days were exciting. Invariably, all of us are fast eaters and don't talk much while eating. Most of the time, it was my mom asking questions about how did it taste?

Now, we have two dinning tables at home, one that could seat 8-12 and another 4. Most of the time, we are all eating at our own schedule and I eat my lunch in my home office and dinner while watching my tablet. None of us eat at the same time. My son is a slow eater and so is my MIL but for my wife and I, it is just a scheduled action.

Bonding between us happen only when we are all seated in a car and even if we need to talk about something specific, we get on the road. Luckily intense debates don't bother my driving skills. As I have to concentrate on the road, I can choose not to say anything or say something whenever I feel like saying something.

Viswa

satchitananda likes this.
  7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In an indian TV commercial for Hyndai car... a dining table, whole family eating together, and with fingers, and a car all are featured...

Those commercials are long !!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  8. HariLakhera

Amulet,
    You have a great sense of humor.
    Good ad. The problem is Delhi Government is likely to ban cars more than 10/15 years old to play in Delhi. hahahahahaa. No problem, it can go to Jhumritalya in Bihar. And with that the lonely dinning table too.

9. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Viswa,
    This is the story in each household. A big dining table, designer cutlery for special occasions.
    Family members have different times for meals. Yes going out in a SUV, chatting and having food in a restaurant is still alive. I am if it can replace the homely atmosphere. Secondly what if some member can not go out due to old age.
    On practical side, this is the norm and we get adjusted accordingly. As in your case myself and my wife still have our lunch and dinner together on the dining table and am sure it must not be feeling lonely.

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. HariLakhera

Yes Balajee, like traditions, sayings are also dying. Dining table and designer cutlery are still there but for special occasions with guests. As long as the family is eating together in front of the TV or anywhere, it is welcome. But the question is even families are also shrinking. From small to smaller to smallest. Ham do hamare do, ham do hamara ek, ham do bas ham do, and me and me.
    All signs of changing times.