1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

studying Acturial Sciences on H4 visa

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by pragatim, Oct 18, 2007.

1. pragatim

pragatim New IL'ite

Hi,

Does anybody know the admission process of acturial sciences?

I am from Pasadena. Pls suggest me the institute. How much this costs?

Can I do this on H4 visa?

Pragati

2. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi

You can study on H-4 Visa, however the institution charges you more, as your status is that of an Out state student.

Lets say there is a course which has 60 credits, each credit for a normal student will cost around $65 however to an out state it costs around $95 or so, thats what i was told when i was enquiring to the University of Phoenix.

So it turns out to be a very costly affair, Instead you should get yourself a Student Visa, that way studying wont cost u a fortune and you are exempted from the H1B quota too.

~Abha

3. pragatim

pragatim New IL'ite

Hi Abha,

Thanks for the reply...

I read so many threads in this site and from that I have already deducted a conclusion that I can study on H4 visa with somewhat high fee...

Actually my question is in particular for acturial science. In india this course is somehat like CA in its process of examination non classroom teaching.

I want to know who all are the institutes in Pasadena. How can I go about it?

Whats the procees?

Pragati

4. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Find out the universities in and around the Pasadena area (you can google or ask friends who are already in that area). Go to their websites. Find out the course that you are interested in doing. Call them up and find out their admission process. Find out if they have any financial aid for foreign students. Check out graduate research assistantships, teaching assistantships etc in the univ's. Usually they carry a waiver for the entire tuition fees and give a small stipend also. Go and meet the admissions professor (usually one prof has been assigned to talk to new and future students in each department) and talk to him about what you are looking from the course and if it really satisfies your needs. And ofcourse the employment opportunities from the course.

You will have to do all this leg work yourself.

Most of the masters programs ask for TOEFL And GRE/GMAT scores. If you haven't given those already, then start preparing for it.

I think as per current rules, you will HAVE to go on F1 visa (student visa), if you are attending college full time. There is no choice about it. But I might be wrong. Check with the international student office of the universities to which you apply as to the latest visa rules about studying while on H4. The last I knew (a few yrs back), one could no longer study on H4. One had to convert to F1.

In the admission application, along with your GRE/GMAT/TOEFL scores, usually you have to write a 1-2 page statement of purpose. So you can start thinking about what to write in there also while you are researching universities.

All the best !

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  5. pragatim

pragatim New IL'ite

Thanks dear ......

I will try this approach and let u know in case of any other questions.

Can I know something abt u and ur educational background?

Pragati

6. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pragati,

Abt my background -B.Sc. (Hons) in Maths, MBA (Marketing)... both degrees from India and M.S. in Computer Science (from US).

I'm currently working in IT.

take care,
    Aarushi

7. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Do you mean to say Actuarial Sciences in related to Insurance.I am also writing FLMI for insurance.This website might help.It is a self study coursea nd a certification in insurance.

LOMA Home Page

Bipasha

8. pragatim

pragatim New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the information. Acturial science is a course one can do after grduation in Mathematics and is somewhat related statistics.

Pragati Mohan

9. ssjohn28

ssjohn28 New IL'ite

Hi,

I have also been doing some research on studying actuarial science. But it seems like there are very few colleges offering this course. I am located in Illinois, there are 2 or 3 universities teaching actuarial science but since they are far from home, I have totally given up on going to college.

I cleared the first actuarial exam and am preparing for the second one now. I believe anyone with a Math background can self study for the first 3 exams. Companies do hire candidates who have passed atleast 1 exam for entry level positions.

Sunitha

10. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,
    Which course have you done for Actuarial?
    And where have you done it from?